First Batch

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

picpete
Novice

First Batch

Post by picpete »

Hi,
This is my first time distilling.
I have been reading this forum and others before doing my first run the other night.
Did a 20 L beer wash fermented for 14 days.
Still used is a 30 L SOLDERED MOONSHINE STILL STARTER KIT.

The Mash was 2 x Beer Kits from Super Store plus two Campaign Yeast Lalvin EC 1118 and 5 kg of sugar. Tastes Carmel and Marshmallow quite pleasant. It isn't smooth but doesn't rip the guts out of you.
Why this recipe not really sure seemed easy. This is my first run ever. I got a bit concerned that nothing was happening and increased the heat which I think I ran the Foreshots into the Heads.

What do I do with this?
1- I opened the lids and aired for 24 hrs and it does smell cleaner a bit still pretty raw when I drink. Does it need to be cured with wood chip and or in Kegs to give more taste and mellow out.
2- Do I just mix the 5 middle jars mix together and water down to 40% and drink.
3- Do a 2nd run - if I do this do I add 20 litres of water and redistill.
I sound uncertain and I am.
Cheers, Peter.
Attachments
First Run .jpg
pounsfos
Distiller

Re: First Batch

Post by pounsfos »

everyone makes mistakes, in this forum, you can read so much before you have nothing left but to do.

This is your first run, don't sweat it to much eh

Take a small bottle 8-18ishounces (200-500ml) and put some in there and tuck it away. (in 1 year take it tout and appreciate how far you have come)

as for the rest either re-run it, Macerate something in it (i Highly recommend the strawberry panty dropper or just a couple of vanilla beans)
or save it for later and re run it with some other stuff you have

Don't worry your doing fine, the first one is always the scariest/makes you the most nervous.
Just trust yourself, and slowly you will learn how your still works, what recipe is good and all that.
don't expect to be a pro in a week, heck i'm 6 years in and could barely call myself a level 2 aprentice (I still make some good stuff that people can attest is better that low cost commercial stuff)

and remember, don't be greedy, I keep about 40-60% of my total collections, which for me is 4 bottles at the start, and 3-4 bottles at the end, but you get that with practise and knowing your still

keep up the good work
picpete
Novice

Post by picpete »

Thanks for the encouragement.
I will save a bit just because and will do a rerun
Cheers
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Great advice there, pounsfos.

Peter,

Looking at your collection jars, I'd take the first two jars and the last three as feints for rerunning. Then, I'd take the middle three (which would average 120 proof) and either use "white" in a flavored spirit, like a pantydropper or apple pie, or (my preference) would put it "on wood"...put some toasted & charred oak chunks into the jar and age. It will make you a fine "first effort" whiskey that you'll prize.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

still hits it on the head. save the middles. i still remember my first run. made apple pie with them. was a huge hit with friends and family. best part was i saved a pint and a year later pulled it out. you'll be amazed how far you'll come
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
picpete
Novice

Post by picpete »

On all your recommendations I'm going save a small amount to try in a year.
The Middles I'm going to age with toasted and charred oak as as " still_stirrin " suggests.
Thanks again all,
Your help is confidence inspiring.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Picpete,

I also come along way from what you are describing now, do not worry at all, one day will come and when you look back and the product in front of you, you will realize how much you accomplished, so it will really make a difference, so please do not be hard on yourself, give yourself time, read the forum, especially use the "Google Search" I will describe how I do it, after using many washes I settled with All-Bran wash, believe me it will make a huge difference if you are after a neutral product, anyway firt I run it in my potstill for the stripping run also add some copper scrubbers to catch a little bit of sulpur that is in the wash I do not make any cuts here so after that My wash from 25lt becomes 5 lt it is a ways to take the wash volume down and you are left with a clear product around 40-50 ABV% generally it does not have a pleasant smell :)
leave it for a day and next day I start my spirit run, 5 litres of %50 ABV + 3.3 lts of water which will take me down to %30 ABV why because there is a danger with charging the boiler with more than 40% ABV so keep that in mind also, Also make sure that your total volume in the boiler should not exceed 7/8 you have to leave some room, anyway my still is a CCVM so I take it to full reflux nowadays for 30 minutes then I slowly raise the rc, and start collecting, but also need to mention the importance to take OG and FG readings with these you will know how much Alcohol in there and make your calculation accordingly lets say out of 8.3 lt you know that you have 2.5 lt to collect
then it becomes easier, I can give you a rough estimation 3% foreshots + 17% Heads + 60% Hearts + 20% Tails, but do not rely on that this is a rough estimation, always collect at small jars the smaller the better, than aerate for a day and taste the next day, then decide which ones to keep, this is how I do it but please read the forum there is very good information almost about anything and any situation faced, I am sure you will do very good in time, I have also come a long way got much help, thanks to this forum and people which I would not be at this level today. Always hope for the best.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

