My first AG is (almost) in the barrel

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

japsinok
Bootlegger

My first AG is (almost) in the barrel

Post by japsinok »

Finished the last spirit run of my first AG project (Carolina Bourbon) this weekend. It'll need to be watered down to 62.5% ABV. Sealing a 20L barrel with hot water today, and hope to fill it with spirit Monday or later this week (whenever no leaks are seen). Still have some 6-row and rye on hand, enough for maybe another gallon of hearts from a spirit run, so may go ahead and ferment two more times, enough for a small spirit run and age that in glass with toasted/charred to compare with what comes out of the barrel.
Just another pot stiller
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first AG is (almost) in the barrel

Post by Still Life »

Sounds great. Enjoying some Honey Bear bourbon myself and have some sitting in a tiny 3-liter barrel.
I think I have barrel envy-itis.
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

Honey Bear Bourbon is next up for me. I have HBB envy-itis!! :lol: Though that one will likely go in a used barrel.

My very first 20L barrel has seen 3 uses aging UJSSM, and it's third filling took nearly a year to impart character/flavor. So, last summer I took the heads off, scraped and recharred inside, and made two new 1/4 sawn white oak heads (one of which is charred). Somehow I was fortunate that it did not leak after re-assembly.The new heads will hopefully impart some flavor, and the recharred staves will at least filter and color that HBB that is next in line!!.

Gotta love barrels!! Though I do love the sticks n glass too!!
Just another pot stiller
robdouglas
Novice

Post by robdouglas »

japsinok wrote:Honey Bear Bourbon is next up for me. I have HBB envy-itis!! :lol: Though that one will likely go in a used barrel.

My very first 20L barrel has seen 3 uses aging UJSSM, and it's third filling took nearly a year to impart character/flavor. So, last summer I took the heads off, scraped and recharred inside, and made two new 1/4 sawn white oak heads (one of which is charred). Somehow I was fortunate that it did not leak after re-assembly.The new heads will hopefully impart some flavor, and the recharred staves will at least filter and color that HBB that is next in line!!.

You can also add fresh sticks in the barrel. Join them with stainless steel wire so you pull them back out again. I also age on sticks in glass until i have enough to fill a barrel. You can also put and take using glass aged to top up as you draw off.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

robdouglas wrote:
japsinok wrote:Honey Bear Bourbon is next up for me. I have HBB envy-itis!! :lol: Though that one will likely go in a used barrel.

You can also add fresh sticks in the barrel. Join them with stainless steel wire so you pull them back out again. I also age on sticks in glass until i have enough to fill a barrel. You can also put and take using glass aged to top up as you draw off.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thanks Rob, adding sticks to the barrel has crossed my mind, though linking them with ss hadn't occurred to me.
Just another pot stiller