My first Irish Peat smoked Barley Malt

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

My first Irish Peat smoked Barley Malt

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I wish some of you scotch lovers could smell the wonderful peat smoked aroma of my distillate right now.
I’m about halfway through my strip run and I’m excited! Oh! I just tasted it. Smokey and nearly a sweet flavor. Smooth.
Let me backup I little. Last winter Jimy Dee (a member here) contacted me and we had a conversation about all barley whiskeys. After a few emails we became fast friends. Both of us interested in each others lives and what it is like living in different countries. Me in California and he in Ireland. I think we would be good mates if we lived closer. In an email I told him I was jealous of the peat bogs there, and that if I lived where there was peat to be had I’d be in smoked Peat heaven. His reply was if I lived where the Redwood trees grew to the heavens, like me, he would feel Similar.. Three weeks later I received a package with 2 sticks of “ turf” peat from Ireland. And a few weeks later he got a package of giant redwood seeds. “I got the better deal!”
So with the help I got here at HD I learned how to smoke my own malt.
Here’s the threads: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 83&t=67497
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 83&t=67549
My grain bill was: 40% Rahar 2 row Irish Peat smoked barley malt
60% Simpson’s golden promise barley malt
I used Safale 05 yeast
I smoked the Rahar malt in the cold smoker for 6 hours spritzing (lightly) and
Turning the grains every 20 minutes or so.
I let the smoked grains rest for at least a month before I mashed and
fermented.
Thank you Jimy Dee for the peat and the new friendship.
I’ll post the results after I do my spirit run.
JBC
Last edited by JellybeanCorncob on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBC
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: My first Irish Peat smoked Barley Malt

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Damn, sounds good. I hope that I can get a taste after it's done. BTW, I tried the 2 bottles that you left this weekend. Very good. I particularly like the chocolate rye bourbon. I need to get the recipe for that.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

JBC
Rock on my friend. I am delighted it is turning out to be a good experiment.
I hope yourself and Redwood Hill Billy enjoy a good drop in due course.
Keep us posted as to developments please.
Jimy
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:Damn, sounds good. I hope that I can get a taste after it's done. BTW, I tried the 2 bottles that you left this weekend. Very good. I particularly like the chocolate rye b ourbon. I need to get the recipe for that.
I decided a little over a year ago that I’m going to be good and give my whiskeys at least a year before I bottle them. Time on oak has made my product so much better. So if your willing to wait for a taste I think it’s going to be special.
Thanks Redwood
JBC
JBC
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jimy Dee wrote:JBC
Keep us posted as to developments please.
Jimy
I will
JBC
JBC
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by peat, but I'm not a single malt fan. I'll make some eventually but it's pretty far down the list lol

What do this process involve?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Antler24 wrote:What do this process involve?
Antler: The process is exactly the same as all grain. The only difference is smoking the malt. I don’t Malt my own grains :cry:, don’t have the space. I have pictures of my smoker and a discription of it in the link above “Irish eyes are smiling”.
What takes time and energy for me is setup and breakdown of my equipment and letting the smoke adhere to my grains. With the Masterbuilt cold smoker I have to break the peat into small chunks and they smoke better.
I break the peat into chunks then put in the smoker
I break the peat into chunks then put in the smoker
D811ACE8-87D5-45F5-937E-D7C04A914BA6.jpeg
67F331B3-9214-4CBD-9B68-61CFA5BCBE9D.jpeg
I fill the smoker with the peat chips about one log and turn it on. It’s smoking away in 20 minuets or so. I spritze with a mister every 20 to 30 minuets. I also move the grains around with my fingers then mist. Don’t get the grains too wet they will mold if they aren’t dried out. I know from experience. One stick of peat will smoke for about 6 hours, and by that time I’m ready to finish. I’ve been told that the smoke flavor gets better if you let the grains rest for a month or so. And that’s what I’ve been doing.
Hope this makes sense to you.
I did my spirit run and will do my cuts in a few days.
I’ll report back then. But I think after a year or so on once used bourbon sticks I’ll have a better idea if my experiment worked. But I’m pretty confident it’s going to be very tasty drop.
JBC
JBC
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Thanks! I know what you mean about renting the grains after smoking. I cold smoked some cheese once and after wrapping and putting everything in the fridge I sampled a small piece. Was like eat cheese flavoured cigarette butts. About 2 months later me and the wife were out on a date night and my parents were watching the kids. I came home and my father had half of a 2"x2"x5" block of the cheese. I'd completely forgotten about it, but it was delicious!
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks for the write-up, JBC.

After several years of barely dabbling in peaty whiskeys, I was convinced that they are not my favorite. Then, everything changed about a month ago when I was served a glass of Highland Park 12, which I have bought and drank a bottle of and don't consider it even moderately peaty. The bartender was a very close friend of my host at the bar and I seriously think I was poured (about four fingers) the 18yo, not the 12yo. I was initially bowled over by the severity of the peat, but started in on it like always :D . After a bit, the peat had kind of faded into the dark, creamy nectar of this glass, and by the time I was half through I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Now I am seriously considering picking up one of those Masterbuilt cold smokers (probably good for salmon too) and ordering some genuine peat. I am serious about getting good at distilling/ageing single malt scotches, and now this will be part of the journey.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

I made my cuts today. And it is peaty. I started with hearts very smooth light smoke and earth notes. As I moved towards the heads the earthy flavor increased. The head/heart cut was nearly overpowering. It reminded me of digging in the earth as a child, smelling the moist loam on my hands but more intense. Too much? I don’t know. I’ve never done this before. As I moved toward the tails a smoke flavor came through getting stronger till the stinky yucky flavor of tales overpowered the smoke. I mixed my cuts keep together and Proofed to 62% ABV. I took a sip straight from the flask. It’s a strong mix of smokey, earthy delight. But by no means drinkable yet. My take was nearly 1/2 gallon.
I put a once used bourbon stick in. 3/4 by 3/4 by 5 inches. Now comes the hardest part letting the oak and time do there magic. I’ll give it at least a year with an occasional taste to see how it’s coming along. I’m hoping I’ve done everything right. I kind of feel like I’m flying by the seat of my pants sometimes. Any input is welcome. I haven’t found many posts about smoking with peat so some of this is a mix of what I’ve learned here and common sense . I’m going to do a batch of malted barley next so I have something to blend with if the flavors are too intense with the peated batch. Thanks for listening
JBC
JBC
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Keep us updated. You'll find those flavors which are over the top initially blend and become part of the overall flavor profile given some time.....the hardest thing to bottle.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

JBC, I hope your scotch is everything u wish it to be. The thread is really educational. Well done and thanks for letting us in on your expirement. Jimy

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks for the write up JBC, I'm glad you and Jimy are buds :thumbup: I've spent alot of time online chatting with him and getting to know each other and he's come along way and seeing he sent you some peat I know he's a stand up guy.

Hope your scotch turns out well for you and keep up the good work,
Shine0n
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Shine0n wrote:Thanks for the write up JBC,

Hope your scotch turns out well for you and keep up the good work,
Shine0n
ShineOn: Sugar washes just don't cut it for me any more. With the time I've spent on this 1/2 gallon of peated barley I could have gallons of sugar based recipes. For me its not just about making alcohol. It's the process, learning the basics of course, then producing a quality product. I still think I have a way to go but I'm happy with the direction it's headed. I'm lucky to have a member hear that lives close by, and he's been very helpful. And then there's my Irish connection. Thanks for the peat mate!
Thanks for the kind words Shine On.
jBC
JBC
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

You turned that smokey joe into a barley bog peat smokka? Whoa !!!!

I love those islay malts !

May try this one day ;)

Cheers to you!
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
RaymieDubbs
Novice

Post by RaymieDubbs »

Keep us updated! I just love smooth peated whisky (whiskey). I think there are some local Irish shops where you can get peat kind of as a novelty, I think I might try smoking some grains if I can get a hold of some. In the US my go to drink is McCarthys Oregon Single Malt. Very light, smooth and peaty. I was recently in the UK and got into a great Islay called The Big Strand Whisky. Very similar to McCarthys IMO

http://hrdspirits.com/the-brands/mccart ... t-whiskey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/m ... nd-whisky/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

I’m not a fan of a heavy peated scotch like laphroaig. It’s just too intense for me. What I’m hoping for is a light to medium peated malt barley. I’m making some all malt barley whiskey now that I’ll age on used bourbon staves soaked In sherry. I’ll use this for blending if the flavor is too intense with the peat malt whiskey. This has been a fun experiment no matter how it comes out. I’m having lots of fun with this hobby and learn something new every day.
I’ll update how it’s progressing in around 6 months and then around a year from now. I think this is going to take some time to come into its own.
JBC
JBC
RaymieDubbs
Novice

Post by RaymieDubbs »

Awesome, thanks.