First Build.... First Washes...Patently Waiting...

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

MrKaos63
Novice

First Build.... First Washes...Patently Waiting...

Post by MrKaos63 »

Here I go...
Thank You to Still Life, NZchris, and bilgriss for the warm welcomes and cleaning advice.
I have now for 3 days watching my batches od Birdwatchers and Pugirum bubble. Opened ferment-er for a peak this morning for they
are still perking. Should they be sired? Conflicting opinions on the forum?
Pitch more yeast?
here are some pics of my new pot still and washes.

Thanx for looking
MrKaos
Attachments
Birdwatchers after3 days.
Birdwatchers after3 days.
Pugirum wash after 3 days
Pugirum wash after 3 days
Fermenter's another 50 Bucks with airlocks, including gauges for SG and ABV
Fermenter's another 50 Bucks with airlocks, including gauges for SG and ABV
Column Detail
Column Detail
New Pot still,<br />Several years of collecting parts, Only had to purchase 50 bucks in parts.<br />Keg, fryer, burner, column and other strait copper found and begged on job sites.
New Pot still,
Several years of collecting parts, Only had to purchase 50 bucks in parts.
Keg, fryer, burner, column and other strait copper found and begged on job sites.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: First Build.... First Washes...Patently Waiting...

Post by still_stirrin »

The rum looks done. Let it set a couple more days and then run it. Your birdwatchers looks like it is still going (not cleared yet). Give it some more time too and it will clear.

But NEVER stir a ferment once it has reached active fermentation. Stirring introduces oxygen and fermentation is anaerobic (without oxygen). So, stirring will produce off flavors in the wash. If you are compelled to raise the yeast back into suspension (because the measured gravity is not low enough), you can gently swirl the fermenter on its vertical axis...a half spin back and forth a couple of times. This will bring the yeast up from the bottom.

But if you're trying to get the gravity below 1.000 to call it "done", just know that molasses has much nonfermentable matter which will give you a high reading even if the fermentable sugars are all consumed. You can't rely on the hydrometer to tell you when a rum is done fermenting. Birdwatchers, yes...but not a rum.

And another consideration, fermentation produces acids and that will drive the pH low, to the point that the yeast will stop. And birdwatchers, and other sugar washes, can and will experience this premature halt to activity. It is best managed with something to buffer the production of acids, calcium carbonate, for example. If you read the forum you'll encounter many, many discussions regarding crashing pH and how to overcome the problem.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Signing on again to add: Are those buckets ALL of the ferment? A couple of gallons in a keg boiler will give you a little product, but not much.

When I brew, I ferment 10 gallons at a time, strip it and start 10 more gallons. I do this for 3 cycles and combine the low wines for a single spirit run. So, 30 gallons of ferment produces roughly 9 gallons of low wines for the spirit run. From that I typically collect 2-1/2 gallons of useable spirit, after heads and tails.

Now that you know the brewing processes, time to scale it up to compliment your still.

Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
MrKaos63
Novice

Post by MrKaos63 »

Thank you SS.... the birdwatchers is for the sacrificial run should I still wait for it to Clear? Sg is 1.003? 3 tics below 1.000.
Rum is going to be the next run. Have 2 more gallons of molasses and brown sugar for the next 10 gallons of wash and was going to reuse the dunder from first rum run.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

MrKaos63 wrote:...the birdwatchers is for the sacrificial run should I still wait for it to Clear?...
Yes, wait for it to finish (and clear). It'll be done soon. Otherwise the particulate matter may scorch in your boiler...which can be difficult to clean out, and may introduce bad flavors into susequent runs.
ss
MrKaos63
Novice

Post by MrKaos63 »

Notes From Vinegar Run

Lit Burner 7:15 pm
Hit.. 212F 8:34 pm Turned heat down 50%
199F 8:40 pm Tuned up 1/8 Turn
211.7F 8:42pm
213.5 to 213.5 from 8:47pm to 9:15pm
Turned heat to full tilt let steam like a Locomotive for 10 more minutes.
Watched Temps to get an understanding of heat control figuring it was important for some understanding for sacrificial run.

ONLY leak was at the union joint at liebig condenser attachment.
Will flour paste like column attachment at keg.

Birdwatchers clear enough? For Sacrificial run today?
Attachments
Birdwatchers at .9999 SVG
Birdwatchers at .9999 SVG
Set up from vinegar run.
Set up from vinegar run.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Don't get hung up with vapor temperatures on a potstill. With the water/vinegar wash, the temperature will be representative of the boil rate. When you get to an alcohol wash, the temperatures will be lower, especially at the start. But you adjust the heat input to get the product flow you want. Temperatures will change throughout the run without any gas valve adjustments.

I don't think your birdwatchers is cleared yet judging from your photo. With a gravity reading of 0.9999, it very well is done fermenting, but the yeast has not yet flocculated (and settled). The wash still looks cloudy (to me).
ss
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I run "cloudy" all the time :)
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

@still_stirring: I admire your very sound and precise explanations!

@MrKaos63: why not do a run with clean water? You are clearly not patiently waiting, which I can fully understand. Patience is the second most difficult part of distilling. The first most difficult part is making cuts. But while waiting till the sugarwash is finished, you can do a cleaning run. If only to get used to the behaviour of your still.

@Pikey: Yes, I do so too. But that is just because I am impatient. And, if you are unlucky, it can cost some effort to get rid of a unwanted scent.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I run cloudy as well, I've mentioned before that I keep my riser off and stir the mash/wash/must until the first hint of steam and then connect the riser. This help keep any unwanted mess settling to the bottom until it's moving on its own. It helps!!!

I'm sure running with gas/propane is not as important heat up wise as an internal element when it comes to clearing.
Let them settle for some time longer though to eliminate the possibility for a burnt bottom, it is a pita to clean.

Go ahead and run some water through to further clean then once you have that done a time or 2 your bw should be able to go, plus that will give you more time learning, listening and knowing how the sounds and feel of your still will be.
Good luckand be safe
Shine0n
MrKaos63
Novice

Post by MrKaos63 »

Running the sacrificial run this morning. I now see temp in about point less. first pint smelled foul of sour and like lacquer thinner.
smelled second pint more like cheap vodka.
Will run Pugirum tonight with truer fractions.
MrKaos63
Novice

Post by MrKaos63 »

I have seen statements that you run a pot still fast and hard. What is the idea here. Turn on high and get what you get?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

MrKaos63 wrote:I have seen statements that you run a pot still fast and hard. What is the idea here. Turn on high and get what you get?
HDGoogle search is your friend...use it.

Here's something to start with:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=37293
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=45699
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=27109

Have fun.
ss
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Read what SS has graciously shared with you, I just read two of those threads in the entirety and skimmed the Third.
I myself run a thumper and do single runs BUT for what I like that's the ticket, I get full flavors, I'm happy with what I do.

I see you have no thumper, you definitely need to read those threads so you have a firm grip on things.

Not saying you need to stop and read till you're sick of it BUT none the less you need to read some more, keep on learning your rig and keep on trying!!!

On a side note, the recipes you have are great ones!!!
Run it, if you don't like the taste... run again but differently!
Shine0n
MrKaos63
Novice

Post by MrKaos63 »

SS thank you for those thread share. They are bookmarked. Read them thoroughly. Answered 99% of self doubt in my mind.
Have run my PUGIRUM. Could not be happier with my first time. Ended up with nice drinkable rum. Ended up with some nice over proof. Had a couple of cocktails to celebrate. Saved the dunder for the next batch. Going read more on blending rum with oils from the end of the run. Thank you all.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

MrKaos63 wrote:Have run my PUGIRUM. Could not be happier with my first time. Ended up with nice drinkable rum.
Most Rums are pretty rough straight off the still, put some aside with toasted American or French oak in it.
You'll be surprised how much it changes and how much better it is in six months.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've had some good luck with going DEEP into the tails, I keep collecting in pints just adding them to the feints container. Once I get past all the cloudiness the smell start to go away and from that point I start keeping them to dilute my spirit with instead of using distilled water.

There is till some flavor and just a hint of alcohol, the less water you have to use the better flavors you'll have in your likker.
Use the advanced search button at the top right of the page and start looking, I'm sure there are a few threads about such a thing. I would tell you where I read it but honestly I have no idea, sorry.
But I read it somewhere and it made sense so now that's what I do.
Shine0n