My first run with 5L glass still (NOW WITH VIDEO)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

superblah
Novice

My first run with 5L glass still (NOW WITH VIDEO)

Post by superblah »

Went better than I expected. I decided to do my first run with leftover table wine from a recent party, so 'quality in, quality out' tells me what I'm getting.
I played it safe and took out a full 50ml for my fore shots on a 1 gallon load.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=66385 ---post about the still
Watching this thing is like watching a lava lamp, it's awesome to watch it all happening. You can actually see droplets forming at the beginning of the condenser, and see the alcohol streaming down the sides of the boiler. I made cuts in 100ml fractions, just enough to take a reading. They came out at 67% , 63%, 56% , 46% and then into the tails.
I combined the second, third, and fourth fractions after allowing them to breath overnight and then diluting each to 40% and tasting them. I added a small amount of the heads into the mix because despite the burning, it was impressively flavorful. I ended up with about 2.5 cups of good stuff and 2 cups of feints that are now in my boiler with more wine for another go. I'm hooked!

here's a gif of the condenser
http://imgur.com/WlffTaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last edited by superblah on Mon May 22, 2017 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first run with 5L glass still

Post by Still Life »

A glass still has to add an intriguing visual element to a process left otherwise to imagination.
JUST BE CAREFUL. Your glass gives me the willies when I think of a hot break.
Glad your hooch came out good. That what it's all about.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

I had a look at your equipment in the other thread.
Having a glass still is quite unusual in this forum, a few have plated columns out of Borosilicate glass...most have copper, stainless or a combination, though.
I'll spare you from further preaching about safety, as I think you know that by now.
Is that a Graham cooler you have as a PC..?
I really like the setup you have, reminds me of the chemistry class at school.. :eugeek:
The still will be great for experimenting with small batches and/or making Gin, Brandy or infused spirits.
Making brandy and blending afterward, can be challenging.
What I usually do, is to let the spirits air out over night...likewise the heads (they will mellow out too).
Next day I use a graduated glass cylinder to measure the exact amount of heads I want to add (usually not much).
if I screw it, I wouldn't ruin the whole batch, but only a small portion. When I'm satisfied with the result, I just scale things up.
Heads are a bitch to add in adequate amounts, sometimes a few mL makes the difference between success and failure...this is especially true with such a small setup.
My still for Brandy, Gin etc is here: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=64618
As I run a bubble plate beneath, it gives me one more distillation.
Store bought wine contains a lot of Sulphides, which the copper helps to remove.
My advice would be...if you want to distil wine from the store, add some copper in that still of yours..the product will improve vastly. (some strips hanging in the vapor path will do).
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

superblah wrote: ...................Watching this thing is like watching a lava lamp, it's awesome to watch it all happening. You can actually see droplets forming at the beginning of the condenser, and see the alcohol streaming down the sides of the boiler.............
I'd love to see a video of that happening 8)
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Cool use of designed and built for purpose equipment! :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
superblah
Novice

Post by superblah »

Pikey wrote:
superblah wrote: ...................Watching this thing is like watching a lava lamp, it's awesome to watch it all happening. You can actually see droplets forming at the beginning of the condenser, and see the alcohol streaming down the sides of the boiler.............
I'd love to see a video of that happening 8)
Is there a way to put a video of this up without having to post to a different site and link to it? I do have video, but I'd kinda like to keep my distilling low key on the internet...
superblah
Novice

Post by superblah »

kimbodious wrote:Cool use of designed and built for purpose equipment! :thumbup:
Maybe not for this EXACT purpose but definitely what it's sort of meant for...
superblah
Novice

Post by superblah »

Still Life wrote:A glass still has to add an intriguing visual element to a process left otherwise to imagination.
JUST BE CAREFUL. Your glass gives me the willies when I think of a hot break.
Glad your hooch came out good. That what it's all about.
My biggest safety observation is that I definitely need to use 'boil enhancers' religiously. I got some ceramic ones from the local home-brew shop and they work very well to keep the bubbles steady and under control. I tried to run without them and it sort of sputtered from time to time. I thought the hot plate would be safest as there's not open flame to ignite fumes, the downside is that as on an electric stove, "OFF" isn't "OFF" immediately as there is still so much heat in the burner. I might look into a gas system with the boiler in a double boiler, but I don't like how close the distillate would be dripping to an open flame.

