Carlo rossi, a 5th of jack and my first time running shine

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Carlo rossi, a 5th of jack and my first time running shine

Post by Alchemist75 »

This is the story of my very first technical attempt to refine ethanol. Mind you I've run stills upwards of twenty years for solvent recovery and essential oils but it's only within the last 9 that I began fermenting and running my product.
One night, so many years ago, my best friend had come over for a night of drinking and listening to tunes. He had himself been making cheap fruit wine for years before we met and I'd told him at one point that it could be possible to put his hooch in one of my set ups and run off hard liquor. On the particular night in question he had no home brew but I wanted to show him how it all worked so we spun up to the grocery store to pick up a 5th of Jack to drink and a gallon of cheap Carlo Rossi to throw in one of my boilers.
What ensued was fairly absurd but highly memorable.
We got back to my place and put together my biggest rig which at that time could run about 2 gallons of whatever. It was a home made stainless steel cooker I used only rarely (my glass set ups were more reliable) and it required that you used flour paste to seal the big cap on it. We dumped the wine on in and took a shot of bourbon. I made up a bowl of the flour paste and sealed the cap on the thing. We let it set up for a half hour and a few shots later. I believe I was blasting skinny puppy or front 242 and had the whole place lit up with Christmas lights. I finally went back in and attached the lyne arm and condenser and fired that puppy up. It did OK for about the first 20 minutes or so and then the paste sprung a leak which I then hastily patched. Not long after it sprung another leak so I had him mixing up more paste while I applied liberal quantities around the cap to contain the growing catastrophe. We're both good and buzzed by this point but we pressed on and I think after all was said and done we collected maybe 150 of hoochy brandy which we then promptly consumed. We cut the heat and blundered into the living room where we got lit up. I recall being crumpled in the corner with him, crying and I think he kissed my hand at one point.
The next day my roomie came home from her boyfriends place and remarked that the kitchen looked like a bakery had exploded in there. There was flower and dried paste everywhere.
We got more serious after that night and soon he and I were making drinkable product but that night will always live on in both our minds. First real liquor run for better or worse.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Old Town
Swill Maker

Re: Carlo rossi, a 5th of jack and my first time running shi

Post by Old Town »

Nice two see two people bond over a wonderful hobby.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Ummm , Carl ; I don't know if I would have told that ..................
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Like popcorn said,theys two kinds of likker,the fighting kind and the loving kind.
I think y'all was drinking the second kind in company more appropriate to the first kind.
Gotta be careful about that.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Oh it's a story we both still tell. No, we didn't do it right, yes we got falling down drunk and that was likely the moment we became fast friends. It's a "first" story that isn't necessarily the norm but it kicked off a whole hobby that he and I share still. Now, I just gotta get him his rig built and he won't be coming to me every time he needs a batch of rum run. Not that I mind terribly, it's an excuse to hang out but hell if we drink while we're doing it, good luck making cuts with booze on your tongue. A Kentucky boy meets the child of two Yankees and somehow they end up bonding over booze and a still. It's a tale fit for this forum....I think. Regardless, that was my first as it were, that's how it started.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

What happens when you drink both, the loving and fighting kind?
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

bilgriss wrote:What happens when you drink both, the loving and fighting kind?
Very rough sex
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

wtfdskin wrote:
bilgriss wrote:What happens when you drink both, the loving and fighting kind?
Very rough sex
Agreed.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Heh, ask my wife and she'll tell you it's gin that gets hubby all lovey dovey but then I tend to get more affectionate after a drink of just about anything shy of tequila or piss quality vodka.....
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Nice story, Alchemist75. Indeed one to remember and retell the rest of your life.

I see two old men sitting on a porch with a drink and remembering this story and then fall out of their rockingchairs laughing. And they have to help each other up again. :ebiggrin:
kakashi
Novice

Gonna be some fighting

Post by kakashi »

This reminds me of an old joke my father used to tell over a beer.

A city fella moves out to the country and he settles down in a remote cabin, ready to write the next great novel. He's there for a few months, and has hardly seen another soul, apart from rare trips to a small local township to stock up on supplies.

One afternoon, he's relaxing on his porch, sipping an ale when a scraggly looking man meanders down a deer path towards his house. He approaches an introduces himself as a neighbour from over the hill.

Pleased to have company for the first time in a long while, the man invites him to sit and have a drink with him. The neighbour obliges and after a few minutes he says to the man "I'm gonna have a little get together over my place in a few days, I'd like you to come along".

The man smiles and says it would be his pleasure.

The neighbour nods and says "I gotta warn ya, there's gonna be some drinking there".

The man likes a drink so he laughs and says "great, I could do with a good drink".

The neighbour says "There's gonna be some fighting too."

"That's ok, I don't mind a bit of fighting".

Then the neighbour lowers his voice and says "there's gonna be some loving too".

Flushed with the idea of female company, the man blurts "I'm up for some loving".

They both sip their drinks and the man asks "say neighbour, how many people are you expecting at your party?"

The neighbour replies "why, it's just gonna be you and me."

<snare drum, high hat>