First rum run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

SchmuBrew
Novice

First rum run

Post by SchmuBrew »

This was the first alcohol cleaning run, following Buncaneer Bob's recipe fairly closely gave me 23 liters of wash, which I topped up with hot water to 27 litres.

Pot ran great, condenser was able to keep up with 5500W element (running at 50% after initial heat up).

I filled 250 ml jars as if I was doing a proper run. Jars filled at a rate of about 100ml a minute - does that sound about right? Output was a barely broken stream.

Here are the ABV numbers - is close to be what should be expected?

Jar
#1 65% (250 ml)
#2 60% (250 ml)
#3 60% (250 ml)
#4 58% (500 ml)
#5 55% (500 ml)
#6 55% (500 ml)
#7 50% (500 ml)
#8 48# (500 ml)
#9 45% (250 ml)
#10 42% (250 ml)

Going to run 12 more gallons as a keeper run (single run, low & slow) as soon as the unit cools down.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Re: First rum run

Post by nuntius01 »

well, looks like it took you under 40 minutes then. i take it you had a 2" column. not knowing your boiler yes, no maybe. what did you start out with too? was it close to 10%. if so then yes, maybe. also, with the pot may want to run it down a little further. but thats a total judgement call. looking just at the decrease in percentage, that's normal, or appears to be. remember, everyones still runs slightly different. good luck on your next run
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
SchmuBrew
Novice

Post by SchmuBrew »

I only ran it down to the 40% range as it was a cleaning run.

here is the rig, 1 1/2" coloumn

I just finished the 12 gallon wash (again bad me, I did not track my SG or FG)

kept 10 litres total out of 50 litre wash, started at 65% and finished at 15% (according to the calc it would've/should've been 8% to start)

airing out as we speak, will taste a few tomorrow evening :clap:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I hope you did a couple stripping runs then a spirit run as rum will be harsh as hell once ran without a thumper so if that is the case keep it and run a few more stripping runs to get enough low wines at 35% to fill your boiler.

Good job on the run by the way! Rums are easy and good but also easily made bad by not doing multiple runs or a run in a thumper.

You may like it as is and that's what we thrive for, I was just giving some advice from personal experience so please don't take offense.

Shine0n

Edited- I just seen you mention a single run slow and low, taste it and see but I'm willing to bet you'll like to do another spirit run. As mentioned, rum is a very powerful taste once ran but hell... it may be exactly what you're looking for.

Keep us posted on the progress.