I've been heating up the still VERY slowly to make sure it doesn't boil over. And of course I don't walk away from it while it's running. I have been able to get a very steady rolling boil with this thing, even if it's a little scary. The glass is borosilicate type like pyrex, and quite strong, for glass anyhow. Also any congestion that could occur in the system would be plainly visible.

I'll try to get a video up of the condenser working.
superblah
Novice

Post by superblah »

http://imgur.com/WlffTaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Here's the condenser in action. Image is a little small but I think you'll see the lava lamp appeal
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: My first run with 5L glass still (NOW WITH VIDEO)

Post by Kareltje »

Nice still it must be! I can not really make out what I see in your video.

I have seen a 2 l glass still coming by on Marktplaats, but it was sold before I could really do some bidding.

For boiling stones you can maybe use some copper coins, which at the same time adds some copper to your still.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

If you choose to use copper coins in any capacity make certain they are actually copper.

in the U.S. they are not even close to pure.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... lit=pennys
be water my friend
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Cob
We have 50 Øre coins that look like copper...it's an alloy, however (wanted to make a valve plate..).

I'd be reluctant to use any boil chips at all...it's a glass still.
Try taking a coin in a bottle or jar and swirl it around.
Once it has ground a fine line in there, it goes fast and the bottom falls out clean.
What would eventually happen to that glass boiler..? :think:
The boiling action makes the chips vibrate in there, sooner or later they would have ground small scratches in the glass.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thanks for sharing superblah :thumbup:
Can see the passive reflux......very cool
superblah
Novice

Post by superblah »

Danespirit wrote:+1 Cob
We have 50 Øre coins that look like copper...it's an alloy, however (wanted to make a valve plate..).

I'd be reluctant to use any boil chips at all...it's a glass still.
Try taking a coin in a bottle or jar and swirl it around.
Once it has ground a fine line in there, it goes fast and the bottom falls out clean.
What would eventually happen to that glass boiler..? :think:
The boiling action makes the chips vibrate in there, sooner or later they would have ground small scratches in the glass.
Interesting. That's possible, I'm not really sure how borosilicate might be different from a glass jar though.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

In this particular matter, Borosilicate behaves just like normal glass (i f&%¤ some up, so I know).
Borosilicate has some stuff added to it and is heat treated in a special way, so it can withstand heat without cracking.
As far as I know, it's the only difference.
Ahh..wish Mash Rookie was still around...he'd know a lot more about glass than me...he was a pro glass blower.
superblah
Novice

Post by superblah »

Danespirit wrote:In this particular matter, Borosilicate behaves just like normal glass (i f&%¤ some up, so I know).
Borosilicate has some stuff added to it and is heat treated in a special way, so it can withstand heat without cracking.
As far as I know, it's the only difference.
Ahh..wish Mash Rookie was still around...he'd know a lot more about glass than me...he was a pro glass blower.
I wonder if there's something softer than glass that could be used. Or something small or light enough to not clank on the bottom of the flask...
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Regarding boro glass , it is just as fragile as normal glass . Tempered glass is the tough stuff they use for shelves and things that need strenght but tempered glass doesn't have the thermal shock advantage of Borosilicate glass . Pyrex is a brand name of boroglass .

It my work we have special tiny glass boiling beads . We used to just use bits or broken ceramic . The beads are nicer to deal with .

Re: the hot plate , I think you will have an even greater lag time if you use a double boiler
Last edited by Yummyrum on Fri May 26, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

superblah wrote: I wonder if there's something softer than glass that could be used. Or something small or light enough to not clank on the bottom of the flask...
Instead of metal..?
Well, PTFE stirring bars, are rounded and light. PTFE or Polytetrafluoroethylene is resistant to most chemicals there is.
They are also safe to use as boil chips as they do melt at 327 C....you won't get a 1/3 of that in the boiler.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

@cob and Danespirit:

Indeed, one should be sure the coins are indeed copper or bronze. Or you should check them after every run to make sure they are still plated enough. Of course.

The circling of the coins might be a problem, I hear the rattling of coins inside my kettle with round bottom and sometimes it stops for a while and it seems the coins will stick at the side of the kettle.
I did not think of the problem of circling of coins on a glass vessel. Small balls might prevent that. But one great advantage is: you can see what is happening inside.

I love to be able to do that!!!