...Experience with an AG mash.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Neithergerm
Novice

Re: ...Experience with an AG mash.

Post by Neithergerm »

I'm planning to try something very similar as soon as my liquid enzymes arrive from Ferm Solutions!

I purchased 18kg (40lbs) of Jasmine Rice for around $30CAD which should be the perfect amount for my 20 gallon fermenter. This should work out to around around 0.9kg (2lbs) per US gallon and with proper conversion I'm hoping for 8-10% wash.

My plan is to distill 3/4 of the mash, and make the remainder into a rice wine. Once all my cuts, and blending is complete I would like to blend the completed spirits with the rice wine to make a high ABV shochu like spirit.

Had a few questions about your fermentation time, and how long it took to clear? I'm using an internal element and want to ensure zero possibility of scorching!!
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Primary ferment was about a week, no added heat. Finished in secondary a couple more days. Once fermentation was truly complete it cleared to near water clear in a few days. I racked a second time to facilitate clearing.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Neithergerm
Novice

Post by Neithergerm »

Thanks, can't wait to try this!
Mhdiez
Novice

Post by Mhdiez »

Zed, What a great AG (Rice) chronicle. You just saved me tons of online research. Thanks for sharing, will try asap. My first dram of rice whiskey will be up to you.

🙏🏼 Namaste!
Big Pun (Pun stands for Punisher)