Need Help Building CCVM Still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Need Help Building CCVM Still

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

I have decided to convert my 2" triclamp still into a CCVM, I read DAD300's post about this setup but still some details was not very clear because of my understanding towards the subject, I am posting the image of my boiler and column, this column is 28 inches high and the sight glass on top of it is 8 inches high, so these are the parts of my still that I want to work with, I sourced some parts, and got some questions, first of all:

1) how long does the flex reflux condenser should be ? so that I will choose the pipe size, which this flex will go into this ?

2) My system is all 2" so can I use this as an 90 degree elbow ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083 ... PDKIKX0DER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

3) Can I use this tee ? this tee is 7 inches long ? As I said my system is 2" so I choose this 2" tee but is this correct or should I use an adapter to make this 3" or larger ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083 ... PDKIKX0DER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

4) Which flex should I purchase for 2" tubing ?

5) What about the top part where the reflux condenser goes in do I leave it open or try to close a little bit, in DAD 300 he used a 3" to 2" reducer, but I am already on 2" so I would not be able to fit 2 flex hose side by side if I were to use 2" to 1" reducer ? what can I use on top ?

6) What type of Liebig condenser would you reccomend for this setup how long does it has to be can you please give me some links to buy from some vendors ?

7) Where does the thermometer goes into ?

8.) How long roughly will take to get 1 gallon in what purity ?

so is that all do I need anything else to buy ?

Please help me with these questions and choices I want to start building it as soon as possible, therefore I will appreciate any help at this point ?
Attachments
still
still
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: Need Help Building CCVM Still

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

artooks wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have decided to convert my 2" triclamp still into a CCVM, I read DAD300's post about this setup but still some details was not very clear because of my understanding towards the subject, I am posting the image of my boiler and column, this column is 28 inches high and the sight glass on top of it is 8 inches high, so these are the parts of my still that I want to work with, I sourced some parts, and got some questions, first of all:

1) how long does the flex reflux condenser should be ? so that I will choose the pipe size, which this flex will go into this ?

This is what I used when I built a 2" CCVM https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00103W78O

2) My system is all 2" so can I use this as an 90 degree elbow ?

Yes, this will work just fine

3) Can I use this tee ? this tee is 7 inches long ? As I said my system is 2" so I choose this 2" tee but is this correct or should I use an adapter to make this 3" or larger ?

This will be just fine

4) Which flex should I purchase for 2" tubing ?

See my answer to #1 above

5) What about the top part where the reflux condenser goes in do I leave it open or try to close a little bit, in DAD 300 he used a 3" to 2" reducer, but I am already on 2" so I would not be able to fit 2 flex hose side by side if I were to use 2" to 1" reducer ? what can I use on top ?

Leave it open. You will probably want to add a scrubbie to the RC to help with cooling.

6) What type of Liebig condenser would you reccomend for this setup how long does it has to be can you please give me some links to buy from some vendors ?

I use a shotgun, but a liebig will work also. Lots of places have shotguns, like StillDragon. Mine was custom built by Brewhaus.

7) Where does the thermometer goes into ?

If you want a thermometer, you can use a tee instead of the 90 degree elbow and put the thermometer in the top. You can see how I did it in the picture that I posted in your other thread.

8.) How long roughly will take to get 1 gallon in what purity ?

so is that all do I need anything else to buy ?

You might want to add another spool to get more height. If you keep the sight glass, put it right below the tee that you use for your RC. This will allow you to monitor the column for flooding. I had one in my 2" and it helped diagnose a flooding problem.

Please help me with these questions and choices I want to start building it as soon as possible, therefore I will appreciate any help at this point ?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you RedwoodHillBilly this really helps a few points ?

1) how long does the flex reflux condenser should be ? so that I will choose the pipe size, which this flex will go into this ? what I mean is I am going to purchase triclamp stainless steel 2" tube extension for the top reflux condenser, but in order to choose the tube size I need to know how long the reflux condenser is going to be ?

2) The link you gave for the flex if I purchase only 1 will it be enough for the cooling ? also the connections of the flex do I need to change them or I should find a way to connect them to my water system ?

3) What type and how long the shot gun needs to be can you please give me a link and details for this setup to work properly.

4) I was thinking to place the sight glass on top of the tee where the rc will go in so I think your recommendation will also help me to show with flooding.

5) Overall in how long will it take to fill 1 Gallon with this CCVM setup roughly and what will be the purity

6) Also checked your CCVM still, I think you used 2 tees in order to fit in a thermometer is that correct ? so I would better be doing this.

