Need Help Building CCVM Still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

kimbodious
Distiller

Re: Need Help Building CCVM Still

Post by kimbodious »

StillerBoy wrote:
kimbodious wrote:I siphon my wash in to my boiler
When you state I siphon my wash, are you actually siphoning or racking your wash, as there is a big different in the result achieved
I siphon straight from fermenter to boiler, I do not transfer the wash to an intermediary vessel first (my understanding of what racking is)
a racking cane with the tip will not pick up sediment
I have been toying with the idea of bending some copper tube in to aa 180 bend and putting that on the end of my siphon hose so that although the hose is resting on the bottom of the fermenter the upturned end is just above where the sediment usually is
... a wash that has been allow to settle properly, there is no more than about 200 ml of wash left behind..
agreed, by the time I get back to distilling a wash it has usually sat for a week or more since finishing fermenting and unless I've been including backset is very very clear
Mars
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

still_stirrin wrote:Since you're starting a new sugar wash ferment, I suggest you look at and try Rad's All Bran recipe (also in the Tried & True Recipe forum). .... It makes a great neutral for those high proof runs
+1 :thumbup: and it smells great while fermenting! I now use a 500g pack of processed wheat bran in place of All Bran; about 1/3rd of the price.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

This thread could have been easily dealt with by having a guide to operating a CCVM still to refer Arto to.; similar to the other resources here written by Kiwistiller and Cranky et al :thumbup: Is this something we can prepare as a collective?
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Guys thank you very much, I will try Rads All Bran, lets see how it will go.
Kimbodious, thats a lot, yes when I look at this thread, it has almost everything building, running a CCVM, and progress, I wish I could also wirte here a success story, but it will come I am sure.

Thank you very much for giving me the courage to succeed belive me it really means a lot.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

kimbodious wrote:This thread could have been easily dealt with by having a guide to operating a CCVM still to refer Arto to.; similar to the other resources here written by Kiwistiller and Cranky et al :thumbup: Is this something we can prepare as a collective?
This thread is what it is. It contains a lot of info. Are yo trying to be the new RAD? :crazy:
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

kimbodious wrote:
artooks wrote: also I do a 6 Gallon wash but when I syphpon I think I leave behind 1 Gallon is it the same with you ?
No,from a 24 litre was I leave behind 1/2 a litre
Wow, that's not much lees. I think my yeast bombs are bigger than that.

Art, be sure to use a racking cane, a rigid tube, like copper, so you have good control over the location of the submerged tip. And tip your fermenter just a little, like 5o will do it. Then you can set your cane tip at 1/2 inch above the lees on the low side and get all the liquid except a couple of tablespoons. Of course you have to leave the solids behind, and that can be a substantial volume, especially if you are using grains or cereal.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
kimbodious wrote:This thread could have been easily dealt with by having a guide to operating a CCVM still to refer Arto to.; similar to the other resources here written by Kiwistiller and Cranky et al :thumbup: Is this something we can prepare as a collective?
This thread is what it is. It contains a lot of info. Are yo trying to be the new RAD? :crazy:
Just put in a lot of effort in this thread that is all. Not trying to be anything or anyone but myself, so I don't understand your comment?
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Guys I am doing the All Bran but need to ask a quick question I Read the thread at the beginning Rad using the cereal crushed and I think he puts it like that not very clear, but then he says he boils them so should I stick with the first one because I already crushed the cereal also the yeast is dry active yeast is that correct ? Please needs some help I am about to do it I boiled 1.5 lt of water with 1.5kg of sugar, now that is cooling down, but need to finish the rest so need some help.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Do it. No need for paranoia.

The bran flakes will (somewhat) breakdown in the boil, or gentle simmer. No need for a long hard boil. Then cool it down to pitching temperature.

This recipe is among the easiest on the forum. Don't make it harder than that.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

artooks wrote:Please needs some help I am about to do it I boiled 1.5 lt of water with 1.5kg of sugar, now that is cooling down, but need to finish the rest so need some help.
Nothing like using the forum as your servant.. :thumbup:

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

First of all I would like to thank Still Stirrin for recommending me Rad's All Bran Wash, I was not sure about a few things about the recipe but later I realized that I missed the last part where Rad gives his final recipe, anyway It went perfectly Ok, My OG: 1.074, I hope I can nail it this time finger's crossed :)
Here is a picture of the Flying Rad's All Bran Wash :))
Last edited by artooks on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Flying Rad's All Bran Wash :))
Attachments
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I hope that swivel clip is as strong as the carabiner....'cuz I'd hate for that wash to go.....smash!!!..all over the floor.

