First brandy

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

First brandy

Post by Bavis54 »

After three weeks of fermenting tonight I'm distilling my first all fruit brandy. I had 8 gal of wash after filtering,and I'm past foreshots now, I'm doin cuts in pint jars, first pint was strong, 150 proof but it has an incredible smell and pear taste, I can't believe just how much pear came thru. I couldn't be more pleased so far, and I really need to thank the members of this forum, I followed their direction and guidance on recipe. I did add 1 lb sugar n I wish I hadn't but now I know better. Der wo, cranky , and several others helped me n I very much appreciate it. Tonight I am distilling it thru a 15 gal copper pot still, with an 8 gal copper thumper, then simple copper worm condenser. I put a gallon of pear wash and a quart of 90 proof sugar wash tails in thumper. I started not to use thump keg, was afraid it'd take flavor out but so far it's great. All the wash is was pears, a tiny bit of sugar. Used bakers yeast to ferment. Will post how the rest of run turns out, but so far the first pints are best of anything I ever done I can already tell. Thanks everyone ur help is much appreciated.
semper fi
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: First brandy

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Good luck there Bavis54, sounds like you're well on your way to having a very good drop.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Congratulations bubba, I'm picking pears tomorrow.... happy happy!!!
I'm chopping and pressing, I'll ferment all juice and also ferment the pressings with a bit o sugar and water.

Glad 4 ya,
Shine0n
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Congrats on your first brandy run I know all the work you had too do to get this done.. I hope it turns out damn good for you. I'm still in the process of getting mine finished up and I know ShineOn has his hands full with apples.