7) I also use a aquarium pump in a big bucket, that works at full power should I be able to control the flow once I go into the CCVM setup
RedwoodHillBilly

artooks wrote:Thank you RedwoodHillBilly this really helps a few points ?

1) how long does the flex reflux condenser should be ? so that I will choose the pipe size, which this flex will go into this ? what I mean is I am going to purchase triclamp stainless steel 2" tube extension for the top reflux condenser, but in order to choose the tube size I need to know how long the reflux condenser is going to be ?

You could add a 6" spool on top if you want to. I didn't but it will let you keep it neat when you pull up the RC to reduce reflux.

2) The link you gave for the flex if I purchase only 1 will it be enough for the cooling ? also the connections of the flex do I need to change them or I should find a way to connect them to my water system ?

One will be plenty. I used adapters to get to 1/2" barb fittings.

3) What type and how long the shot gun needs to be can you please give me a link and details for this setup to work properly.

a 2" x 18" shotgun will be plenty. As an alternative, another piece of the CSST and another 2" x 18" (or 24") spool and make a dimroth product condenser. You could add a 45 degree elbow between the final tee and the dimroth to allow for output height and positioning. This is what I did on my 1st build.

4) I was thinking to place the sight glass on top of the tee where the rc will go in so I think your recommendation will also help me to show with flooding.

Actually on the bottom of the RC tee between the column and the RC is where you want it.

5) Overall in how long will it take to fill 1 Gallon with this CCVM setup roughly and what will be the purity

Depends on packing, column length, and the ABV of the wash/low wines. When I ran neutral, I stripped in pot still mode and then ran low wines with the column. I haven't run neutral in a while and when I do I use a 3" column. So I don't remember the takeoff rate. You should have no problem getting azeo (95.6% or thereabouts)

6) Also checked your CCVM still, I think you used 2 tees in order to fit in a thermometer is that correct ? so I would better be doing this.

Only if you want a thermometer. I use one to check progress, but I don't use it to control the still.

7) I also use a aquarium pump in a big bucket, that works at full power should I be able to control the flow once I go into the CCVM setup

You don't need to control the flow. If you look at the picture that I posted, I run the cooling water into the bottom of the PC and then run the output (top) of the PC into the RC. You control reflux by the position of the RC.

edit - added link to picture referenced above so that it is all in one thread.

Last edited by RedwoodHillBilly on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank again RedwoodHillBilly you really helped me to enlighten at a great extent.

I understand it, just a few couple things that I want to ask to clarify.

1) So if I add a 6" spool on top does the flex also needs to be 6" or 8" or 12" or do I have to extent it until it fully covers the tee valve completaly ?

2) Where can I get a 2" X 18" or 24" good quality shotgun ?

3) Sorry to ask this again but I want to make sure I get it right so about the sight glass, at the top I put a 6" spool just below I put the sight glass and below that I put the tee is that the right orientation that I should follow to place the sight glass ?

Once I finish it running this type of still is it similar to a normal still, or does it have some tricks that I should be aware of.

Thank you very much indeed you really helped me a lot.

Thanks
RedwoodHillBilly

artooks wrote:Thank again RedwoodHillBilly you really helped me to enlighten at a great extent.

I understand it, just a few couple things that I want to ask to clarify.

1) So if I add a 6" spool on top does the flex also needs to be 6" or 8" or 12" or do I have to extent it until it fully covers the tee valve completaly ?

The flex that I recommended is plenty long. I would recommend reading DAD300's CCVM thread again until you completely understand the theory.

2) Where can I get a 2" X 18" or 24" good quality shotgun ?

See my previous post. Also Google is your friend.

3) Sorry to ask this again but I want to make sure I get it right so about the sight glass, at the top I put a 6" spool just below I put the sight glass and below that I put the tee is that the right orientation that I should follow to place the sight glass ?

Again, read my previous post carefully.
You want boiler --> packed column --> sight glass --> RC tee --> 6" spool extension (optional)

Once I finish it running this type of still is it similar to a normal still, or does it have some tricks that I should be aware of.

Again, read DAD300's CCVM thread until you completely understand the theory. You may also want to research running a reflux still on this site.

Thank you very much indeed you really helped me a lot.

No problem. I think that I've given you enough information to do the rest of the research on your own. You'll learn quite a bit by reading. You will learn even more by building and running. Mistakes are part of the learning curve.

