First Mash Paddle

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

First Mash Paddle

Post by Twisted Brick »

So the plan for the upcoming first AG mash is a bourbon using 'old school' techniques, meaning only rye and barley malt for enzymes and one of those manual paddles to stir with. I fully intend to construct a motorized stirrer (with a windshield wiper motor) at some point, but figured I'd start out with this just so I can say I used to do it the old-fashioned way.

I found a piece of 5" x 44" mahogany in the garage and in about an hour had it cut and sanded to shape. I ordered a 16oz bottle of tung oil on Amazon, and dammit if it didn't show up at the house 2pm the following day! Anyway, I oiled 'er up with four coats of oil and its been curing for about a week.

I figure once I get a motorized mash paddle in gear, I can always use this one to dough in single malt whiskies.
Attachments
IMG_1938 copy.jpg
IMG_1939 copy.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: First Mash Paddle

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Or for rock n' roll instead of a cricket bat (Spinal Tap reference).
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Very nice twisted. She sure is purty
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:Or for rock n' roll instead of a cricket bat (Spinal Tap reference).

I'm not sure its stout enough to put through a coffee table or TV, but the other night the wifey caught me playing air guitar with it. After I handed it over, she promptly marched me upstairs and showed me who was boss! :lol:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Twisted Brick wrote:
RedwoodHillBilly wrote:Or for rock n' roll instead of a cricket bat (Spinal Tap reference).

I'm not sure its stout enough to put through a coffee table or TV, but the other night the wifey caught me playing air guitar with it. After I handed it over, she promptly marched me upstairs and showed me who was boss! :lol:
That's good. I won't touch that with a 10 ft cricket bat :)
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

That's really good! I'll be looking for a nice piece of wood to make one of these too :)

Good luck with it!
ciao,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks Jonny!

I Googled mash paddle and a ton of examples came up. I just picked one I liked.

One word of warning though. You are going to want to finish the wood to help it resist wear and bacteria. I chose pure tung oil because it is a natural product and after it has filled the wood's cell walls, oxidation causes it to polymerize, (become a solid) and becomes a durable resistor to water, oils and alcohol. The Chinese used this oil in the 1400's to impregnate their giant (440' in length) teak warships and the vessels that landed in America prior to Columbus in 1492. It is slow to dry however and will take 30 days to cure properly.

Just be aware that several manufacturers of 'tung oil' like Formby's and MinWax contain VOC's and solvents designed to speed up the drying process. I think by calling it Tung Oil Finish they can get around including only a small amount or no actual tung oil in the product. Boiled linseed oil is cheaper and quicker-drying, but is prone to mildew and yellowing. I think it cost me $5 more for 16oz of tung oil.

Good luck.

TB
Attachments
IMG_1962 copy.jpg

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Very nice :thumbup:
I have a piece of unfinished white oak that I've been using on my rums from years (old axe handle). It probably has some funky stuff in it by now but not one infection in my rums unless I've intentionally put it there.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

:thumbup: almost looks to nice to use!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks, Bushman. I just hope my mashes do it justice.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun