First run (successfully)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boomed Bert
Novice

First run (successfully)

Post by Boomed Bert »

So I have been kinda winging it in the past to get some runs through my new still. Once it came time to get serious and do one for keeps I chose Jimbo's half barrel. I don't have a container/still that large so I broke it into thirds and had three buckets going. I had to make adjustments since the smaller buckets cooled faster than the large container Jimbo uses. Cooked the corn for about an hour and then added to bucket and wrapped with blankets to allow gelatonization since adding boiling water and allowing it to steep wasn't working. Plus I'm using all cracked corn so I'll probably just have to do this each time. Once it cooled I put back on low heat for 45 mins with wheat and rye and then rewrapped with blankets to allow a good conversion time. Added yeast the next day and it fermented fast. 6 days later cleared grains and allowed to settle overnight. Ran stripping runs and came out with 4 full growlers, a little over 64 ounces each. Reran that the next day and pulled about 2 growlers 3/4 of the way full of hearts at 65%. Have the sugar gumballhead fermenting now can't wait to see how that comes out. My bourbon has some oak spirals in it now aging and already smells wonderful after just sitting overnight. Feels good, probably wouldn't be here without all the info on here can't wait to perfect this and try some other recipes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First run (successfully)

Post by Still Life »

Good going, Bert!
Love a good success story!
I bet the flavor rocks.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Congratulations, I have also had great success with modifying Jimbo's single malt AG recipe.
Boomed Bert
Novice

Post by Boomed Bert »

Yeah it's coming all real nice and tastes tits already. I couldn't help myself and tried some the other night, the color and smell are coming around real nice too. I can't wait to do it a few more times and see how much better it gets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk