Some changes in the still to get more purity

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Some changes in the still to get more purity

Post by artooks »

Hi Guys

I want to get more purity from my still right now max I can get out is 87-85 purity, my still has a condenser 75 cm long and water is being pumped up in the condenser via small aquarium pump, each time in order to
get rid of air bubbles, I have to take the pump up and level with the condenser to get rid of air bubbles, and make it work at a higher flow, so I am thinking can I add something between the hose like a small hand pump or something else so that when I pump it with my hand it will increase the flow and stay there, hope I can make myself understood.

If you look at the picture of my still, the column below the sight glass has mas copper roll packing, if I add raschig rings and copper saddles also, will this help to increase my purity ?

Can I also add packing in the upper column which is above the sight glass will that help ?

Should I insulate both columns ?

Should I make the water goes in the condenser more colder ?

I want to hit 90-92 is it possible to get these numbers with these changes or what would you recommend ?

Thanks
Attachments
Still
Still
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Some changes in the still to get more purity

Post by der wo »

A column without reflux condenser doesn't increase the purity much. Also packing doesn't help much without reflux. Insulation stops the little reflux you have due to ambient air.
If you want more purity, dilute it and run it one more time or upgrade your still.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I am thinking what kind of upgrade would you recommend guys ?
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Put another condenser where the temp probe? Is attached. That will force reflux and make your still into a vm. Then add a valve on the takeoff after the top of the new condenser is open to the atmosphere. If it isn't open, don't put the valve in.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

that column looks like it's at least 1m (3 feet) , is it packed all the way through? or just at the top?

buy a better aquarium pump, then get a valve to control the flow (better overkill than underkill)

bluefish_dist is on the money, do some chopping and changing, get some forced reflux, or/and make your column taller.

will be the easiest (i recommend getting some stock so you can swap a bottle or so to a mate that can weld etc... if you can't)
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

This column is 1.25 meters ( 4 Feet ) I can make it taller by another ( 12 inches ( 30cm) so I can change the part just after the sight glass completely, but I need to know what I should buy, so if you don't take into account, the tubes after the sight glass from the top of the boiler to the sight glass the height up to the sight glass is 88cm, (2 feet 10 inches) so in order to convert this into a VM.

How long should be my column after the sight glass ? ( Maximum I can extend the tube is 67 cm ( 2 feet 2.4 inches) )
so please recommend what type of tee what valve control etc I should buy to make it into a VM.

Thanks
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Artooks

When you are running your still for stripping you do not need the bottom length of pipe of the sight glass if you don't want to. Some people like to use a sight glass for stripping runs to watch for when the wash in the boiler surges or pukes up in to the column.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi kimbodious,

Yes you are right next time when I do the stripping I will only use the top part without packing take low wines at 100-110 proof and spirit run in with packed column
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

I can't tell what size pipe that is, but being it's all tri-clamped, I would, 1- Take the sight glass and shotgun off, and add another section of pipe (as big as you can fit)
2- put the sight glass on top of that. 3- Build or buy a dephlegmator that fits your column to put on top of site glass. 4- Add the Shotgun condenser.
Pack the column all the way up to the sight glass. It'll be tall as hell, but it will work.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi, this is a 2" pipe
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

sorry but I do not have a shotgun condenser so I also have to buy it right
frunobulax