My first YEAR.....a fantastic hobby

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stilman
Novice

My first YEAR.....a fantastic hobby

Post by Stilman »

Just over a year....and sitting here now overseeing a strip run of TPW, Its great to think back to how much I have learned and where I have learned it. last winter I made a few batches of rum trying a few recipes...white and dark, dunder and flavoured with orange. It is all great....and a gallon put away for another time.

I distilled some apple wine I made and out came a wonderful brandy....now over a year old it is fantastic.;..although I learned lessons about going light with the nutmeg and such. Lessons are what this hobby is all about. There is a lesson in every batch....I do wish I was better at keeping records but I like surprises too.

I made many an all bran and TPW. From those I made some great gin trying infusions and also hanging it in a bag inside boiler under the column. The gin is the pleaser at home. Great last summer. I tried a few liquers with the neutral and even found some essences that were good....good enough for christmas presents anyhow.

I made corn flakes whisky (drinking a dram now...much improved over 8 months). I also made 2 different batches of single malt. Both I milled at home....one i fermented on grain and one I squeezed first. One heavily peated and one not. Both too sippable too early so I will not know what they would have been like after more time. For those, the rums and the CFW I used my own toasted oak staves which really really do a great job (learned to do it on the BBQ cause it they sure smelled up the house...with a lovely vanilla smell.

I have learned about equipment and the importance of having a good set-up. Access to water, a way to drain without it all going in the septic and keeping things clean and organized have made me a better man all around.

Home Distiller and Modern Distiller have been my best friend. I spent soooooo many hours on here and want to thank everybody who has contributed. Oh shit......I better get back down there!!!!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first YEAR.....a fantastic hobby

Post by fizzix »

Quite a rap sheet there. I hope to have the same thrill a year from now as you have.
What gin you doing? (Tomorrow I strain and distill Odin's Easy Gin for its 5 week development rest)
Anyway keep up the charge and nice meeting you!
KingE
Novice

Post by KingE »

Good work! I am also about a year in and it really is amazing to think back about all I’ve learned and enjoyed. Merry Christmas!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Good job, it looks like you are well on your way!

Stick around... It only gets better :thumbup:

Shine0n
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

You've done well , Pilgrim , considering .(Will Geer to Robert Redford in Jerimiah Johnson) The rewards are only just beginning . Stick around for the long haul .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

"You've done well, Pilgrim," (John Wayne to Jimmy Stewart in Who Killed Liberty Valance).

Just started my career. Would love to have half the year you've had. Great job!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Sounds great! I'm a little further in, but still having challenges building up aging stock. Looks like you are well along that path.