Booners all casual Uncle Remus rice Vodka

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Booners all casual Uncle Remus rice Vodka

Post by bigbone32 »

I took the best of 2 of my favorite T&T recipes and combined them. Crushed 100 lbs of rice with my Barley Mill set at .020 brought 50 gallons of water to a boil and added to rice then followed the directions for Booners. Ended up with a 58 gallon drum of 1.062 all rice no sugar mash. I've done this with corn several times and rice adds a new level of difficulty but am very happy with the result. Definitely a learning experience and there are a few things I would do different but if the product turns out as good as I think it will I'll be doing it again. The mash is currently bubbling away nicely.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Booners all casual Uncle Remus rice Vodka

Post by Swedish Pride »

thats how I treat my rice too, or any grain for that fact, works a treat.
Don't find any type of grain more difficult than any other they are all equally easy to mash and painful to squeeze
Don't be a dick
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

Squeezing is the easy part if you have the right tools. I use a spin dryer for a centrifuge. Should work the same for rice as it does corn. $170 on Amazon. This isn't my video but mine works the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3yS-3qa90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Swedish Pride wrote:thats how I treat my rice too, or any grain for that fact, works a treat.
Don't find any type of grain more difficult than any other they are all equally easy to mash and painful to squeeze
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

I was thinking about this the other day.....
Keep us in the loop

and for others reading this, he means these 2 recipes
Booners casual all corn
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=51458
Uncle Remus Rice Vodka
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=5368
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

Thanks for posting the links. Still bubbling away. I'll let you know how it finishes.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Swedish Pride wrote:thats how I treat my rice too, or any grain for that fact, works a treat.
Me too. Mop wringer and paint strainer help.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

Finished yesterday at .995. Wow this stuff tastes great. I'm going to keep a gallon and pasteurize it. I guess it'll be called wine. Not sure. It's a little under 9% but tastes great. "Squeezed" it with my Panda spin dryer nothing left but the hulls. I got 51 gallons racked in my 60 gallon conical secondary. I hope to run tomorrow and I'll post an update after I do. If you can swing the money I highly recommend a spin dryer. I use it for mash and cider, both apple and pear and it takes all the work out of it and gets all the liquid out. Nothing is wasted.
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

Ran 45 gallons of wash today. Used 3 six inch bubble cap plates. Ended up with 4 gallons of 90 % before cuts. Going to let it air overnight and make the cuts and dilute with spring water tomorrow.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I'm with ya on the rice, it makes a delicious mash, great wine, and a very light smooth spirit.
And the yield is great, too. I'm surprised rice doesn't get more chatter on here, it's cheap and easy to boot.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

I'm a convert. $29 for rice, some enzymes and yeast. IMHO it racks easier than corn and I got a better conversion vs corn and I love the taste. After fermentation the only thing left were the hulls which spun almost completely dry in my spin dryer. Definitely my new favorite.
MichiganCornhusker wrote:I'm with ya on the rice, it makes a delicious mash, great wine, and a very light smooth spirit.
And the yield is great, too. I'm surprised rice doesn't get more chatter on here, it's cheap and easy to boot.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Save the hull for other ferments as them suckers are expensive at my brew shop.

Congrats on a successful mash and run, enjoy!!!