First real run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

vitoboy
Novice

First real run

Post by vitoboy »

Hi all
Long time since I posted here...been busy I guess.
Final got my still built ... a cm ... I know ..old and inefficient design...mods to come.

Did the cleaning with vinigar,water run.
Did a sacrifice run with some bought cider.

Brewed my first birdwatchers 25l wash and ran it yesterday.

Collected in 7 jars...first 100 ml fores ...then 2 x 250ml heads ..then 1 l hearts ...another 500 ml hearts/ tails ..final 150ml tails.

I went slow...it took 6 hours in all...but results seem good...heads and hearts jars are showing 87/89% and last jar down to 60% ..got bored at this point and shut it down.

Been tasting this morning with a view to cuts...but I have to say all jars (not fores) seem very similar ...apart from the final jar.

Interesting flavour wise...not what I'd call smooth at all...the most similar thing I can link it to is some French cherry eau de vie I have (shop bought).

I was hoping for a bit more neutral really .. but first go so Im pretty happy.

I have 30l of 1/2 apple - sugar wash to run this week..then I'll start the mods on the still.

Any advise on aging the Bw guys..?

Cheers

Vitoboy
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: First real run

Post by still_stirrin »

Did you put coffee filters on the jars for 24-36 hours to air out the volatiles? If not, that could be the “sharpness” you noted. Let them “breath” and it’ll get better.

Personally, I prefer Rad’s All Bran as a neutral better than the Birdwatchers. I get more “sugar bite” in the BW than the all bran, probably because the grain flakes buffers the volatile congener production.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
vitoboy
Novice

Post by vitoboy »

Ta still stirin

No..but I left the jar lids open over night....I do have a pack of unbleached coffee filters though...
I watered down the second 250ml jar today with water to 42/3 % and it was a lot smoother than yesterday
Guess I'll hang on and see how it goes...in the mean time crack on with the apple.

Thanks again.

Vito
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you want TPW to be more neutral, ferment four times as much, fast strip down to 40% low wines, (or when it starts to get stinky), then spirit run that with the CM. That should get you a large quantity of very fine neutral.

I don't age, or drink, Birdwatchers without making something else out of it first, saving my oak for rum, whiskey and brandy. There is a lot you can do with neutral that is better than making 'oak tea'.