Scorching and Element

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Scorching and Element

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

As I mentioned in my other posts, I have ordered a 240V 4500 Watt Camco 02929 Incoloy LWD element it is 10" and will fit my 3 Gallon and 8 Gallon boiler, these boilers are purchased from mile hi and each have a 2"tricolver opening, I know that the element watt is too much, but I could not find a lower wattage one in 240V which also fits to my boilers, but this will also be the first time that I will be switching over to internal heaters in order to have a higher efficiency I have been reading the forum for many hours, I will mostly be doing sugar washes maybe some sour mash in the future, what I want to be careful is to avoid scorching at all times, I will be having an SSR element controller, so taking into account the 4500 Watt and 3 and 8 Gallon boiler size what can I do to avoid scorching, somewhere I read that they also use a jacket over the heater but I have no experience and cannot decide it for myself, what do you guys do to avoid scorching with internal heaters, from what I read even if the element is 4500W or 5500W it has to start slow and increase gradually, but what I am afraid is my element size is a bit higher but I have a controller so would that be ok, what can I do to further reduce scorching.

Thanks
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Scorching and Element

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:...what can I do to further reduce scorching?
Well, for starters....settle down! You're such a "worry wart". No need for that.

Fact is, for a sugar wash, chances are that simply racking the wash from the fermenter will leave you with a clean enough charge that you won't scorch. And because you have a LWD element and you'll run it at "reduced power", the local surface temperature (element contact temperatures) will not cause any (potential) solids from scorching. So, breath easily...

For all grain washes, you'll have to use clearing techniques that you've read about already. Strain the solids, rack to a secondary fermenter, and even cold chill the wash. These are processes you already know....use them. The internal element is a good tool for the boiler and you'll soon learn the techniques best suited for your service.

So, don't panic....you'll be fine.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't bother to rack or clear. The biggest worries for scorching would be unconverted starch and solids trapped in contact with an element. Other than those, you pretty much have to run dry to get a scorch.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

artooks wrote:.....3 Gallon and 8 Gallon boiler.... I will mostly be doing sugar washes maybe some sour mash in the future....what can I do to further reduce scorching.
A sugar wash isn't prone to scorching
On a thick mash, make a steam rig.
Use the 3 gallon for the boiler and the 8 for the thumper :thumbup:
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

shadylane wrote:
artooks wrote:.....3 Gallon and 8 Gallon boiler.... I will mostly be doing sugar washes maybe some sour mash in the future....what can I do to further reduce scorching.
A sugar wash isn't prone to scorching
On a thick mash, make a steam rig.
Use the 3 gallon for the boiler and the 8 for the thumper :thumbup:
+1
Clear beer in the boiler, "slops" in the thumper. Easy peasy. While I can't post pictures of my system here (rule #10), you might want to search on the Artisan Distiller forum. I have posted my MFT (mash tun, fermenter, thumper) pictures there.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thanks Everyone, I will experience and share my findings, so for example when doing a gin and using the Juniper in the boiler using hop bags will be enough to avoid scorching ? As far as I see that using an element controller will reduce the chances to scorch, thanks again about the Thumper for using it in mashes first I need to find out how a thumper works and than how modularly convert my boilers to use it as a thumper.

Thanks
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:...need to find out how a thumper works and than how modularly convert my boilers to use it as a thumper.
Shadylane is suggesting using your little boiler as a steam generator to power your big boiler set up in a thumper configuration and charged with the mash. Using steam to heat the (thumper) boiler will eliminate the possibility of scorching in it.

The configuration pipes the output from the small boiler to the inlet of the large boiler through a concentric opening which also includes the output from that vessel. Review thumper designs for a better understanding.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K