First mash tun - 60gal

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

JLP IV
Bootlegger

First mash tun - 60gal

Post by JLP IV »

60 gal SS with a sturdy stand.
55gal ferment barrel beside for size reference.
Working on my pot still currently :thumbup:
Attachments
rsz_img_20170626_135304.jpg
Last edited by JLP IV on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First mash tun

Post by Pikey »

JLP IV wrote:60 gal SS with a sturdy stand.
55gal ferment barrel beside for size reference.
Working on my pot still currently :thumbup:
Even allowing for our gallons being one of your "quarts" bigger than yours - that beast is going to take some heating ! - What are you using to warm it up ? :)
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

A very large propane burner. Haven't decided on which model yet though. With a heat shield.

I have no idea what you were trying to say in your first sentence. Sorry
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

JLP IV wrote: .........I have no idea what you were trying to say in your first sentence. Sorry
Just that 60 US Gallons = 48 Imperial Gallons - That is still one big boiler ! 8)
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Ah, now your sentence makes sense.
Yeah she's a biggin. Mash tun, not a boiler. This will fill my boiler twice.

I've ALOT of children so personal time is very important/scarce to me. Instead of smaller runs more often, I'm going with bigger runs every now n then when I have the time.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Re: First mash tun - 60gal

Post by JLP IV »

Adventures in home brewing @ Homebrewing dot org has a 220000 btu 18in burner. Biggest I could find. That's what I'm ordering to heat this baby up.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

it's gonna take all 220000 too or a massive amount of time. Most definitely worth the time and effort I'd say!

Have you given any consideration to insulating the pot?
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

JLP IV wrote: 55gal ferment barrel beside for size reference.
I always thought you were supposed to use a banana for scale.... :mrgreen:

It sure is pretty JLP but I agree you're gonna have a heck of a time with heating... ShineOn beat me to the insulating the pot question...

Good luck with her and let us know how your heating plan goes...
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

My plan is to wrap the top 2/3 in kaowool (ceramic fiber insulation) :thumbup: And perhaps reflectix on top of that.
After the first heat up I'll adjust the insulation up or down accordingly​. Hopefully down !
As well as a heat shield I mentioned earlier.

Unless of course you gentlemen might have a better solution. That's where my research has led me so far though.

Excited !!!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Just sayin look into steam injection
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Certainly something I've researched as well. Especially Brutal's set up. That may very well be an option if I'm not happy with the burner. Or even if I am, and just need to build something new and expand my knowledge and collection of toys.

Thank you