So, now you have 2 boilers...one for the reflux column and one for the potstill? Resourceful, I'd reckon.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

artooks wrote:Flying Rad's All Bran Wash
This is a sad joke !! They say a picture states a thousand words.. a few that comes to mind..

Childish.. Big Spender.. No Brains..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Still Stirrin,

I have hernia I cannot hold heavy items, for that reason I have built
Myself a pulley sytem to hold the fermentar and place it in the fermentation
Chamber, All the pulleys, swivel clips are purchased from a Sailors shop this
Setup can hold up to 100kg but thank you for pointing out that, the small boiler
You see I intend to use it in my spirit runs to use less water, the top part of that
Still I already got it from my old still. Thanks a lot
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

StillerBoy,

Since day one you did not comment anything productive, you have always
Criticized me and my still but nothing gives you the right to insult me, therefore
Please save this insulting comments for yourself and I would kindly ask not to
Post in my threads anymore.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

I've watched this thread and found it very interesting.
I have a CCVM myself, which I like very much.
The reason why I didn't write any reply yet, ain't the fact that I have nothing to contribute, but a bunch of helpful guys already shared their knowledge with you.
Surely, they got you right on track
I would like to know if you have had time for another run and if, what were the results..?
Btw.. your pulley system is a nice detail. :thumbup:
It shows me you have a hand for solving problems that come in your way.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Danespirit,

When I look back now, I have come a long way, but I must say this, none of this would not be happened, if I did not get any help from the good and helping people of this forum, they have opened my eyes, here in Turkey, I purchased my first still from someone who claims that this was a reflux still, at the time I did not have enough knowledge to distinguish a potstill from reflux but now I do, I learned that for a still to be reflux it needed packing and an rc, luckily my still is a modular one and with the help I got, purchased the parts needed to convert it into CCVM now, I have accomplished that, got 96%ABV really amazing, when I saw that number in the alcohol meter, I felt like I won the lottery :) I did 1 sugar wash with this new still, but it was unsuccessful, due to scorching probably, now I did an All Bran wash on last Saturday, so it has been 48 hrs just checked it still bubbling, I believe my problem is related with transferring the wash to the boiler with some yeast sediment, so this time once this fermentation is over, I will rack it to secondary and chill it to 40 F leave it for 2-3 days and then syphon it to the boiler, this way I think I may be able to get a much clear wash, then I will do a stripping run and finally a spirit run.
So I still need for the fermentation to be over and cold crashing for a few days, I will post my progress here, please contribute, as far as I understand you are way ahead of me, I am still at my baby steps :)
I am happy that you liked my pulley system, I am building rc planes from balsa wood for a very long time, so I like to build things that could help me, Please contribute, so that I can also learn from your experience.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

A sugar wash like birdwatchers, shouldn't give you any trouble with scorching. This is more of a problem when running thick mash with a lot of solids in it.
What I usually do with a BW wash, is that I rack it over in another fermenter after it has fermented dry.
It leaves the majority of yeast sediment behind. After a few days the remaining sediment, forms a thin layer at the bottom, while the wash degasses (rest of the CO2 slowly draws off).
At this point, I have a very clear ferment, ready for a stripping run. I just need to carefully transfer it into the still (siphon it over if that's easier for you).
The cleaner the wash, the less yeast can boil and give off nasty flavors to your product (which seems to me, is the problem some are struggling with).
I'd also recommend a stripping run, prior to the spirit run. Do a few of them, until you have gathered enough product for a spirit run, but be aware of a full boiler charge will take quite some time to get through.
You also have a pot still, so you got the perfect tool for this job.
The reasoning behind this is that you'll get a bigger batch of the end product AND you won't have any residue in your packing, as you would with one single run in your reflux still.
Some only take the foreshots on the spirit run and just run the stripping run full blast.
I take them on both runs. The crap ain't supposed to be in your drink, so why drag it through the first distillation..?
Btw..I don't think it's necessary to cold crash your wash 40F is 4,44 C. As you live in Turkey, I assume you need additional cooling to get the temperature that far down.
I let mine ferment at room temperature, which of course is higher during the summer time.
It also settles at room temperature and so far I haven't had any issues with doing so.
Thanks for your kind words. :) You know, even if I've been doing this hobby for a while, there are members in here who has been doing it for much longer than me.
I still read and learn from those amazing guys. One is only as good a distiller, as the last drop one has produced and the learning curve never seems to end.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

StillerBoy wrote:
artooks wrote:Flying Rad's All Bran Wash
This is a sad joke !! They say a picture states a thousand words.. a few that comes to mind..

