First Run:Do I listen the the still or trust the temperature

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

BumArmBob
Novice

First Run:Do I listen the the still or trust the temperature

Post by BumArmBob »

So I did my vinegar run to clean my still the other day and didn't want to wait for mash so I did a "box wine" sacrificial run tonight (Big box of wine and a gallon of water in my 6 gallon pot)......
I watched the temp go up to about 185-190 and waited...... and waited..... and waited. 3 hours later the thumper would only bubble maybe once a minute and the exit pipe of the thumper never did get hot. I upped the heat to 200 and waited another hour and still nothing.
It started to get late so I upped the temp again to just about boiling.. it was right at 210 and I finally got the thumper bubbling about every second. A couple of minutes later I had drips coming out of the worm.
Since it was sacrificial, I wanted to check it anyway and it proofed at 130......
So, do I forget the temp and listen to the machine or keep the temp and just keep waiting?
Thanks!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: First Run:Do I listen the the still or trust the tempera

Post by NZChris »

Put some sticky tape over the thermometer so that you can't read it.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

BumArmBob wrote: (Big box of wine and a gallon of water in my 6 gallon pot)
What was the alcohol content of that "big box of wine" you bought.. with the addition of water, you probably diluted the alcohol to a low level, that would explain why you had very little alcohol content, and what you heard in the thumper was probably the begining of water boiling when you reach the 210 degrees level..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

no buddy as you already suspect the temps are of no great use, trust yourself and how the still is running
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Stomp the thermometer , listen to your still , lay the heat to it , and when it goes to work you do too . Balance your heat and coolant flow to achieve the goal you desire . Be it a strip run or a spirit run .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

BumArmBob wrote: It started to get late so I upped the temp again to just about boiling..
The still has to boil or nothing will happen.