Need your opinion for my Pot Still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Need your opinion for my Pot Still

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

I am still waiting for my parts to arrive to complete my build of my new CCVM, this is going to be added on my already owned boiler and column, so my 30" Condenser and the short column is not going to be used, I have decided to use this as a pot still, do you think this could serve me well as a pot still because I am not so sure of it, I see some pot stills which are very short, but the reason that I am asking this is this is already at my disposal so what is your thoughts on this, I would appreciate if you could share it with me.

What I am planning to do is since I own a 8 Gallon boiler, I am thinking to purchase a smaller one 3 Gallon for spirit run, I like to do small batches, so these two boilers could interchange between them since they are, triclamp.

Thanks

Here is a photo of ths short column and the 30" condenser.
Attachments
Potstill
Potstill
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Need your opinion for Pot Still

Post by Still Life »

Having followed your posts so far, I think that'll make a fine pot still.
Give 'er a go and let's see how she performs.

Good stillin' to you.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Need your opinion for my Pot Still

Post by NZChris »

The reason for the hight of a pot still riser is to raise the outlet of the condenser to a convenient hight.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Apart from ecnomy and convenience, there's no real advantage to a short column pot still AFAIK. My take off is 40" high. There is a statement on teh main site that a higher column geives increased abv.

I suggest getting some copper in there though.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

NZChris wrote:The reason for the height of a pot still riser is to raise the outlet of the condenser to a convenient height.

+1... the height of the riser should be whatever height YOU need to get the condenser positioned where/how you want it to be. It plays little role in the actual working of the pot still. Make it 6 inches or 60 inches.... the likker getting to the condenser is still the same...time may suffer though... :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you very much guys, also as I said I am working in small batches so each time I make 6 gallons of wash and my boiler is 8 gallon, I am going to get a small boiler 3 Gallon for spirit run and planning to use it with the new CCVM so first I will use the big boiler 8 Gallon then will switch to 3 Gallon boiler on the same tower, the tower is 2" in diameter, do you think this is ok to do I mean 2" with 3 Gallon boiler, there will be 1.3 Gallon low wines in there is that ok or what is your recommendation, but will have now 2 stills which I can inter change between the boilers
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Iv a potstill head that is 4" × 10" and also a column i use for vm (when packed) that is 4" × 40" long. I have ran the taller column unpacked as a potstill and the difference is negligible to say the least.
Your still is fine. Well done and best wishes.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Instead of building a small still for the spirit runs, do bigger ferments so that one ferment makes three or four stripping runs worth of low wines. Put a drain valve in for quick and safe recharging. If you must build something, a Charantais style preheater would save you time, energy and cooling water.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Lyonsie says the difference in [edit abv, related to the ] height of the column is very small in his experience. I wonder whether the same observation woould be found if the columns were say 1" diameter rather than 4" ? :)
Last edited by Pikey on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Well I just want to do small batches, so taking this into account, is my 2" column diameter sufficiant for 3 gallon boiler ?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Ample - depending on your heat source !
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Pikey wrote:Lyonsie says the difference in [edit abv, related to the ] height of the column is very small in his experience. I wonder whether the same observation woould be found if the columns were say 1" diameter rather than 4" ? :)
My missus tells me the only reason she sees that other lad at all is them 3 inches :lol:
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.