My first UJSSM spirit run!

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

joeymac
Swill Maker

My first UJSSM spirit run!

Post by joeymac »

Gen1 Recipe:
14LB Cracked Corn
15LB Sugar
Red Star Active Dry Yeast
1TBSP Epsom Salts
1 Cup Crushed Oyster Shells
5-6 Day ferment @ 80-90F

Gen2/3/4 Recipes:
Same as Gen 1 recipe without added oyster shell or epsom salts.

Spirit Run in 15.5gal keg boiler:
9.5 Gallons of stripping from 4 generations @ 40% ABV
3 Gallons Gen 4 backset
Still charge total 12.5 gallons @ 30% ABV
Warmed up @ full power 5500W
Collected 325mL foreshots slowly at only 15% power, initial ABV @ 80%
Increased power to 20% to begin collecting heads at a quick steady drip (25mL/min or 1.5 L/hr)
Increased power to 25% at jar #4 producing a small broken stream output (40mL/min or 2.4 L/hr)
Increased power to 30% at jar #7 which gave a thin pencil stream (57mL/min or 3.4 L/hr)
By Jar #20 (last jar collected) the production at 30% power was only 44mL/min (2.7 L/hr) and smelled strongly of tails with a 57% ABV.
Cranked the power to 100% again and stripped out 2 gallons all the way up to 98.5C vapor temp and shut her down.

Final Yield:
325mL Fores
20 jars filled 800mL each (maybe around 70% ABV overall? I didn't measure yet.)
2 Gallons stripped Tails

Total spirit run time not including warmup was about 7 hours. Not to mention I did the final strip run right before that that so I'd been at it over 10 hours yesterday. Slept like a baby. :lol: I let the mason jars cool off overnight while sealed closed since they came off the pipe pretty hot. Much too hot to let air without losing too much. But I have them airing out now and will work on some cuts tonight after they've been allowed to breathe for 12 hours or so. I'm pretty excited. I tried a few spoonfulls (cut with water) straight off the pipe from the middle of the spirit run and it was sweet and smooth.

I'm not really sure what to do next in terms of aging after I make my cuts. I hope I can keep at least about 1/3 of the jars for blending. I know I want to keep a few bottles white proofed down for drinking and I'd like to proof the rest around 125 for aging on JD chips. For the bottles getting the JD smoked chips, I kind of want to further experiment with a few of those by using a small piece of vanilla bean, or dried granny apple chips, or maybe a touch of caramel sliced... or maybe all three. For the jars I'm going to leave white, I'm not sure if it's considered "done" after airing it out 12-24 hours or if it needs a few hours to breathe open or maybe a few weeks/months time to just sit in the bottle and age. Can white dog age simply sitting sealed in a jar on it's with no other additives? Any benefit to sitting on it for awhile?
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first UJSSM spirit run!

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

joeymac wrote:Gen1 Recipe:
Can white dog age simply sitting sealed in a jar on it's with no other additives? Any benefit to sitting on it for awhile?
yes, aging is aging. If there is enough air in the jar, or you peirodically let it breathe, it will oxydize over time, and some long esters will form, making it smoother.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I age my white dog using one gallon jugs and natural cork stopper, and it seem to work as the level go down some over a period of time..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

So I aired my jars with napkins on top for 48 hours and my 800 mL jars turned into 750mL jars... perfect fifths. :)

Out of my 20 jars collected from 80% down to 60% (everything before or after went into the feints) I ended up keeping jars 7 8 9 10 11 and 12 that that averaged 71%. I tempered them down to 110pr which gave me almost 8 jars. I'm keeping 1 bottle white dog, and aging the remaining with a combination of JD chips, dehydrated apple chips, madagascar vanilla, and/or maple syrup. Will report back in about 2-3 weeks
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

I did a bunch of reading and settled on these four combinations to try and find a solid recipe.
I took 8 quart jars each filled with 600mL white UJSSM tempered to 110pr and added 2.375oz Jack Daniels barrel smoking chips.

2 Jars: JD chips + 1tsp Pure Maple Syrup
2 Jars: JD chips + 1" of Madagascar vanilla bean (split in two) + 1tsp Pure Maple Syrup
2 Jars: JD chips + 2/3 granny smith & 1/3 honeycrisp apple (sliced) + 1tsp Pure Maple Syrup
2 Jars: JD chips + 2/3 granny smith & 1/3 honeycrisp apple (sliced) + 1" of Madagascar vanilla bean (split in two) + 1tsp Pure Maple Syrup

If you're looking to figure out the amounts of JD chips, 2.375oz JD barrel smoking chips adds about 100mL to your volume or looks like approximately 1/3 of a quart jar. And for the apples, I used granny smith and honeycrisp apples in a 2:1 ratio and cut the meat of the apple off the core then sliced them into thin chips. So basically, each 600mL jar was 700mL with the oak chips in it and then got the equivalent of a whole apple. In hindsight, I should have used larger jars as the apples basically ate up most of the open headpace. :/