Question about UJSSM

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Question about UJSSM

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I have 5 generations run now.
I have been told by the gentleman that gave me the column that I am making a very good drop. :D
on gen4 I was not thinking when I finished the run and dumped the boiler before saving back set. :thumbdown:
so generation 5 was more like generation 1.......not bad, but less corn flavor and more sugar flavor
I have been using about 25% backset when I restart......
any way when I finished running gen5 I saved backset....
For Gen6 I decided to put more backset into the fermenter so I went to 50/50 water & backset.
Gen6 has finished fermenting. I opened the fermenter and there is a very sour smell. When I first smelled it I thought almost vinegar smell, ALMOST but not.
Would the increased backset cause a more potent smell than I am used to?
Also how dramatically will the increased backset change the flavor?

thanks
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Question about UJSSM

Post by bilgriss »

There's a lot of concentrated flavor in the backset for sure. The increase in acidity has a large effect on the fermentation, particularly if you don't buffer it. It also enhances some ester production, which will bring out flavors in the final product that you wouldn't get otherwise. Added complexity and generally good in most ways. There is a limit to how much is practical, and at 50% I'd worry about fermentation not completing without some management of pH.

Best way to judge the effect on flavor is..... run it! But first, take a few measurements if you can, see what your final gravity is and pH if you can to see how changes in protocol impact fermentation.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

If you want to carry over more flavour try stripping your wash our way past normal. I've heard of whiskey distilleries running the stripping runs until the total collected low wines are down to 27% abv. The claim is that it's cleaner than a one and done, but still holds more flavour than a normal strip and spirit whiskey. I've never tried it myself but am planning to try it soon, if you do let me know how it works out for you.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Had to come back add more lol when you run 40% low wines through the still your coming out with much higher alcohol than needed, so you dilute for aging (diluting the flavour too).
That's another reason to run the low wines down to 27%, your hearts cut should end up between 58-62 abv perfect for oak aging, meaning you won't be diluting that flavour with water. The numbers may be off a bit depending on your still, passive reflux, what ever, you can adjust your low wines to compensate on the next run.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there