First sacrificial stripping run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Utah
Novice

First sacrificial stripping run

Post by Utah »

Completed my first sacrificial stripping run from a Wineos sugar wash. Not sure I needed to do a sacrificial run since my still is put together from sanitary spool tube, but figured I would for two reasons. First, who knows there might be manufacturing contamination in the valves or SPP, but mostly because I didn’t want to offend the distilling gods by denying them their share. I made the still modular so I ran it in pot still mode.
potstill.jpg
Charged the boiler with 43L of 10% wash and ran the heating element at 3500w. I didn’t feel comfortable running at the 5500w max yet, but maybe I’m being too conservative and can kick it up next time. Even so, the boiler heated up quick to 160F after 45 minutes when the first drops came from the condenser. At 3500w the still wanted to run at an average of 400mL every 4 minutes. I collected down to 20%ABV in the last jar and got 7.6L total distillate. Took 2 hours from power on to power off.
Collected in jars so I could get used to running the still, get practice taking proof readings, and to try to train myself on detecting foreshots, heads, hearts, and tails. When a breeze started blowing off the coffee filters, I discovered what probably everyone else has also learned on their own—use rubber bands to keep them on the jars.
Took proof readings and they ranged from 64%ABV for the first to 20%ABV at the end. The whole batch is 43%ABV. I then sniffed all the jars to see what I could detect. Other than the acetone at the start and the nasty tales at the end, I couldn’t really distinguish what I was smelling. About ten minutes after I did all that sniffing, I noticed I had a mild headache. Since I never get headaches, I figured it must have been from smelling the jars. I’ll have to take that more careful next time.
Even with the headache, I had a great time! This hobby is going to be fun.
Next step will be to dilute the sacrificial low wines with some water and run it through my hybrid LM/VM column and then I’ll be ready to make something I can enjoy!
Alberta Rye Man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First sacrificial stripping run

Post by Alberta Rye Man »

Sounds like you're doing it the right way. Wish my little still had that kind of output. 2 hrs would probably get me around 3 qrts on a full out stripping run....
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: First sacrificial stripping run

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Utah wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:11 pm run at an average of 400mL every 4 minutes
Hope you have lower power options for that boiler or a controler.
Your output will be to fast on a spirit run at 6L an hour imo.