Thanks
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you very much indeed yes you have given me a lot of information which will really help on the way of building my still
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

You have alot of reading to do, artooks. But I just finished my CCVM. Here's some pictures to help

SCD CCVM
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

RDwoodHillyBilly was generous to give you soo much info. It really takes a lot of time to put all that info together....thanks Redwood, you are an asset to the community.
Here is my CCVM for what it's worth to anybody checking out this thread.
P1020212.jpg
Just to note: I built my CCVM before the CSST SS gas pipe was popular. I would recommend going with that instead of the copper double spiral (shown in my photo), as it is more effective.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Artooks, it is likely that you will need to lower the RC to at or below the level of the offtake.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
RedwoodHillBilly

GrassHopper wrote:RDwoodHillyBilly was generous to give you soo much info. It really takes a lot of time to put all that info together....thanks Redwood, you are an asset to the community.
Bah, time was trivial. I came back to this forum after the house cleaning. I just want to give back to the community and be helpful instead of saying "do more reading, use the tried and true, go away until you know more". We were all beginners once. These are my personal morals. [/end soapbox]
GrassHopper wrote: I would recommend going with that instead of the copper double spiral (shown in my photo), as it is more effective.
And a hell of a lot easier :)
kimbodious wrote:Artooks, it is likely that you will need to lower the RC to at or below the level of the offtake.
That is true. DAD300's thread explains the theory. Remember that this is just an easier way to do a VM. For full reflux, the RC will need to fully cover the take off.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thanks again I am reading DAD300 several times, each time I start to learn new things,
I want to put a thermometer therefore I purchased two tees, but RDwoodHillyBilly in your CCVM picture I see that one of the tees is a little bit shorter

I purchased two of these tees to put side by side in order to put a thermometer, but the horizontal side will be longer than your would that be a problem ? bacause I have
already purchased them ?
Attachments
tee
tee
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

no problems, I use these "long tees"
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi RDwoodHillyBilly, I am checking your CCVM picture in this thread, how do you adjust the RC ? by hand from what I read, but once you find the desired spot for the rc, does it stay like that when you leave it, does it require anything to stabilise its position.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

If the RC is a snug fit friction will keep it in place. Most people weave in a potscrubber or two which helps fill in any excess gap as well as provide a large cooling surface.

Some people use a pulley from the ceiling to haul up the RC but then need a rod or something to lower the RC.

I just move mine by hand and it stays in position. I have to stand on a chair to be able to reach high enough to move the RC even though I am 186cm tall!
image.jpeg
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:Bah, time was trivial. I came back to this forum after the house cleaning. I just want to give back to the community and be helpful instead of saying "do more reading, use the tried and true, go away until you know more". We were all beginners once. These are my personal morals. [/end soapbox]
Great to see that attitude toward newbies Redwood :thumbup: I think I see a change for the better slowly happening too. :thumbup:
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you very much kimbodious it really helped, by the way if I want to use CCVM still like a pot still, do I shorten it, take out the packing take out the rc and put a cap there with a tri clamp can it be done like this ?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

artooks wrote:if I want to use CCVM still like a pot still, do I shorten it, take out the packing take out the rc and put a cap there with a tri clamp can it be done like this ?
Now your getting the idea :thumbup:
RedwoodHillBilly

artooks wrote:Thank you very much kimbodious it really helped, by the way if I want to use CCVM still like a pot still, do I shorten it, take out the packing take out the rc and put a cap there with a tri clamp can it be done like this ?
Or if you pull the RC way up to the top, you will have a 1:1 reflux ratio. This works fine for stripping. For a true pot still mode, you can just remove the RC and cap it. You could also replace the RC tee with a 90 degree elbow. Either way can be done quickly on the fly for when you want to compress the fores and heads in reflux mode, then collect the hearts and tails in pot mode. You don't have to remove the packing, with no RC you won't get any reflux and you probably want to keep some copper in the vapor path anyway.

Lots of ways to skin the cat, so to speak.
RedwoodHillBilly

artooks wrote:Hi RDwoodHillyBilly, I am checking your CCVM picture in this thread, how do you adjust the RC ? by hand from what I read, but once you find the desired spot for the rc, does it stay like that when you leave it, does it require anything to stabilise its position.
kimbodious wrote:If the RC is a snug fit friction will keep it in place. Most people weave in a potscrubber or two which helps fill in any excess gap as well as provide a large cooling surface.
^^ what he said.

