First Rum...

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

rollmeown
Bootlegger

First Rum...

Post by rollmeown »

Hello,

This is my first Rum experience and so far i have been pleased until today. I followed pugi rum recipe fairly close to origanl as i could.
First and Second ran no problems, but third batch has taken 4 days and is stuck at 1.060. I thought that low temps was causing it to take longer
than the first two batches, outdoor temps been low 60's at night low 80's during day. First two batches fermented out at 85 degrees in 48 hours.
so i add heaters the last 24 hours now they 86 degrees and started to bubble again but this morning no activity still at 1.060. So i have pool ph strip
but color chart dont go past 6.4 but cross referenced to lower ph color cart and best i can come up with is 2 may be 3 on ph scale. so leads me to a low
ph level in my wash. Researched this and i should add calcuim carbonate to my washes and bring it back up. Does this sound like i on the correct path?
Do i have anything like that in my pantry before heading into town to buy any? This my third and final batch before the spirit run and would like to save this
batch.

Thanks
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: First Rum...

Post by HDNB »

the only thing i have not tried is re-boiling a mash and starting again from above pasteurization temperatures.

everything else i tried did not work...yest bombs, temperature adjustments ph adjustments...nothing. 1/3, 2/3, 3/3...same result, into the compost pile.

mine are on AG's and my theory is all my stalls have been bacterial. wish i was smart enough to prove it. wish i was smart enough to fix it.

good luck with yours. PH up will likely get it to go a bit more...
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Calcium carbonate is indeed what you can use.
Can you get oyster shells? They sell 'em for poultry feed supplement.

Heard some people use (boiled clean) egg shells, too.
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Is baking soda the same? i been reading people using baking soda as well is this correct?
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

I've read that, too.
Here for example.

But like it says in the body of the post, yeast doesn't like sodium and could be counterproductive.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

rollmeown wrote:Is baking soda the same? i been reading people using baking soda as well is this correct?
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. It's a much weaker base than calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is limestone, that white powder that settles in your water glass. If you use baking soda, you'll have to use a lot of it and that will increase the sodium content of your ferment possibly adversely affecting the yeast. So, I don't recommend using baking soda.

The best base to use is a hydroxide, like calcium hydroxide, called "pickling lime" and usually available in the canning aisle at your local grocery. It is a (relatively) strong base and will work quickly in an acidic solution. An added benefit is that calcium is a good yeast nutrient as well.

As previously noted, calcium carbonate will work good as a pH buffer, reducing the "nose dive" in pH often caused by high sugar washes.

But, when checking the SG of a rum ferment, keep in mind that molasses has a lot of solids in it, like ash and minerals that will cause the density to stay high. It doesn't necessarily mean there is still fermentable sugars available in the wash. It depends on how you prepared the molasses and the brix (sugar content) of the raw molasses. So, as they say, "YMMV".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Okay thanks will try some pickling lime. I guess maybe I will take a sample and let it settle before trying to read a fg. Still taste a little sweet so know it not quite there yet.
Thanks again.
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

I haven't made a successful rum, so I don't have first hand experience to share. But as I understand it, it's hard to get a SG reading on a rum wash due to all the dissolved solids (that aren't necessarily all fermentable sugars). It can really throw off your readings. If you're confident that you've adding in enough fementable sugar and you've had other washes turn out fine, then troubleshooting the pH is a good place to start.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

What was the OG?

Did you use backset? If you have been using a lot, it could be that much of the 1060 is from non-fermentables and the ferment is finished.
How much, as a percentage of the total wash?
What was the SG of the backset?

What was the starting pH?
What was the pH of the backset?

Calcium carbonate, (I add whole shells when I put the wash down), acts as a buffer if not misused, but slaked lime is much better for raising pH in a stalled wash.
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

So my OG was 1.090
the first batch i didnt have any dunder and the next two i
have used 2 gallons of dunder each batch.
10 gallons is the size of my batch so 20%
Dont know starting ph or backset ph have never had to
test ph in last 4 years this is my first stuck ferment.

Gonna go pick up some pickling lime from walmart if i can
find some. How much would you recommend using for a ten gallon batch?

Thanks
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

To know your gravity take sg-fg×130 and you'll know what you have.
even if it's 1.120 and ends at 1.060 all you have to do is the simple math and boom you've got you abv%

I didn't see in the thread whether or not you've used the same yeast bed to start the ferment, if so then you may have some sluggish yeasts, as for the pH I found it near impossible to get a proper reading from strips and needed a ph meter but pickling lime will raise the ph and shells as mentioned will slow the drop (buffer)
For a start I'd go 1/8th cup in a warm water solution and mix as well as possible then add to the ferment.
check again the next day for a change.

Shine0n
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

i second oyster shells.
there used for chicken supplement.
all farm feed stores got them.
these guys know there stuff.
get the shells and i guarentee your back to the races :thumbup:
i used to think they were not that important buttttt
after stalling on an all grain with poor results
socd suggested them to me and problems were solved
a cheap investement for all the hard work :wink:
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed