Cleaning run on new still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fraser
Novice

Cleaning run on new still

Post by Fraser »

I ran my first cleaning run through my new still last weekend. 200L boiler with 6 inch modular bubble plates. Put about 150 L of TPW through it, and it went mostly ran great. Need to get a good feel for the sweet spots, but overall very happy with it.
Attachments
setup1.2.jpg
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Cleaning run on new still

Post by dieselduo »

nice rig ! where did you get that ?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Here, let me correct your typo:
Fraser wrote:I ran my first cleaning run through my new still last weekend. 200L 113.5L boiler with 6 inch modular bubble plates. Put about 150 L of TPW through it, and it went mostly ran great. Need to get a good feel for the sweet spots, but overall very happy with it.
From our "rules for the website":
Boilers - In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger then this to our site.
Good looking rig...just a little "oversized".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Fraser, if you can display your DSP number in your tag line folks will know that you are licensed and legit.
Nice rig, how much power does it take to run it?
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

I believe his welcome post says he is a legal distiller. But is not clear in this thread, had to go back and check.
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

Sorry for any confusion. I'm legal. I'm licensed by the TTB and the PALCB. There's a section on the board for craft distillers, so I assumed professionals were welcome here too.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Fraser, if you can display your DSP number in your tag line folks will know that you are licensed and legit.

I think I edited my signature to include my DSP number. Let me see if it worked.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Fraser, if you can display your DSP number in your tag line folks will know that you are licensed and legit.
I've got this on a dedicated 110v line straight to the breaker. I'm running (2) 5,500 watt elements in there, and from my first run I can say it heats it up very fast. I got it up to temperature in under 30 minutes.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

Fraser wrote:
I've got this on a dedicated 110v line straight to the breaker. I'm running (2) 5,500 watt elements in there, and from my first run I can say it heats it up very fast. I got it up to temperature in under 30 minutes.
Are the elements 5500w at 240v or at 120v? I'm assuming 240v
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Fraser wrote:Sorry for any confusion. I'm legal. I'm licensed by the TTB and the PALCB. There's a section on the board for craft distillers, so I assumed professionals were welcome here too.
Welcome, indeed, I envy your situation, to be able to produce your spirits without the pressures of the law as well as being able to sell to a small but existing clientele.

I think many of us here would enjoy following your adventure!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
Fraser wrote:Sorry for any confusion. I'm legal. I'm licensed by the TTB and the PALCB. There's a section on the board for craft distillers, so I assumed professionals were welcome here too.
Welcome, indeed, I envy your situation, to be able to produce your spirits without the pressures of the law as well as being able to sell to a small but existing clientele.

I think many of us here would enjoy following your adventure!
I'm on a spot of land thats zoned agricultural, and my local township was very easy on me compared to what most have to go through to get setup. So my situation is definitely not typical. I've done everything on the cheap as best as I could. I wouldn't have been able to get the information to start this without the help of hobbyist distillers that were willing to share their experience and advice along the way. So I'm very grateful for the community at large and would be happy to share anything I've learned along the way.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Perfect. Thank you Fraser for adding that info.

It sounds like you have a great setup...including the source for fermentable material.

So, now we're watching you with much interest.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K