I adjust by hand. I have a scrubbie in the RC which makes a good friction fit and it will stay where I put it.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

+1 Redheadbilly

But honestly artie, you don't have to shorten your column for pot still. It won't hurt it none. Just take out the condensor, and put a cap on it. Boom. Pot still.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
RedwoodHillBilly

artooks wrote:Thanks again I am reading DAD300 several times, each time I start to learn new things,
I want to put a thermometer therefore I purchased two tees, but RDwoodHillyBilly in your CCVM picture I see that one of the tees is a little bit shorter

I purchased two of these tees to put side by side in order to put a thermometer, but the horizontal side will be longer than your would that be a problem ? bacause I have already purchased them ?
That will be just fine. On the one in my picture, they are different because the column is 3" and the shotgun is 2". The RC is in an unequal tee, the top and bottom are 3" and the side output is 2".
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

OK than I will only take out the rc and run it in pot still, thank you very much guys, this really helps.

About the thermometer placement, I am thinking to put it on the tee but this will not give me the vapor temperature, so what are the alternative to place a thermometer on the CCVM ?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

artooks wrote:About the thermometer placement, I am thinking to put it on the tee but this will not give me the vapor temperature, so what are the alternative to place a thermometer on the CCVM ?
Look at the pics of kimbodious and RedwoodHB.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I looked at them but they are in the second tee but that will not read the vapor temperature am I wrong ?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I am also using an 2500 Watt Heating Belt for my boiler, I think this will be enough ?

So once this CCVM is complete how I am going to run it ?
From what I understand, I open the heat at maximum at start then, I wait until it heats up, the initial position of the rc is at 100% reflux,
then slowly I will raise the rc to see until it drips this is not very clear, can you please summarize it in short please
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

kimbidoous has the thermometer on the horizontal path of the first Tee. RedwoodHB in a second Tee. Both is in the vapor path of the product. Perfect positions.
But it will read the vapor temp only when you collect product unfortunately. A small disadvantage of CCVM and CM stills. If you want to see the temp before collecting, you have to add something like slanted plates and place a thermometer under the first plate to isolate the thermo probe from the cold reflux (Bokakob design).
artooks wrote:I am also using an 2500 Watt Heating Belt for my boiler, I think this will be enough ?

So once this CCVM is complete how I am going to run it ?
From what I understand, I open the heat at maximum at start then, I wait until it heats up, the initial position of the rc is at 100% reflux,
then slowly I will raise the rc to see until it drips this is not very clear, can you please summarize it in short please
I don't know heating belts. But 2500 Watt sounds good.
You summarized it perfectly. 100% reflux for a while to concentrate the foreshots, then carefully rise the rc, you will see a sudden increase of temperature when the first vapor starts to flow to the side, collecting fores heads hearts and tails. The slower you collect the cleaner it will be. But do some further reading about running a VM or CCVM, that you have a wider knowledge about everything until the still is built.
Last edited by der wo on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
RedwoodHillBilly

artooks wrote:I looked at them but they are in the second tee but that will not read the vapor temperature am I wrong ?
You're wrong. It will read the vapor temperature going to the PC, which is where you want to read it. Not necessary to run, it just lets you monitor progress.
der wo wrote:kimbidoous has the thermometer on the horizontal path of the first Tee. RedwoodHB in a second Tee. Both is in the vapor path of the product. Perfect positions.
But it will read the vapor temp only when you collect product unfortunately. A small disadvantage of VM, CCVM and CM stills. If you want to see the temp before collecting, you have to add something like slanted plates and place a thermometer under the first plate to isolate the thermo probe from the cold reflux (Bokakob design).
True, but I don't see a good reason for column vapor temp except perhaps to know when to turn on the water. All that I really want to monitor is the collected vapor temp. If you really wanted to know vapor temp before output, you could add a thermometer in the boiler above the liquid level. In my opinion this just complicates things and has the potential to be distracting. You don't really need any thermometers. Don't over think things, just build it, run it, and learn how it acts. Experience will be your best teacher. You will make mistakes, that's normal, just learn from them.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you RedwoodHillBilly

About the CSST, the one that I bought 3/8 OD this is 60" so will I use all of it ? It will be better since it has fittings at both ends, also will this easily go into 2" spool ?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I am really wondering how will be the purity of the final product, as of now with my classic still max I get is only 87% and after that it goes down very quickly so with a CCVM will I continuously get high purity 92-95% ? just wondering what will be the difference with a CCVM and normal still ?