First Uncle Remus Rice Vodka

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

gsugg
Novice

First Uncle Remus Rice Vodka

Post by gsugg »

Just about to pitch ec-1118 on my first UR Rice Vodka. What are your thoughts considering the following. I used a standard long grain (cheap!) rice and without added sugar and using only liquid enzymes, Milled the rice to a medium grind, started it in cold water, brought it to boiling with constant stirring. Added high temp SEBStar-HTL to keep it from getting too thick, and 1/4 cup of lemon juice. I let it boil for about 45 minutes to try and make sure it was gelled completely. Used about 2/3's of water to start and 2 pounds of rice per gallon. After the 45 minutes, I added the other 1/3 of water, added a second dose of the high temp enzyme at about 151 degrees. Once it cooled to 130 degrees, I added the SEBAmyl-GL enzyme. I wrapped it up for 90 minutes. I've got an SG of 1.074. If it goes to a 1.0, think that would transfer to an av of 9.74 (using what seems to be considered a pretty accurate online calculator). If it goes to 1.010, that would translate into 8.43% av. I've got a total of 28 gallons, so I thought maybe do 1/2 with sugar and 1/2 without and compare the two?

Thanks,
Greg
gsugg
Novice

Re: First Uncle Remus Rice Vodka

Post by gsugg »

I forgot to add that I started my EC-1118 in about 8 ounces of the mash, a few teaspoons of sugar, and let it sit for a couple of hours. Got a good cap on it.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

If you've already mashed it there would be no reason to add any sugar I would think unless I'm not understanding what you wrote.

1.074 isn't bad at all, I've not done any rice and I'm pretty sure someone who has will chime in on the taste and all the good stuff but that's awesome!
Keep us posted on how it turns out.

How are you planning to strain or do you have a way to cook all without scorching?
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

ShineOn,
I could add sugar if I wanted to try and increase the yield off of it. I have a very limited knowledge, but i think the chance you take is that you're going to lose some of the smoothness of having the lower abv; and possibly introduce a potential "sugar bite". I'm very new to working with just grains, but I don't think 1.074 is too bad with no added sugar. That's why I was thinking of doing 1/2 one way and 1/2 the other; so i could get a good comparison. (It would possibly make for a nice experiment!)

Straining is going to be a pain! I was thinking of maybe first running it through a pillow case; then put it through a straining bag and hang it to recover all I can. I've got an electric 5500 watt element; and was going to run it slow and low. Any ideas would be appreciated!
papstoker
Novice

Post by papstoker »

Hi. I just did my first rice stripping run. It took a looong time to ferment and just woukdnt stop even though the SG had dropped to 1.0. It was as if the starch kept on being converted to sugars and the ferment kept going.

I did add sugar to my wash and ended up with about 12% abv. Straining wasn't as much of a problem as I expected. The strip had an unexpectedly sweet taste - a bit like a corn shine.

Anyways, I aim to do a second run and to get to as close to a neutral as my potstill can manage; I have taken a liking to liqueurs (check out this amazing passion fruit (granadilla) liqueur I discovered http://www.foodloversrecipes.com/2015/05/pittekou/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ) and the Kahlua and Ginger recipes on the Trued and True section were great hits with my family.
Never trust a man who don't drink