1st damn run of liquor I'll ever make..

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cleco
Novice

1st damn run of liquor I'll ever make..

Post by Cleco »

...well actually, the second and surely not the last! My first small run consisted of flaked maize and sugar and was a cleaning run. I know it was an unnecessary waste but I wanted to try my hand at fermenting as well.

Now to the fun run;

10# Sweetfeed
14# Sugar
10 Gal. Water
50 grams High Spirits Whiskey yeast

5 gallons boiled water added to 15 gallon barrel with 10# sweetfeed. Mixed well and added sugar, mixed well again-all sugars dissolved. Stirred the mix occasionally for the next 40 minutes. Added remaining 5 gallons of cold water and mixed well with my Dewalt drill and paint mixer attachment. I let it all cool down to 80f and started the yeast in a 80f sugar bath. As the yeast was coming to life I aerated the mash one last time. Checked the OG-1.084. Added the yeast and stirred manually. Buttoned her up with an airlock and tucked away into a corner. Temperature remained 72f throughout the ferment. 13 days till it crashed with a FG of 0.998. Very dry on the tongue and indicative to an apple smell.

I pulled 8 gallons of wash and ran it through a 10 gal. Alembic. No thumper. DIscarded a little over 100 ml. of Fores and then started collecting through a parrot. 60% abv at the start and topped out at 70% abv in the middle. Did my collection in pint jars until reaching 45%, as I ran out of pint jars. From there I collected in quart jars until 35% and will add those to the next run.

One piece of advice I've seen repeated on this forum I've made sure to adhere to. Patience. Well, up until now. I pulled a pint from the middle and I'm enjoying it this very minute. And I don't know if it is because I made it (Im sure that has an influence) but damn this is good. I initially planned to run it again but I don't believe I will. :D I'll be trying my hand at learning to make cuts in two days.

Suggestions and critics are welcome. Just be gentle.. :thumbup:
Alcohol is proof God wants us to be happy.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: 1st damn run of liquor I'll ever make..

Post by Truckinbutch »

It's not waste when you are doing a cleaning run . Anything you can do to keep yourself safe is a positive .
Your first run will taste great to you . Particularly after the second drink that leads to the third . Save a bit of that to compare to what you re making a year from now if you stay with this hobby .
Cuttin that og back to 1.06/7 will be a benefit to you .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Great!
But just so you know , from this point on the hobby gets more and more addictive.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Truckinbutch wrote:Save a bit of that to compare to what you re making a year from now if you stay with this hobby .

I've still got a jar of my very first keeper run. Wasn't too fond of it at the time but it's something special now. I don't think I'll ever drink it, it just sits on my desk next to the still.

To the OP. If you like it now, just put a charred oak stick in a jar and stash it somewhere you won't see it. In a year your gonna be soooo proud of yourself lol
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

"Stash it somewhere you won't see it ". SHEEIT! Once you figure out you can make a good drop there is no hiding it from yourself . You just got to increase your production to get ahead of demand .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Cleco
Novice

Post by Cleco »

Antler24 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:Save a bit of that to compare to what you re making a year from now if you stay with this hobby .

I've still got a jar of my very first keeper run. Wasn't too fond of it at the time but it's something special now. I don't think I'll ever drink it, it just sits on my desk next to the still.

To the OP. If you like it now, just put a charred oak stick in a jar and stash it somewhere you won't see it. In a year your gonna be soooo proud of yourself lol
Good idea. I have a bag of toasted chips & I will definitely do that!
jb-texshine wrote:Great!
But just so you know , from this point on the hobby gets more and more addictive.
I have a feeling Louie the liver might agree!
Truckinbutch wrote:It's not waste when you are doing a cleaning run . Anything you can do to keep yourself safe is a positive .
Your first run will taste great to you . Particularly after the second drink that leads to the third . Save a bit of that to compare to what you re making a year from now if you stay with this hobby .
Cuttin that og back to 1.06/7 will be a benefit to you .
Yep, I was concerned with the high OG and wasn't really sure go to bring it in check. Plus I figured I'd roll with it and see how it goes and on the next batch I'll know a little more and get it lowered.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Can hear the excitement through your typing. Congratulations!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Congratulations bubba, I love my sf too!

Just wait, next thing you know you'll be rum, then brandy at some point you'll be on all grain. It's never ending and keep getting better and better.
Enjoy the ride!!!

Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Also, 1.084 og and you end it at 1.0 you'll have 10.92%
That's not bad at all imho.

If that has a bit too much bite then you can always tame it down some but I think it'll be fine.

Keep the heads and tails in a feints jug for to do an all feints run later. You'll find that an all feints run will produce a Hella good whiskey.
Cleco
Novice

Post by Cleco »

Shine, that's exactly what I plan to do with the heads & tails. I plan to mix up another batch of SF and hit the numbers on the mark. Still need to get a ph tester.