Childish.. Big Spender.. No Brains..

Mars
StillerBoy your few words paint a picture for me. A bitter old man and an all round arsehole who loves newbie bashing.
Have a nice day SBB.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Guys,

A few days ago, I have purchased a roll of copper mash, because the ones that I have was cut too short therefore it is not as tight as I need, anyway I always check with a magnet to see if there is another metal is involved in it, everything was ok, I also wanted to check the ss scrubbers, it picked up immediately, in my last run there was SS scrubbers, around the rc, I complained about the metallic taste, I believe I have found my answer, not saying that it is %100 this but it still has some part to blame I suspect, I have changed it with copper mash now, I hope my next run will be better than the last one, today I read in the forum about copper mash packing and how much it has to be filled with and how tight, once I finished and packed I checked to see whether I can breath in it, ıt is ok, today I also lowered the fermentation chambers temperature from 80 F to 68F then after a few hours later to 59F my final stop will be 42F, I hope it will be a better wash also, I have some hop sacks that I am using for my beer brewing, will plan to use them during transferring the wash to the boiler, fingers crossed
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I'd say your assumption about the ferritic stainless steel scrubbers making the metallic taste is 0% correct.

Your still is a system and you need a systematic approach to operating it and for problem solving. You said the smell only came later in the run. You need to consider why did the smell only appear later?

You said the level of the liquid in your boiler went below the level of the external heating band. The wall of the boiler would then have got very hot under the heating band. Any loose material on the inside walls of the boiler at that place would have baked on and made a smell. Boil a kettle or saucepan dry and you will get a similar smell.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Kimbodious, yes you are right about the level of liquid its just that today I found out that the SS Scrubbers are not SS %100 so I also thought maybe that could also be the cause, because when I take the still apart after the run, I remember, they smell terrible, even worse than the copper scrubbers.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Packing traps odours from the vapour and condensate. Think of an infant crapping in its nappy. The nappy does the job in trapping all the bodily waste but the smell is terrible. Is it the nappy that made the smell?

Stainless steel is an alloy and there are different compositions that make up the range of metals referred to as stainless steel some of which are ferritic and can be picked up by magnets.

I have Choreboy SS scrubbers in my packed column. In two years they aren't showing any sign of rust or denaturing or made a bad metallic odour but they can be picked up by a magnet.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Lower grade stainless can be slightly magnetic, often this kind of alloy is used in scrubbers.
I had a needle valve once that was SS201, the magnet was attracted to it...very slightly though.

The best test method to determine whether or not the material can be used in a still is to throw it in a bowl of water, so it's only halfway under.
If the stuff begins to rust within a day or two, one has the answer. However, they would still be good as a scrubber..so no need to throw them away.
Scrubbers (especially copper ones), can be soaked in a bucket with some vinegar in it. Let them stay in there the night over and they are like new.

Tip: Like the still itself, scrubbers need to be clean.
I seldom use scrubbers for anything else than to retain the lava stones in my column.
However, pedantic cleaning is the key to success...! :eugeek:
A stockpot of an adequate volume is filled with water and a good squeeze of vinegar, throw in the scrubbers and give it a boil (open the window or you'll have the smell everywhere in the house).
Just let them boil up and then cut the power to the hot plate. After it's cooled down, the scrubbers should be absolutely clean from any residue that might have been on them, due to machining.
After flushing them with clean water, they are now ready to be used in a still.

It's not likely that your heating band should be the cause.
It can't possibly get so hot the stainless gives off some of its components...that would require a torch.
Furthermore, you have a controller to regulate the heat.
So the cause for that metallic taste should be related to something else...maybe the scrubbers..?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

Today is my first day that I have produced clean good smelling and tasting ethanol, it would not be possible without your help and guidance, so I would like to thank you all for helping out, I did the All Bran but with Kellogs Special K, one thing I notice is even the tails weren't so bad, at the end of the run there was a smell like a mint I should say, but that is normal I suppose, now I want to do a gin will try Odin's gin, I am aerating all the alcohol today, so tomorrow will make the cut and will save the heads and tails for the next run. :)
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

My first made Gin
Attachments
IMG_8441.jpg
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

[quote="artooks"]Hi Everyone,

Today is my first day that I have produced clean good smelling and tasting ethanol,....../quote]

:clap: Congratulations!
Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Cold Crash makes the wash very clean and pure
Attachments
IMG_8442.jpg
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

artooks wrote:Cold Crash makes the wash very clean and pure
Glad to see that you're getting the hang of things. Now start a couple of more ferments. Still lots to learn, but you'll get it.