Gin - reflux or not to reflux??

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

AndyH78
Novice

Gin - reflux or not to reflux??

Post by AndyH78 »

Hi Everyone - my first post as I’ve got as far as I can on excitement and reading up on the Internet alone...

I’ve built my own simple pot still - a bit Heath Robinson as uses a rice cooker and some piping, but seems to do the job and, most importantly, has got me hooked.

I want to go to the next step and I’ve been looking at the bigger home setups on the Internet, and a reflux column is where I’m currently scratching my head.

I have bought ethanol (~96%) from a local producer and steep my botanicals in a slightly watered down mix before running through the pot still. Works very well so far and I have no ambitions to create my own ethanol as this
itself has various issues where I am.

So my question is - what benefit would a reflux still provide in my setup that a simple pot still won’t?

Separately, a small batch distillery I know also uses a thumper as well as a reflux column, but like me they are buying in their high purity ethanol. so I’m wondering what the benefit is of doing this in a commercial situation? Do I just not need to worry about this for home setup?

Many thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Gin - reflux or not to reflux??

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The only reason that you would want a reflux still to make gin is to make the neutral to put in the pot still to make the gin.
AndyH78 wrote:I have bought ethanol (~96%) from a local producer and steep my botanicals in a slightly watered down mix
45% abv is high enough to macerate botanicals for gin, you shouldn't be putting anything in your pot still at a higher abv than that anyway.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

You might think of reading the OP of this thread: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=67771

Has something to say about the % of the alcohol you use for macerating.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

AndyH78 wrote: I have no ambitions to create my own ethanol as this
If you are in the states, and those issues are legality, just want to make sure you understand that you aren't dodging the issue. In the US, any unlicensed distillation is illegal period, even if you are buying the alcohol and redistilling. If this isnt the case, apologies.

No need for a reflux still if you dont want to make neutral. But I will humbly question if your still is safe? Is it truly vapor tight, with nothing in contact with spirits or vapors other than stainless steel, ptfe, copper or glass? Especially no plastics, rubbers, plated metals?
AndyH78
Novice

Post by AndyH78 »

Thanks everyone for responses, very useful.

Just to add - no I’m not in the US, I live in Asia so we have different licensing issues to deal with but thanks for the info.

I think I’m going to go ahead and buy one with a Reflux column just incase I hedge that way in the future, but good to see that I can run as a pot still as have been doing.

Thanks everyone

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've been making very fine gin with pot stills. Unless you are commercial and need to meet certain requirements, a reflux still is not necessary for making good gin. A well cut ,double distilled, base spirit makes a nice gin as long as its flavors don't clash with the intended finished product. It can even make a superior product if it is well matched.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

AndyH78 wrote:I have bought ethanol (~96%) from a local producer and steep my botanicals in a slightly watered down mix before running through the pot still. Works very well so far and I have no ambitions to create my own ethanol as this
You'll probably want to check your alcohol in advance to confirm its completely neutral. Wholesale alcohol is often sold... whole and without cuts which would make a nasty gin. Just a thought.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by AndyH78 »

Thanks ExpatLad will do