Blending

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Blending

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hi, I am gooing to gain some insight into blending at different stages and how it affects the product in the bottle. Ie: blending grains in your mashbill and proceding compared to blending low wines, feints, or hearts from different single malt runs.

In other words if I make straight corn liquor, and single malts of barley, wheat, rye, oats, etc - then blend the distillate to make my bourbon or whatever it is going into the bottle @ 80pF'ish.

How different are these methods ? Is blending distillate reasonable? What about blending low wines and backset from different runs?

I love this hobbynand the possibilities for unique spirits are practically limitless.

Thanks!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bushman
Admin

Re: Blending

Post by Bushman »

If I am not wrong we have several members that have used that method. Nothing wrong with the method and doing your own tests is one of the better ways of learning.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Bushman wrote:If I am not wrong we have several members that have used that method. Nothing wrong with the method and doing your own tests is one of the better ways of learning.
+1. You could make them all separate and then create a half dozen different Bourbons in quart jars. Great way to experiment with a bunch of different grain bills without have to buying several batches worth of malts.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

A lot of Canadian whiskeys are blended after distillation, or aging even.