Tried and true panty dropper recipe(s)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

ndrethma
Novice

Tried and true panty dropper recipe(s)

Post by ndrethma »

My first try at the panty dropper recipe...going for strawberry, strawberry/peach mix, peach, and pineapple...on my second sugar bath, and will be mixing and straining soon. The peach one liquor I took off is separating into light and dark and I'm not sure why? Any thoughts as to why this is happening are welcome!.

They all smell great, and I'm looking forward to cutting them down to about 20% and testing out the tried and true recipe:)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Tried and true panty dropper recipe(s)

Post by still_stirrin »

ndrethma wrote:...The peach one liquor I took off is separating into light and dark and I'm not sure why? Any thoughts as to why this is happening are welcome!
It’s probably from the oils in the skin, which when macerated are washed into the spirit. The oils will give you more flavor however. But as they coalesce it will introduce a cloudiness and it will tend to stratify in the jar, especially larger jars.

Here’s an interesting read about peach brandy...it may give you some ideas: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7289299

Often times, macerated fruits will be a little cloudy. One solution would be to rerun through the potstill. Another would be to cold filter. But maybe serving in a frosted glass is the best answer....YMMV.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
ndrethma
Novice

Post by ndrethma »

Thanks for the reply...kinda figured something like that, but always helps to get a second opinion! It smells great, I suspect is going to taste even better:)
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

still_stirrin wrote:
............Here’s an interesting read about peach brandy...it may give you some ideas: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7289299..........." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow.
Paulinka was a real class act 8) - wonder if he's gone forever ? - I do hope not.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

You can use bentonite to clear the sediment but it may remove some of the flavors as well, cold rash in will help as will gelatin.