Bombay Sapphire Gin Clone

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

esxman
Novice

Re: Bombay Sapphire Gin Clone

Post by esxman »

To NZChris , you like the lemon citrus taste in your gin , my no.1 choice is the bergmot, Cirtus Bergamia , its like an ugly lemon , grows fruit quickly , and the essential oils are used for perfumes , Earl Gray tea, Turkish Delight , and some of the upmarket Gins have this in their recipe .I also find the leaves of the citrus trees have as much , if not more essential oil than the peel .My friend here has a kaffir lime tree , the leaves are used in thai cooking , so will try that too . Happy Ginning esxman Greece
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Thanks for the tip, esxman. It might not be easy to find here, but I'll ask around.

A friend of mine has a kaffir lime tree, but I've never used it. I might try it in my next version of Old Tom Gin.

I hadn't thought of using citrus leaves. I should do a small run of essence to check that idea out.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

NZChris wrote:I've just reviewed my East recipe and it wasn't orange I was waiting for, it was lemon. My lemons have started coming ripe in the last week so I can do a run any time I like.

Something I have never done is use dried lemon peel and I don't know if there is any difference between dried and fresh. I didn't see fresh peel in the Carter Head in the video.
My experience is that dried peel lacks a lot of essential oils, compared to the fresh peel.
For my liking, it takes a larger amount of dried peel, then it is the case for fresh.
Maybe it's related to the way the alcohol penetrates the peel...it would take longer for dried peel..?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Is this peel you have dried yourself, Danespirit?

I've used both, but never done side by side comparisons. Dried is very handy to have in the apothacary, especially for fruit with a short season. I've just dried navel orange, mandarine and lemon, all from home gardens.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Yes, it is Chris.
I use the sap from the fruit too.
The peel is sliced off using a razor sharp knife, in order to leave as much of the white stuff behind.
Up here in the north, we only have access to imported citrus fruits.
I always go for the ecological ones, as they are free from pesticides and surface treatment compounds.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've just dried some mandarin and young fennel too. I don't know that I'll be using the fennel in gin.

Did a side by side with Sapphire East yesterday. Mine is much more intense and needs to be blended with NGS.