First run!!! and a lot of doubts

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

mndvtn2020
Novice

First run!!! and a lot of doubts

Post by mndvtn2020 »

Hi!!!!!! This is my first post here and I want to share my experiencie. First of all, I´m from Argentina and I speak spanish, so, appologies in advance for any gramatical mistake! lol

Last year a bought a 30 litre pot still
8A307A26-0EA2-4DB5-8528-F7C626904F3D.jpeg
I want to make a spirit made of cider (AKA: Calvados in France, Applejack -I think- in USA), so, I bought a lot os apples and made a 6,55% ABV homemade cider.
IMG-20200802-WA0000.jpeg
The result was 19 litres of cider. After that I started the firts Run.

I collected aproximatedly 1,95 LTs of spirits, I separated them in

300 ml 64% abv
150 ml
300 ml 55%
300 ml 53%
300 ml 50%
300 ml 45%
300 ml 39%

Just for precaution, I don't have the equipment to analyze the fractions to saparate them in the next run.

I wonder if it's ok to collect that quantity of spirit from 19litre of 6,55% abv cider.

Any advice is appreciated in advance!!!!
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First run!!! and a lot of doubts

Post by rubberduck71 »

MND, I may be doing the same! Please keep us updated on your progress/results. I have a dual-keg system in my garage fridge for hard, carbonated ciders, but am very eager to distill a batch.

What kind of yeast are you using? I've found that Nottingham Ale returns a nice flavor, but after a recent trip to wine country in upstate New York, there was a delicious cider made with Belgian Saison yeast. I found some online and will be trying that soon.

Also, check link below, or just google "calvados + homedistiller" and you'll see a few discussion threads already exist that will help you.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20971
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
mndvtn2020
Novice

Post by mndvtn2020 »

Thanks for the link!!!!!! The main idea wasn't make a drinkable cider, so I used a proportion of 2/1 Granny Smith and Red Delicious. The yeast used was

SAFCIDER from Fermentis Lab (made in France)
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I would aim for a minimum of 10 lots and probably more. That means 150-200ml per fraction. Makes it easier to do cuts. Once you get a few runs done, you can use larger containers in the hearts.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

If its a first pass through the pot still and you intend to do a spirit run, then it seems like a very conservative take to me.

From my notes, I had a 6.7% ABV Cider and collected (minus the foreshot) 2.7L @ 34%ABV from a 17L strip.

Nice pot still BTW. Though I'm not a fan of what looks like an EPDM gasket.
mndvtn2020
Novice

Post by mndvtn2020 »

bluefish_dist wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:33 pm I would aim for a minimum of 10 lots and probably more. That means 150-200ml per fraction. Makes it easier to do cuts. Once you get a few runs done, you can use larger containers in the hearts.
Thanks! The main Idea was to send to analyze in a lab the samples, so I can determinate how much methil do I have in first place and then with the experience make differents cuts, the problem is that in my country, the goverment Institute of wine and alcohol (INV) demands a minimum of 200ml per sample... I don't want to send that amount! lol
SaltyStaves wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:55 pm If its a first pass through the pot still and you intend to do a spirit run, then it seems like a very conservative take to me.

From my notes, I had a 6.7% ABV Cider and collected (minus the foreshot) 2.7L @ 34%ABV from a 17L strip.

Nice pot still BTW. Though I'm not a fan of what looks like an EPDM gasket.
How much foreshot did you throw away? adn, btw, I think that an "EPDM gasket" is the stainless stell part of the pot still, isn't it? there was a big difference between 100% cooper still and 50-50 in the final price
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

mndvtn2020 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:39 pm How much foreshot did you throw away?
Not much and I didn't throw it away. It was recycled back into my 'Sugardos' which I made with all the leftovers from the Calvados. Then it was discarded with the foreshot take from that run.
I think that an "EPDM gasket" is the stainless stell part of the pot still, isn't it? there was a big difference between 100% cooper still and 50-50 in the final price
How is the copper dome and the top of the stainless steel pot sealed?
_Merlin_
Novice

Post by _Merlin_ »

Your output is dangerously close to your open flame heat source.
mndvtn2020
Novice

Post by mndvtn2020 »

Thanks! I'll try to change it for the next time, but this is the only place where I can distill