DRINK

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

DRINK

Post by Chixter »

OK my UJSSM aging mason jars with oak sticks is nicely colored. Its only about 2 weeks but I figured It's time to try a little. The product once tempered to 85-90 proof tastes very good...just sippin straight. Very smooth, no bite at all! A little sweet for my tastes (most bourbons are) but a nice change of pace from spicy ryes or single malts. I'm proud of my first home made whiskey. A friend who is a big JD fan thought it was great and drank a fair share of the trial jar. I told him to wait until it ages some more and he can sip away when he's over. Sunday was a rainy miserable day, I love coffee and decided to make a nice mug of "Irish" coffee using a shot and a half of my UJ as the spirit. WOW!!!! The best Irish coffee I ever had, truly. I urge anyone who likes such a beverage to try it. During a 4hr binge watch of Ken Burns Vietnam documentary, I had 2 coffees. Incredible. And the knowing that I made it here myself adds to the cheer.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: DRINK

Post by still_stirrin »

Great job Chixter. UJ is naturally sweet, as expected.

You should brew an all barley distiller's beer to see how you like that. It won't be quite as sweet, but the barley malt makes a very nice whiskey. Use 2-row with some Munich malt for a little toastiness. I think the nutty quality is very nice in mine, especially when aged a year or more on toasted and charred oak.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Try nuke ageing some uj with a couple cinnamon sticks and adding that to your coffee.
By the way, that whiskey(only oaked at 2wks) will start to taste really bad(like oak tannin) but don't worry ,it starts tasting even better after that(aged).
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

I made a response to this yesterday while I had an office full of jokesters.
Read my response later and it looked like a drunken diatribe, so I deleted it.

The point was, it looks like you're having a great time at this hobby, Chixter.
There's something magical about making our own liquor.
Glad you're having as great a time doing it as I am.
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

Still life, I'm going to run your Rye recipe this weekend. When I threw the pound of roasted barley into the mash it began to look like a chocolate cake batter!
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Yeah... I thought I'd ruined it when I saw the brown murk I'd created.
Had a whiskey glass of that rye (a couple months old from a charred barrel) while we doled out
candy Halloween night. No ice, as it was chilly that night.
I was never a big fan of rye until I made my own. Now I love it.