Oop's! another newbie mistake with a Parrot

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

ibfestus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oop's! another newbie mistake with a Parrot

Post by ibfestus »

Don't ask why, but I decided to get a parrot. The ones for sale were $50 - $150. I had a foot of 3/4" and a foot of 1/2" copper, a and the reducers, tees, etc cost me about $12. I put it all together and found a problem. It works great except you can't read the Proof and Tralle Hydrometer when it is in the tube... any help is appreciated.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Oop's! another newbie mistake with a Parrot

Post by firewater69 »

Is your input above your hydrometer?
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

So you built a custom parrot, your design was flawed, and you want us to tell you how to fix it? Sure thing, no problemo. So, you see, you just have to make it so it isnt fawed anymore. Specifically? Um, put it together in a way you CAN read the alcometer. More specifically? Um, just move the thing blocking your view.
You know, maybe a picture would help?
;)
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Um, did you discover this before or after you filled the parrot with alcohol?? No alcohol, no viewing, broken hydrometer no viewing, hydrometer upside down, no viewing. I've run out of potential problems.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Ibfestus, I dont want to pick on you in a mean way, just a fun way. But if you cant read it only because its not floating in alcohol yet, I'm gonna lol!
baznkez
Novice

Post by baznkez »

19679650_1420154488022941_587214924_n.jpg
Here Mate ,
this is what it needs to look like i made this but i am no plumber
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Look at baznkez's pjoto - the centre tube needs to be level with or higher than the edge of the cup.
baznkez
Novice

Post by baznkez »

about 2 or 3mm higher mine is
ibfestus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ibfestus »

Damn, I can't get the picture to post, but I copied a parrot I saw for sale on e-pay. Turns out I did a really good job in recreating the picture and after some more digging, the parrot this guy is selling can't work either. The cure was to cut off 1" of the reducer "tee," above the outlet allowing me to read the Hydrometer. I was a fool believing that if a guy was able to sell these things, they would work. Shit happens in your 70's and I still learn something new every day.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Getcha’ a hack saw....cut the bowl shorter. Also, a magnifying glass might help too...if yer’ bifocals won’t sit still enuf on yer nose. You been trying to drive before you know “how to stop”....

Seriously, I suggest reading a while before you blow yourself up, or poison yourself.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

I saw a bloke in one of the Facebook Moonshining Groups was flogging parrots where the center tube was too low in the collection cup to read. He got quite miffed when I pointed out the issue. Some people are just a$$holes.
Well done on fixing yours though :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

design flaws ya say, yeah I know design flaws :lol: here's my first parrot , looks the part but it won't work while liquid is feeding in not even with my smallest mini alcometre
Attachments
IMG_20171216_152048_868.jpg
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

thecroweater wrote:design flaws ya say, yeah I know design flaws :lol: here's my first parrot , looks the part but it won't work while liquid is feeding in not even with my smallest mini alcometre
Plus no dump valve on the bottom ya smeerin itall heheehee

AC
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

never use a parrot til hearts is running, never cared much for how heads is running. Blokes with free standing parrots don't have to worry about nuisances like smearing
Attachments
IMG_20171010_220718_784.jpg
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

still_stirrin wrote:Getcha’ a hack saw....cut the bowl shorter. Also, a magnifying glass might help too...if yer’ bifocals won’t sit still enuf on yer nose. You been trying to drive before you know “how to stop”....

Seriously, I suggest reading a while before you blow yourself up, or poison yourself.
ss
interesting response considering the join date of ibfestus
be water my friend
Codgerness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Codgerness »

What Pikey said: the inside pipe needs to be taller/longer than the top edge of your reducer, so your hydrometer floats above that edge in the alcohol. Then it spills over, trickles down the sides of the inside pipe, (about an inch worth), and is collected by the reducer.
Codgerness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Codgerness »

Also, the way a reducer is designed, there is a couple of indentations that stop the smaller diameter pipe from sliding on through the reducer for correct installation in normal plumbing applications. On the parrot I built, I simply filed these "dogs" off to allow the pipe to slide all the way through the reducer. I used 3/4" pipe for the hydrometer well, and let it protrude until the top edge of the 3/4" was taller than the top edge of the reducer by about 1 inch.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

don't forget to have some kind of atmosphere break. can't tell you how many times i've seen some one tie one straight in and then wonder why they get surging. not to mention the pressure build up
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Lucazzu
Novice

Post by Lucazzu »

That's mine Just fine today for 7€!! I didn't tried yet but i think It Will work fine!Image
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

That's purdy, what kind of fittings ar they?
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Lucazzu
Novice

Post by Lucazzu »

sltm1 wrote:That's purdy, what kind of fittings ar they?
I used copper fittings , i don't know how are they called but basically there's a big nipper that clamp and tighten them togheter with using any solder, i've Just added some solder is some places for sure!
(Sorry for my english, i'm italian!)