Distillation of Stout Beer?

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

papstoker
Novice

Distillation of Stout Beer?

Post by papstoker »

A few years ago I bought 2 beer kits for making 20 liters of stout. (I love guiness). I fermented the first one. It was ok, but a bit yeasty. (I knew nothing about racking etc) So I just discovered the other kit in the cupboard yesterday and thought 'mmm, stout whiskey... theres an idea... best of both worlds'

Its bubbling away nicely now and I aim to distill next weekend. Has anyone ever tried something like this? Any tips?
Never trust a man who don't drink
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Re: Distillation of Stout Beer?

Post by nuntius01 »

i did 15 gallons of oatmeal stout about 6 months ago. it's been on oak for that time and has only gotten better. going to be xmass gifts for the family. dont expect any to be left after new years.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I emptied the leftovers out of 3 different 5 gallon kegs of beer produced by a local brewery, one was a pale ale, one was a brown ale and one was a strong ale. All total, I ran about 5 gallons of the beer wash. I ran it through the potstill and stripped it. I collected a quart of the hearts. It turned out to be a very tasty white dog....a little sweet, but with a very nice grain flavor.

The beers were all “expired”, that is, they were purchased for resale at a local event and not served completely out. They had been stored, unchilled for several months after the event, and the (licensed) reseller could have returned the kegs with the beer in it, or we could have dumped it down the drain. Instead, I ran it through the still and recovered the spirit. Waste not...want not.

Brew your stout and run it. It’ll be worth your effort.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rumbuff
Swill Maker

Post by rumbuff »

I've ran 48 litres of porter a couple weeks ago, and I didn't like it at all. Perhaps too much smokyness from the malt or too much hop flavour, but I didn't like it at all. It's likely to go through a feints run for some vodka