First ag run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

First ag run

Post by Bavis54 »

Ran my first all grain stripping run last night. Had 14 gal of wash, starting og was 1.045, ended at .999-recipe was 60 percent corn, 20 percent white wheat, 20 distillers malt. Turned out really smooth, I ran wash in thumper. One thing was different from my brandy and sugar heads, the cuts were really distinct- I used pints, 1st 2 were 130 proof, then held at 120, then about 7 pints in it dropped to 80 proof, then after 3 pints at 80 dropped down to 30, then got cloudy n I stopped. Is this the norm for ag runs? The whiskey is airing now, out of 14 gal wash I got almost 2 gal. The taste is totally different from a sugar wash with corn n wheat thrown in. I see now why it's held in high regards- it's tough not to dust that fermenter with sugar. Lol but it's worth it.
semper fi
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: First ag run

Post by still_stirrin »

Not bad for a "one and done" run.

Typically, I would do 3 strip runs and a spirit run with the low wines from the 3 strip runs. I ferment 10 gallons at a time, so the 3 strips gives me 27-28 gallons to run. In the end, I would expect 3-1/2 to 4 gallons of cask strength.

So, it sounds like your first all grain is about "par".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

I'm new to doing all grain, n new to doin multiple distillations, when dad made likker he jus ran it one time, n it was so rough u could strip paint off titanic with it, If I understood what I been reading, then I do several strip runs til I have enough to run for a spirit run. So basically ur saying after 3 10 gal strip runs u have 3.5-4 gal of distillate for ur final spirit run. Is that correct? Last night I ran mine a little faster n hotter than normally would, I read on here it's ok to do that for strip run. N I also noticed more fusils coming out too. Dunno if that's y, even tho it was strip run I separated cuts jus to see wat was goin on. I have a 15 gal pot so it's gonna take me several strip runs to get enough for spirit run.
semper fi
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Thank you ss for ur help
semper fi
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Bavis54 wrote:...after 3 10 gal strip runs u have 3.5-4 gal of distillate for ur final spirit run. Is that correct?
No. That is the product from the spirit run. Each strip run produces 3 gallons of low wines such that the spirit run charge is 9 gallons.
Bavis54 wrote:Last night I ran mine a little faster n hotter than normally would, I read on here it's ok to do that for strip run. N I also noticed more fusils coming out too. Dunno if that's y, even tho it was strip run I separated cuts jus to see wat was goin on. I have a 15 gal pot so it's gonna take me several strip runs to get enough for spirit run.
That is to be expected. If you read kiwistiller's guide to cuts, you'll see how the constituents come over throughout the run. Running faster/more power causes more smearing throughout as well. So I would expect that you'd notice the tails more throughout the run.

But, it IS a stripping run. So you don't need to make cuts on it. Educational...sure. But no need for more questions why it tastes crappy. It's a strip...meaning, there's another pass planned.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Thanks for the input
semper fi
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

You are doing well and have come a long way Bavis, :thumbup: :thumbup: Sorry that I was harsh on you early on :oops:
Keep up the good work and you can always do a sugarhead from your spent grains - reuse and always better than an all sugar wash.

OVZ
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Hey thank you OVZ- no need for apology bc to be quite truthful u were correct, if I look hard n really research here at some time or other someone has already talked about or asked wat I'm stuck on. I am ashamed of the way I got all pissy n for that I owe u an apology. I am very sorry for cursing u n being so rude. I cannot think of a single time I asked for help or advice here that someone did not help me with great accuracy. I enjoy this stuff so much that when it's midnight n I'm bent over a mash pot wondering why got no conversion or wat went wrong I panic instead of stepping back n searching here. N it's easier to ask instead of doin a bit of finger walking or research. But I am trying to get better. I very much enjoy learning and conversing with the ppl on here.
semper fi