bumps inthe road

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

bumps inthe road

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I got the rest of the equipment for the still.
got the controller put together, the 5500w element into the guard kit, and all the wiring ready.
I attached the 5500w to the keg. added about 5 gal of water. small leak :oops: . thought I had forgot to tighten completely. took element off tightened more (as tight as I could). Still dripping :ranting: .
off to Menards.....thought there might be a problem with element. got a 4500w, this store does not carry the 5500w :doh: .
Back home, put 4500 into guard kit, tightened by hand felt a bump, looked inside. realized I had smashed gasket out from under the flange on the element. loosened, felt the bump "undo", tightened about a 16th of am inch or so. Put onto keg...no leak :D . I assume I did the same thing to the 5500w...... :shock: :ranting:
Put 5 gal of vinegar in, so about 10 gal total volume.
Plugged in and turned on the controller heard a hum, looked into the fill port. to quote Don Ho...."tiny bubbles".... :8).
about 3/4 to 1 hour later boiler at 210. kept feeling the column to follow heat up. about 15 minutes later temp on column top starts going up it hits about 160. I hear a little "tick, pop" :cry: I see a crack in lens #3 from bottom...... :x :evil: :ranting: . I shut everything down.
After the fact I realized I had tightened the clamps too tight.
I learned a lot from this "practice run".
Called StillDragon & have 6 new lenses on the way. With 5 extra I am sure I will NEVER crack or break another one....... :lol: cheap insurance.
I am sure you have heard of "Murphy's Law" Unfortunately I live under a different law....SC's law...."Murphy was a bloody optimist".... :doh: :cry:

I have a 10 gal ferment of Bird Watchers almost ready,, just have to wit for package to arrive so I can finish cleaning run. then on to the sacrificial run.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: bumps inthe road

Post by Mikey-moo »

Nice write up - I feel your pain re the sight glass.

I look forward to the report on your sac run :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

Thats a good posting. Keep us up to date. Postings like yours makes some of us feel like we might be right there watching and hearing all that ranting. :ebiggrin: Waiting to hear some more. Be safe.
Gator Meat ;; Its whats for dinner
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:
Called StillDragon & have 6 new lenses on the way. With 5 extra I am sure I will NEVER crack or break another one....... :lol: cheap insurance.
I think you were very unlucky to break one of those SD Lenses.
Ive been running 4 of those lenses with SD seals/gaskets for over five years now.
Ive pulled them out and put them back in a number of times over those years and never had one break or crack. Ive done them up very tight at times and still never broken one.
Not trying to give anyone a free plug, just stating the facts.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
Hoosier Shine9 wrote:
I think you were very unlucky to break one of those SD Lenses.
Ive been running 4 of those lenses with SD seals/gaskets for over five years now.
Ive pulled them out and put them back in a number of times over those years and never had one break or crack. Ive done them up very tight at times and still never broken one.
Not trying to give anyone a free plug, just stating the facts.

I am not trying to say that the lens was bad. The fact that it broke was 100% MY FAULT!!!!
I live under SC's law....Murphy was a Bloody OPTIMIST.......lol
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

SC's law? Do tell. I'm curious now
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

When it comes to stilling I believe that 'Murphy' is an optimist . The most random things will screw you if you are not 100% vigilant .
This is not a casual hobby .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Truckinbutch wrote:When it comes to stilling I believe that 'Murphy' is an optimist . The most random things will screw you if you are not 100% vigilant .
This is not a casual hobby .
100% true. You can't treat your still like it's a microwave. There's so many factors to can go wrong. Test your condenser before the start your run. Double check your propane before a run. Make sure your still is on solid footing and can't possibly fall over even if a dog runs into it. Etc...
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

yakattack wrote:SC's law? Do tell. I'm curious now
Murphys law:\
If anything can go wrong it will, at the least opportune moment.

SC's law (I have also heard it called O'Riley's law.)
Murphy was an optimist

The "SC" is due to ancestry and my last name.....