Blue food grade barrel

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

rollmeown
Bootlegger

Blue food grade barrel

Post by rollmeown »

Hi everybody,
Recently obtained a blue 55 gallon barrel that is food grade and it is closed lid meaning has the two bung ports and was thinking about using this to mix my sugar and water in for syrup to add to my fermenters. Question is if I add 50 lb of sugar to 50 gallons of water what would my ratio be to add to a 24 gallon ferment? I know when you add sugar two two gallons of water that 2 gallons of water becomes 3 gallons of water and sugar so maybe not 50 lb of sugar or 50 gals of water. Right now I use 36 lb of sugar 36 lb of grain to 24 gallons of water usually come out to about 8% alcohol basically following a sweet feed recipe. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Blue food grade barrel

Post by still_stirrin »

Look at the parent site calculators. Your questions will be answered there...
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Okay was doing Google searches never thought about the parent site so using the specific gravity of sugar wash calculator. I guess essentially I am making a sugar wash with the grain to add flavor. I guess I was thinking of more of a super concentration of sugar syrup so that when I do my 24 gallon ferment I can only use 4 gallons of syrup and dilute the rest with water that way I don't have to keep mixing sugar and water I would just have a 55 gallon barrel on hand cutting down on having to deal with that mess.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I'm not sure how concentrated the sugar/water mix has to be, but if it's high enough it will preserve itself, from wild yeasts and molds etc that would otherwise attack it. That way you can store it and not worry about it going bad, funky or off.
Getting hung up all day on smiles