I broke my Distilling Cherry today.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

I broke my Distilling Cherry today.

Post by Chixter »

This morning, I got a pleasant surprise. My Bayou classic burner and accessories arrived 2 days ahead of schedule. Being as I have the full use of this beautiful September day, I decided to run my 5 gallon sugar wash for my cleaning run. I'm running an 8 gallon SS pot still, no thumper from Brewhause supply. Last night I used the electric band to run full steam solution of vinegar and water. I had appx 5.5 gallons of wash made with 12# table sugar and 5 gallons of water. I used Liquor Quick turbo yeast for fermentation. Quite a spectacle it was. I cleared it yesterday this morning it was very clear. My OG was 1.068 and FG was .990, about a 10% ABV potential. I racked it into the boiler and set up out back on my patio. I have photos of my setup but do not know how to post them here. The bayou burner runs great, has an adjustment valve for gas flow as well as adjustable air aperture. You can get a good 60KBTU flame and easily adjust it down to a simmer. For cooling, I used a submersible pump and recirculated ice water in a 10 gal HD beverage cooler. About 15-20 minutes it was up to speed, and a trickle started. I was impressed how quickly the stream could be reduced or increased by adjusting the flame. Kind of like a throttle. I got the first 250ml or so, smelled just like nail polish remover. I got rid of that and proceeded to collect about a gallon in 2 half gallon jars 75 and 60 ABV respectively. This distillate smelled like cotton candy and was crystal clear. I wasn't concerned about cuts since I have no intention of consuming this. When I do a whiskey run, the final spirit run will be collected in pint mason jars. After things cooled down, I combined the distillate and diluted down to just under 40%. I got rid of the remaining wash and rinsed out the boiler and re-ran. I ended up with about 3/4 gallon that reads 85% ABV. It still had a candy type smell but not as sweet smelling...more like a vodka. I diluted a tbs or so and tasted it...it tasted kind of sweet as well. There has to be something to this because I also attracted every bee, wasp, and hornet within a 5 mile radius. I do have some observations:

The flow is directly proportionate to applied heat. This is why an element or a band or a hotplate without a power controller wouldn't be very good.

The distillate that was collected was about 100-120f. I thought it came out cooler than that. 5# of ice and a filled 10 gallon cooler, the cooling water was warm at the end of the stripping run. I'd say about 90f. Maybe it is better to run direct off the hose fitting instead of re-circulation. This is a steady supply of cool water. I imagine if the cooling water becomes too warm, it won't be effective and then your getting vapor out of your spout. Not good.

All and all it was a fun experience, I used about 1/3 of a 20# propane bottle, not too bad. I got to see what is taking place during distillation. I look forward to making something that tastes good.

I want to move onto UJSSM as listed here. My intent is to strip 5 gallon batches throwing out the fore shots but saving everything else until I have a few gallons for a spirit run, rather than strip, spirit run each time. Is this a good idea?
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: I broke my Distilling Cherry today.

Post by Mikey-moo »

Sounds like a plan.

Congrats :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Welcome to the pack!

As long as your outlet is not hotter than 100 dgr F, I would not worry.
And about the water: a lot of us try to recirculate the cooling water. I do not, but it is a pain to waste clean drinking water. So I use my air cooled spiral as much as possible.
A friend suggested I could fill a bath with the cooling water of a run, or do the dishes.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Chixter wrote:...Last night I used the electric band to run full steam solution of vinegar and water....(then a) wash made with 12# table sugar and 5 gallons of water...Liquor Quick turbo yeast...cleared it yesterday...
this morning...(I) racked it into the boiler and set up out back on my patio....I wasn't concerned about cuts since I have no intention of consuming this....
I ended up with about 3/4 gallon that reads 85% ABV....I diluted a tbs or so and tasted it...it tasted kind of sweet as well.
This was your sacrificial cleaning run? It should not be consumed. And rerunning it (after diluting to 40%) doesn't make it consumable. It's still sacrificial. Dump it! Your bowels will thank you.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I save my cleaning run products, invariably I will make changes and need to do another cleaning run. But yes, it is sacrificial, never potable.

Welcome to the club! And yes, several strip runs feeding a big UJ spirit run is a fine plan.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Good protocol , good results , good future plans .
In other words , congratulations ; you are fucked ! Welcome to the club . :wave:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

Truckinbutch wrote:Good protocol , good results , good future plans .
In other words , congratulations ; you are fucked ! Welcome to the club . :wave:
:lol: took the words right outta my mouth +1
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Love it when a new shows up and does his research 8)
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Nice write up!

Congrats :)