First UJSM spirit run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

LiveFreeorDieTryin
Novice

First UJSM spirit run

Post by LiveFreeorDieTryin »

Have been working my way towards my first UJSM spirit run. Started with 2 x 5 gal ferments for my sweet run start. Stripped, resulting in approx 2 gallons low wines. Split the corn/yeast remainder from racking to create 2 more 5 gal ferments....topping off corn to approximate original amounts. Used backset from sweet run to get the now 4 x 5 gal ferments restarted. I have done strips off generation 2 and 3 of these 4 fermenters. Resulting in approximately 4.5 gals low wines for each generation. Left the remaining backset from my last stripping run in keg boiler and added all UJSM low wines accumulated to Date. So, I have a charge of approximately 13 gallons of low wines and backset ready for spirit run. Charge is 35% abv adjusted for temperature. As advised I want to try to collect this spirit run in small jars for making rookie cuts. Based on reading I am expecting 3-4 gals of hearts of 65% abv. Not sure if this is reasonable expectation... I realize it is influenced by many factors but looking for rough estimate. In planning collection I have about 25-30 12 oz jars I want to use for collection. I will likely need to switch to larger jars for heart of hearts if my collection volume expectations are accurate. Hopefully switching back to small jars at any sign of tails. Sorry for blathering on but I find if I am forced to put my thoughts to type I expose what I have not thought of.

PS: foreshots were removed during all stripping runs but I will also remove 250ml during spirit run. Planning to run broken stream for foreshots and heads. Moving to matchstick steam for hearts/tails. FYI I am using pot still setup on 15.5 gal keg boiler on propane.

All thoughts and comments welcome. Planning to make spirit run this weekend.

Will
Antler24
Trainee

Re: First UJSM spirit run

Post by Antler24 »

LiveFreeorDieTryin wrote:Have been working my way towards my first UJSM spirit run. Started with 2 x 5 gal ferments for my sweet run start. Stripped, resulting in approx 2 gallons low wines. Split the corn/yeast remainder from racking to create 2 more 5 gal ferments....topping off corn to approximate original amounts. Used backset from sweet run to get the now 4 x 5 gal ferments restarted. I have done strips off generation 2 and 3 of these 4 fermenters. Resulting in approximately 4.5 gals low wines for each generation. Left the remaining backset from my last stripping run in keg boiler and added all UJSM low wines accumulated to Date. So, I have a charge of approximately 13 gallons of low wines and backset ready for spirit run. Charge is 35% abv adjusted for temperature. As advised I want to try to collect this spirit run in small jars for making rookie cuts. Based on reading I am expecting 3-4 gals of hearts of 65% abv. Not sure if this is reasonable expectation... I realize it is influenced by many factors but looking for rough estimate. In planning collection I have about 25-30 12 oz jars I want to use for collection. I will likely need to switch to larger jars for heart of hearts if my collection volume expectations are accurate. Hopefully switching back to small jars at any sign of tails. Sorry for blathering on but I find if I am forced to put my thoughts to type I expose what I have not thought of.

PS: foreshots were removed during all stripping runs but I will also remove 250ml during spirit run. Planning to run broken stream for foreshots and heads. Moving to matchstick steam for hearts/tails. FYI I am using pot still setup on 15.5 gal keg boiler on propane.

All thoughts and comments welcome. Planning to make spirit run this weekend.

Will
My first ujsm spirit run was 12 gallons of 40% low wines. After cuts I ended up with 12 quart jars and a pint of 72%
according to my notes. That's 3.125 gallons, diluted to 65% it would be 3.43 gallons, so your expectations are in the right spot.
I know it's hard not to think about quantity when your doing your first runs but your looking for quality, not quantity. Use your sense of smell, taste, and feel to make your cuts. 6 bottles of great whiskey is better than 10 bottles of "not bad" whiskey.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
LiveFreeorDieTryin
Novice

Thank you for sharing your notes Antler. I will use my senses and alcohol hydrometer as my guide posts. Ideally I would just collect entire run in small containers but my quantity of containers will not be sufficient. May switch to larger jar when clearly in hearts and back to smaller jars on any indication of tails smell. I was able to smell tails even during my stripping runs quite clearly. The heads to hearts transition was more difficult in my limited uncut stripping run smelling and feeling.

Will
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

LiveFreeorDieTryin wrote:Thank you for sharing your notes Antler. I will use my senses and alcohol hydrometer as my guide posts. Ideally I would just collect entire run in small containers but my quantity of containers will not be sufficient. May switch to larger jar when clearly in hearts and back to smaller jars on any indication of tails smell. I was able to smell tails even during my stripping runs quite clearly. The heads to hearts transition was more difficult in my limited uncut stripping run smelling and feeling.

Will
Your hydrometer or alcometer cannot be used to make cuts. I'm not sure where you got that idea but it's false, it can't be done on a pot still.

Secondly, I really recommend you don't attempt to make cuts right from the still. Pickup some mason jars, I use pint jars. Even on a spirit run the stuff will be kinda funny right off the still, almost like you ran it too fast and smeared it. Collect in small jars and let it air out 24-48hrs before making cuts. Sounds like you need to do more research to me.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
LiveFreeorDieTryin
Novice

I never said I was making cuts based on ABV. I used my hydrometer to give me an idea where I was in the run. I also was not attempting to make cuts during the spirit run, was just planning to switch to larger containers when in obvious hearts. The run went perfectly and is airing for 48 hours before I make my cuts. Thank you for your input.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

LiveFreeorDieTryin wrote:I never said I was making cuts based on ABV. I used my hydrometer to give me an idea where I was in the run. I also was not attempting to make cuts during the spirit run, was just planning to switch to larger containers when in obvious hearts. The run went perfectly and is airing for 48 hours before I make my cuts. Thank you for your input.
Just trying to encourage you to use small containers because the cuts aren't obvious to even a seasoned distiller. To someone who's never distilled before cuts are going to be very difficult. I been running mine for 2 and half years now and I still struggle with cuts sometimes. Hate to see ya mess up first batch and get discouraged that's all!
Swedish Pride wrote: