What's Everyone Doing Today? Me, First Rum

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What's Everyone Doing Today? Me, First Rum

Post by Still Life »

OtisT wrote:Today, I learned how to shuck oysters. I need the shells to add to the ferment of my first batch of Honey Bear Bourbon.
Don't forget to eat those rubbery things within the shells.
Love them damn things.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Still Life wrote:
OtisT wrote:Today, I learned how to shuck oysters. I need the shells to add to the ferment of my first batch of Honey Bear Bourbon.
Love them damn things.
Ain't that the truth . Raw , roasted , fried , baked , boiled , or made into stew . How can you go wrong ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Still Life wrote:
Love them damn things.
Sorry, I'm not much for shellfish :sick: and tossed those little nuggets.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Today, the first thing I did was polish some panty dropper. I've got company coming tonight and there is an expectation that I'll have some sweet treats to share. :D

This stuff is delicious. Both are 22% ABV. The Blackberry tastes sweeter and looks/tastes thicker thank the Red Raspberry.

I used store bought berries this time. In late July and August 8) , when I can hand pick super juicy/wicked ripe berries at the river, I'll be making a lot more of this. :D
Attachments
Blackberry and Red Raspberry panty droppers
Blackberry and Red Raspberry panty droppers
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

The second thing I did today was attempt to "fix" some Vanilla Extract. I've had some vanilla beans soaking in some 190 proof hearts for over two years now, using it for cooking over time. I recently diluted some down to taste, and I was just not happy with it. Too much bite. I decided to test the adage that " time and oak cures all", and added some oak chips to what is left of my extract. (Oregon Oak, Light Toast). I did reserve a few ounces with no oak for future tast comparisons. Now it's time to hurry up and wait. :D
Attachments
Vanilla Extract
Vanilla Extract
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Those all sound great, Otis. Have to take that plunge.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Yesterday, Sprayed daughter's new allotment, to give her a chance, Picked St George's mushrooms for breakfast, checked the 2 fermenters I have going atm. The big one is heaving, no froth, just the surface moving like a river rapid with little swirls and random movement. Soon it will look like a "rolling boil" if the past is anything to go by. Sowed a little tobacco seed, trained grapevine and drank a little Brandy(ish) I ran a few days ago.

I need to rethink that one - different recipe called for I think. :(
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

OtisT wrote:Today, the first thing I did was polish some panty dropper...This stuff is delicious...I used store bought berries this time...
Yummmmm.

I too made a blackberry PD a month ago. Macerated 2 lb. frozen blackberries in 2 liters of 182 proof neutral (Rad's all bran) for 3 weeks and then did the sugar extract of the berries. When done and tempered to 40%ABV, the spirit is rich in berry flavor with a thick mouthfeel. I didn't want it too syrupy, so I only added a couple of cups of sugar.

The color looks just like yours Otis. A touch of sweetness, thick mouthfeel, and a rich berry flavor (blackberry is rich in antioxidants too). Poured over a ouple of ice cubes....yummm!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
gusshale
Novice

Post by gusshale »

Im new here. Would anybody have step by step directions on how to make this rum recipe ? I have a grain / sugar mash ferminting right now. Also, I have plenty of ec1118 yeast. Could I use that yeast in the recipe ? Im new and I have been reading all I can on this site. My first attempt at a surgar wash I threw away. It was a recipe that came with my still using frozen orange juice consentrate and sugar. I appreciate any advise on this recipe.
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Tried and true recipes are a newbies best friend, have a look in that section of the forum.
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

gusshale wrote:Im new here. Would anybody have step by step directions on how to make this rum recipe ? I have a grain / sugar mash ferminting right now. Also, I have plenty of ec1118 yeast. Could I use that yeast in the recipe ? Im new and I have been reading all I can on this site. My first attempt at a surgar wash I threw away. It was a recipe that came with my still using frozen orange juice consentrate and sugar. I appreciate any advise on this recipe.
Or if you want a simple rum, try the recipe on the first post of this very thread.
I recently brought this finished rum out for trusted friends and family and they didn't believe I made it myself.
They know I hooch, but this rum was a hit. I owe it all to strict cuts on the spirit run. It's a winner and that's why I put it in my signature line.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

still_stirrin wrote:
OtisT wrote:Today, the first thing I did was polish some panty dropper...This stuff is delicious...I used store bought berries this time...
Yummmmm.

I too made a blackberry PD a month ago. Macerated 2 lb. frozen blackberries in 2 liters of 182 proof neutral (Rad's all bran) for 3 weeks and then did the sugar extract of the berries. When done and tempered to 40%ABV, the spirit is rich in berry flavor with a thick mouthfeel. I didn't want it too syrupy, so I only added a couple of cups of sugar.

The color looks just like yours Otis. A touch of sweetness, thick mouthfeel, and a rich berry flavor (blackberry is rich in antioxidants too). Poured over a ouple of ice cubes....yummm!
ss
Hey Still. Have you ever had bad batches of panty dropper? I've made a half dozen berry batches with success, then two fails back to back. My first fail was my first try with apples. Used Granny Smith, and very soon it smelled terrible, like chemicles. Kept smelling terrible but I finished it out anyway. Letting it air a bit helped, but still offensive to smell/taste. I assumed it was the apples. I did a second batch with Blueberries, also my first try with blueberries, and it had some of the same smell issues, though not as bad. Tasts fine. Airing also helped, and while not offensive to some, I can still smell it. I'm assuming now it's the ethanol, though the source ( 95% spirit from birdwatchers SW) seems free of any scent/taste to me. Any thoughts?
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Take a sample of your etho and water it down to the same strength you are smelling the odur in your panty dropper. Do you smell it then?

Doesn't need to be a big sample. Few ounces will do
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

yakattack wrote:Take a sample of your etho and water it down to the same strength you are smelling the odur in your panty dropper. Do you smell it then?

Doesn't need to be a big sample. Few ounces will do
Yak, I think you got it right. While the source jar of spirits does not have the same smell, it is quite neutral, it must have gotten more air after I used part of that jar for the panty droppers. Before throwing it in with my feints, I let the jar of Apple PD sit airing for a little over a day and the smell was gone. Same for the blueberry. I think I will air that source jar again before using the rest of it, just to be safe.

While there was no chemical smell left, the Apple did not have a great apple scent. It didn't taste bad and was still at a relatively high strength, maybe 35%. I decided to air for another half day then I threw in some light toasted oak to sort things out for a few months. Another experiment to add to the shelve. :D
B b b
Novice

Post by B b b »

Hello Still Life,
So I tried the rum recipe you posted earlier in this thread and all I can say is WOW!!! My smoothest and tastiest batch of shine yet! Thanks a bunch for sharing that recipe!!!