pounsfos wrote:everyone makes mistakes, in this forum, you can read so much before you have nothing left but to do.
This is your first run, don't sweat it to much eh
Nicely put pounsfos :thumbup:

Id look at that as a sort of a practice run keep the 2 middle jars and toss the 3 at each end into the feints container. Your pretty sure to have hearts only then. No need to be greedy.
Cut the keeper jars back to 60-65 and oak them ...or keep them white and dilute to 40-45%abv and drink them.
If you can, use smaller jars next time, that will make it easier for you to learn the different smells and tastes that you are looking for when you make cuts.
Remember to air your cuts before making any judgements on whats good or bad. Some will say 24 hours , many that I know will air for longer.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Your story makes me remember my first run! :oops:
Or every first, for that matter. :twisted:

Point is: your attitude is promising: careful and curious trying. Wanting to know and open for comment. You'll get there!

Edit:
Oh, by the way: I did not still a beer, but read some about the nasty taste of hops.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Kareltje wrote:
....Point is: your attitude is promising: careful and curious trying. Wanting to know and open for comment. You'll get there!

Edit:
Oh, by the way: I did not still a beer, but read some about the nasty taste of hops.
+1 on Kareltje - You can get LME Without hops ! - I use Coopers but I'm sure there are others.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I was just wondering, you say this is your first distillation ,have you done your cleaning runs and sacrificial run prior to this run . If not don't drink the liquor as it will have trace elements from the fabrication in it.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

How To Clean A Still

1) Clean all parts, and soak in vinegar water solution.

First: Water. Fill your still 3/4 full and attach colum,cap,riser, and your condenser,worm,Liebig,shotgun,or other. Do not supply cooling water yet. Bring water to a boil until you get steam blowing out of your condenser,let steam blow for 15-20 minutes at full heat, then turn on condenser cooling water or fill flake stand. Let run about an hour.

Second: Vinegar and water mixed half and half,fill boiler half way and follow directions for first step.

Third: Sacrificial alcohol. Sacrificial means it gets dumped out when your done. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! I recommend that you use a tomato paste sugar wash for this step as it is cheaper than box wine or cheap vodka. Add wash to boiler TURN CONDENSER WATER ON!!! Turn heat on, wait untill it starts to flow,don't get So excited that you taste this alcohol,collect all distillate down to about twenty proof, then DUMP THE ALCOHOL OUT!!! DON'T KEEP THE BACKSET EITHER!!! Dump or drain boiler,rinse boiler,inside cap,column,or riser and inside condenser with water only and allow to drain dry.Repeat as necessary. Remember,it ain't clean untill it is clean.
picpete
Novice

Post by picpete »

I thought I cleaned the Still according to the manufactures instructions.
Scrubed clean.
Then ran water with Rye flour for 60 minutes and had a thin Rye gruel worked its way through the system for 40 to 45 minutes.
I then ran the above batch after cleaning the Still thoroughly.
I hope this suffices.
Also thanks to all for the information. Just sitting back and digesting the volumes of information before I act.
cheers,
Peter
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Picpete,

It just takes some time and experience to really understand things related with distillary, I am sure you will do great just read as much as you can it will really benefit your understanding. Safety is probably the most important thing in this hobby, like properly cleaning the still with a 3 step procedure, also not using any kind of plastics, your gaskets also need to be either flour gasket or PTFE gasket, anything other than these 2 are not acceptable, also properly cleaning your packing is important, after every run I clean my still with water, just rinse them and dry them so please read more about these subjects as well.

Take Care
picpete
Novice

Post by picpete »

Hi Artooks,
I appreciate the heads up.
Cheers