Filtering with two stage Filter housing

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Filtering with two stage Filter housing

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

Since morning, I have been reading about wash filtering in the site using Google search, my main target is to get the wash crystal clear in the boiler, people mainly say that time is the actual tool to clear the wash, or cold crashing, but not even 1 post I find about filtering using a two stage filtering housing with 10 inch filters first one being 5 micron and the other one being 1 micron just like in home brewing beer, but I start to feel that it is not the case here, also I wanted to attach a peristaltic pump to get it out this is my idea I do not know if it is possible with this pump but I want to build something that will enable me to get a clear wash to transfer to the boiler, without waiting much, I also looked at a thread where they were talking about Buon wino filter kit, but it was said that it is clogged immediately, so is there a way to achieve it, or should I just forget it. and stick with waiting, cold crashing racking to secondary etc.

Thanks
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Re: Filtering with two stage Filter housing

Post by ShineRunner »

What are you trying to filter? From what I've seen, you're making sugar washes, not AG corn. Those should be easy enough to stick a paint strainer or some other kind of mesh on the end and filter out the large particles. It won't filter yeast out, but is that a problem for you? I filter with a strainer into a carboy and let it sit overnight. Rack it the next day, but honestly, not entirely sure that's necessary.

I imagine that any filter, especially one that fine will clog very very quickly and be useless. We're not making wine or beer here. It doesn't need to be exactly crystal clear to make good booze.

SR
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

The reason that I am thinking about this is because I have had some scorching so I am aiming to get a very clear wash, but I did make some trials with 40 micron filter papers it clogged instantly, so I see that it is not very practical, I do not want to have any yeast particles in the boiler, so I thought maybe I can get away with a 2 stage filter and pump, but it looks like it will not I suppose. thank you ShineRunner.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

I thought your scorching was from your liquid level getting too low? Your heating band was above the liquid- and it scorched. There's no reason to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Just fill it higher and calculate how much distilllate you expect to get out.

Or am I wrong with this?

SR
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Shinerunner, yes the last wash I highly suspect that it was due to the minimum level of water that I filled the boiler, caused an off smell, that I could not get rid of even I did the seconnd distillation, but lets see how my All Bran will go.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Maybe the wash wasn't fermented completely dry?

You shouldn't need to filter really. Ferment more so that you don't have to wait for your washes to clear on their own.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Ok I get but from what I understand there is no point in using a filter due to the high clogging in this case I will
Wait 2 weeks for each wash so it will give the wash enough time to clear also ı will cold crash to 40 degrees Fahrenheit
For 2-3 days so this will also help lets see how it will play this time
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

artooks wrote:Ok I get but from what I understand there is no point in using a filter due to the high clogging in this case I will
Wait 2 weeks for each wash so it will give the wash enough time to clear also ı will cold crash to 40 degrees Fahrenheit
For 2-3 days so this will also help lets see how it will play this time
Cold crashing will solve a lot of your problems. When I did sugar washes, I just used 1 gal buckets to move the clear wash from my fermenter to 6 gal buckets to cold crash in a spare refrigerator. By pouring it into the 6 gal buckets, I also degassed the wash, which helped the clearing process. Never had a scorch problem, even doing a stripping run with a 5500W element in the boiler.

Keep on keeping on, you'll get it. Mistakes are part of the learning process.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Process to clear a sugar wash so as to not have scorching..

Once the SG indicates that fermenting is done.. give the wash an extra two days.. rack the wash off its lee with a racking cane with a tip.. degas the wash well for a good 5 minutes using a drill with a paint stirrer.. allow the wash to sit for 5 to 10 days depending on the wash done.. then rack off the lee into the boiler or into another fementer for storage.. I speed up the clarifying process by using a 2 part clarifier than is used in making wine after degassing.. it is that easy, no filtering, just time.. rushing is what is causing you all the problems..

Mars
Last edited by StillerBoy on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

If you don't like waiting for a wash that uses bakers yeast to clear then go back to using Turbo yeasts; sure it won't taste very nice but you won't have to wait long.

If waiting time is an issue but money isn't then buy bulk wine and distill from that

The other thing you can try is to buy more fermenters and set up the washes a week apart so that you'll never have long to wait to run a still.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
RedwoodHillBilly

StillerBoy wrote:Process to clear a wash so as to not have scorching..

