1st CCVM run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

savagedavid
Novice

1st CCVM run

Post by savagedavid »

I recently posted about my new CCVM build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=79906

I have been dying to try it out, since my other column is a 3" CM still, built using bad advice off YouTube (school fees well paid there). The CM is tricky to run and manage and now I mostly use it to strip because the RC is woefully inadequate for proper reflux operation.

Please criticize any part of what I did below, new to CCVM so I probably made a good few mistakes.

I filled my 30L keg boiler with around 11L of low wines, which was a combination of infected beer and brown sugar wash I had previously stripped. Did not measure but I am guessing around 35% ABV.

Anyway on to the CCVM. My time was rather limited so I had to shorten every part of the process. I packed the column with copper mesh pretty tightly, assembled everything and started it up. since I have no thermometer and have to guess everything, I left all cooling off until I saw vapour coming out the top, at this point I turned on full flow to PC and RC. Got a little trickle from the RC which slowed to a few drops, and a tiny bit of vapour from the top. Turned the gas down a notch, which stopped both the vapour flow and the trickle.

I then let that go for 15 minutes or so (again my time was very limited) after which I lifted the CC by 1 coil. I immediately got a steady drip of liquid, probably 1-2 drops per second. I let that run for about 100ml, then I lifted it another coil, which increased the runoff to a steady fast drip / stream.

I continued taking off 100ml at a time, checking smell and taste. the first 100ml was strong acetone. after that it started getting cleaner and cleaner. The last 200ml I could not detect anything besides a light rum / caramel taste, which I attributed to the brown sugar wash. At all times I was measuring 95% ABV.

I then dropped the RC back down to stop all flow and let it run like that for another 15-20 minutes. I then lifted the RC again to start taking off a steady stream of 95% at around 1.5 - 2L per hour. I kept taking off around 500ml at a time to check the product. The first litre or so still had some of the caramel sugar taste (which I did not mind, was actually really tasty). The following couple litres was pretty neutral, I would not say 100% neutral since it still has a little bit of malty caramel flavour, but very light.

I then started playing around with coil positions and heat. Lifting the coil a notch immediately increased the flow (I just love how responsive this column is), but dropped ABV to 94%. Increasing the heat also increased the flow, but ABV dropped to 93% and I started getting vapour out the top of the column. This gives me very good metrics for future runs, and I now know where my sweet spot is for what I want.

At around 3 1/2 litres of hearts in the flow rate slowed down quite drastically. At this point I tasted a sample and it was horrible! I assumed I was firmly in the tails portion, so at this point I turned it all off and called it a day since I was not too interested in collecting tails for this particular run.

All in all, I thought it was a very successful run. I am now very firmly a huge fan of the CCVM column. It is just so easy and painless to run. The only thing I am going to do is add another 100mm of tube on top, I feel it is a little short. Fortunately there is a TC ferrule on top so its and easy add on.
Setsumi
Distiller

Re: 1st CCVM run

Post by Setsumi »

sound as if you have it nice under control. congrats. yes CCVM is simple to build and run. only issue is the lenght of shell for the RC, but that you have sussed as well.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

You'll really love it if you change to electric, much finer control!
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

great report, the Doc is right, electric is the go! That initial caramel sugar tasting product is heads, smells great but ..... :p. Keep that column insulated and you’ll get even better level of control
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
savagedavid
Novice

Post by savagedavid »

Tummydoc wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:28 am You'll really love it if you change to electric, much finer control!
Hi Tummydoc

I fully intend to! I already had a hole cut and ferrule welded onto the side of another keg, but I think they cracked the seam while welding it so has a slight leak. It's back at the machine shop for repairs so I hope to have it back soon.

I just could not wait any longer to test it out, hence the gas route.
savagedavid
Novice

Post by savagedavid »

kimbodious wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:06 pm great report, the Doc is right, electric is the go! That initial caramel sugar tasting product is heads, smells great but ..... :p. Keep that column insulated and you’ll get even better level of control
Thanks, kimbodious

I'll definitely add some insulation, I have some lying around that will work a treat. Thanks for that tip on heads, would it help to let it run at equilibrium for a longer time to compress it further?