Youngster trying to ferment apple juice

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Youngster trying to ferment apple juice

Post by Reverend Newer »

Well, the title pretty much says it all.

I was a young and dumb about 20 years ago and thought I'd ferment up a carboy of Sam's apple juice. Needless to say, it turned out horrible.
Only later did I hear that Sam's apple juice was sitting on the shelf too long, had fermented and had been given to babies. I heard that there is now an additive added to Sams apple juice to prevent any possible fermentation before it gets to the consumer.

I do not know if what I heard about the apple joose is fact, but it is no matter because I've graduated in skills since them early days.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
zapata
Distiller

Re: Youngster trying to ferment apple juice

Post by zapata »

Many bottled juices have potassium sorbate added as a preservative. Many frozen juices dont because not only are they frozen, but because they are concentrated the osmotic pressure is too high to easily spoil (ferment).

Potassium sorbate doesnt kill yeast, but it does prevent yeast from multiplying. So you can ferment sorbated juices, you just have to add so much yeast that they dont need to multiply.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I don't know about Sam's club juice but I've seen Motts apple juice ferment in a sealed bottle.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Some of the cheap apple juice has ascorbic and citric acid
That can make it difficult to ferment because of the low pH
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I read the labels and look for the one that doesn't have sorbate. Kroger apple juice is one I have used without issue. The best though is the fresh non pasteurized no additives cider. Not clear. It's just a little more expensive. I did a honey / cider mead with added apples and a bunch of other dark berry fruits that I ended up distilling. It's really very good. Maybe the best (can't buy this stuff anywhere) I'm making more of that no doubt ;)

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————