Once the SG indicates that fermenting is done.. give the wash an extra two days.. rack the wash off its lee with a racking cane with a tip.. degas the wash well for a good 5 minutes using a drill with a paint stirrer.. allow the wash to sit for 5 to 10 days depending on the wash done.. then rack off the lee into the boiler or into another fementer for storage.. I speed up the clarifying process by using a 2 part clarifier than is used in making wine after degassing.. it is that easy, no filtering, just time.. rushing is what is causing you all the problems..

Mars
Way too much work. You can just wait a couple of days after ferment is done, then rack off the clear wash into your boiler. If you want, cold crashing will give you an even clearer wash to distill. Your choice.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

My fermentation chamber is actually a freezer but it is temperature controlled, so I have completed 8 days with my Kellogs Special K wash, is it possible to cold crash without moving to secondary, I can take the temperature down, but I want to do less work at the same time, do you think the wash will benefit from a cold crash without moving to the secondary vessel.
RedwoodHillBilly

artooks wrote:My fermentation chamber is actually a freezer but it is temperature controlled, so I have completed 8 days with my Kellogs Special K wash, is it possible to cold crash without moving to secondary, I can take the temperature down, but I want to do less work at the same time, do you think the wash will benefit from a cold crash without moving to the secondary vessel.
Sure, cold crash in place, you'll be fine. Being lazy efficient is a good thing.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

Everyone, I have been cold crashing for the last 2 days, at 41F the wash has become incredibly translucent, I have been reading in the forum that some people is doing the cold crash at 33F is that ok because this looks very cold to me, but at the same time, this wash also contains probably somewhere around 10%-14% ethanol, which probably makes freezing point lower, can I do a cold crash at 33F ? But this has solved many of my problems I am planning to distill this Saturday so 4 days later, I believe it will be in a better state, will also be filtering it from a beer hop sack, I think ıt will be better this time
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

artooks wrote:....but not even 1 post I find about filtering using a two stage filtering housing with 10 inch filters first one being 5 micron and the other one being 1 micron just like in home brewing beer....
Sound like a good excuse to try it, since nobody else has. :thumbup:
I've often wondered, what difference a clear wash makes
But was too lazy to find out :lol:
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

Today I am really happy, for the first time my Kellogs Special K wash was crystal clear, I just want to right it straight away how I achieved that, so that maybe it could also help the others, for this wash my fermentation started at 80℉ then after the fermentation was over in 7 days I lowered it to 68℉ after a few hours to 59℉ kept it like this for 1 day than I took it to 41℉ and the last day to 35℉, today I started the syphon also put a hop sack in from of the boiler from the top level of the wash not to disturb the lees, what was different that I saw, the wash was coming crystal clear, I did not quite understand why there was not even a slight change in the colour, but this was good normally near the end I leave some wash because I do not want to disturb the yeast cake, but this time, as I come near the end the wash was still coming very clear, so I tilted the fermentor, and start getting the rest still clear, as I was looking down the fermentor, I saw that the wash finished, and the yeast cake almost frozen, not moved :) in the picture you can see It, it look a little bit changed due to the tilting I did but overall it was perfect, so once I finish transferring, I give it a good stir, and take a sample with a glass to see the colour, it was what I always wanted, as of now I am distilling waiting for the boiler to heat up, also I looked at the hop sack to see if it catches anything it was clear like new nothing on it, so all in all this really helped me a lot, just my experience so maybe other could also benefit. Thanks guys you really helped me a lot, I really mean it.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Kellogs Special K Wash
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

You've come a long way, Artooks.
Looking good!
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I can confirm, I have already get 2.5lt of Ethanol even in the stripping run there is no bad smell, it is all good now.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

Finished the stripping run, My OG: 1.074 FG: 0.983 therefore my wash is 11.74% ABV so from 25 litres I got 24 litres and I need to get 24 X %11.74 = 2.8176 lt of Ethanol, I run it till %20 ABV and in total got 2.382 lt so the difference is 2.8176 - 2.382 = 0.435 ml this is the amount that I could not get, probably, it was lost in the boiler, I find out that I could not get all the alcohol from the run which is ok still I got %84.50 of the contained ethanol which is still a good number, I run it till %20 ABV in the stripping run. below you will see the inside of the wash after the run has finished, see how clear it is inside the boiler, I am happy with the overall result ?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

My boiler and Stripping Run Etahnol.
Attachments
rsz_bottles.jpg
rsz_boiler.jpg
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

What was the %ABV of the product you collected?
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

My overall %ABV of the product collected is %48.60 ABV after the stripping run and the total volume collected is 4,902 ml.