My first flavors

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Nokum Stiff
Site Donor
Site Donor

My first flavors

Post by Nokum Stiff »

I have some friends that like different flavors so I decided to try my hand at a couple. I bought some blackberries, rinsed them well, put them in a pint jar and covered them in 45%. I let them set for about a week or so..maybe closer to 2 weeks...to extract the flavor and color. I made a simple syrup to sweeten the flavor a little. I added the berries, liquor they were in and more 45% to a bottle and added the syrup a little at a time so not to make it too sweet. The results have been well received by friends that have tried it!

Here's what I have so far...
From L to R: 1. My version of "Fireball", 2 & 3. Blackberry, 4. 45% straight, 5. Tart cherry, 6 & 7. Blueberry

---Stiff
Attachments
rsz_nsm_flavors.jpg
**Voluntary reading..MANDATORY, Voluntary reading!**
Cranky's Spoon Feeding For NewStillers!
Cleaning Your Still
Glossary of HD Terms
Safety and Related Issues

quando omni flunkus moritati
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first flavors

Post by Still Life »

If I can wait 6 months for a cask to age, I should be able to do this.
Thanks for the write up.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

That works . I purchase Monin syrups . I dilute a portion of syrup with spring water and use that to temper to the proof I desire of my double distilled spirits . Example : 10 oz blackberry syrup mixed with 34 oz spring water and refer to the dilution calc on the Parent Site to determine how much to add to my likker to get the proof I want .
Easier and instant gratification .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Nokum Stiff
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nokum Stiff »

Thanks gents!

@StillLife: These are really easy to make. As a matter of fact I thought it would have been more complex than it really was! The only part that I thought was "difficult" was figuring out how much syrup to use. I wanted it to have some sweetness while still being able to taste the fruit. Balance is the key. :lol:

@Truckinbutch: Where I work we use the same thing to make our infused waters! Monin Flavors What makes thing nice is that I can get whatever I like at cost so all I would have to do is place my order! :thumbup:

---Stiff
**Voluntary reading..MANDATORY, Voluntary reading!**
Cranky's Spoon Feeding For NewStillers!
Cleaning Your Still
Glossary of HD Terms
Safety and Related Issues

quando omni flunkus moritati
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

You can't beat that. You don't mind taking ya work home in this case. Dat be a good tang.
Gator Meat ;; Its whats for dinner