Tell us about your mistakes.

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Tell us about your mistakes.

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 pm

It is with great sadness that I come to report the loss of a dear old copper friend, Mr. Liebig.

I was moving a bunch of stuff cross country in my van and I had to stop somewhere to off-load some items.
I had my stillin' gear in there and had to take some of it out of the van to get to the items under it, and I set my potstill's liebig condenser on the ground next to the rear wheel of the van.
It was a public space and I'm sure it is long gone by now. Anyway, it's not like I could go back and ask around "hey, anyone seen my likker still condenser around here?"

Somehow when I packed back up and left I just didn't notice it lying there and drove off without it.
Technically it's not a huge loss, it was a little short, the cap was in need of a bit of resoldering, and the cap was a little small, meaning the opening of the still was a little too small for me to get my arm in there anyway.
But it was my FIRST. My first condenser, through which my very first drops of whiskey trickled. I was inexcusably careless.

I'll miss you my old friend, you served me well.
my pot 01.jpg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
User avatar
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod
 
Posts: 3728
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:24 am

Re: Tell us about your mistakes.

Postby rgreen2002 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:07 pm

MichiganCornhusker wrote:It is with great sadness that I come to report the loss of a dear old copper friend, Mr. Liebig.

I was moving a bunch of stuff cross country in my van and I had to stop somewhere to off load some items.
I had my stillin' gear in there and had to take some of it out of the van to get to the items under it, and I set my potstill's liebig condenser on the ground next to the rear wheel of the van.
It was a public space and I'm sure it is long gone by now. Anywayt, it's not like I could go back and ask around "hey, anyone seen my likker still condenser around here?"

Somehow when I packed back up and left I just didn't notice it lying there and drove off without it.
Technically it's not a huge loss, it was a little short, the cap was in need of a bit of resoldering, and the cap was a little small, meaning the opening of the still was a little too small for me to get my arm in there anyway.
But it was my FIRST. My first condenser, through which my very first drops of whiskey trickled. I was inexcusably careless.

I'll miss you my old friend, you served me well.



I literally shed a tear...... :cry:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
User avatar
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Northeastern USA

Re: Tell us about your mistakes.

Postby Truckinbutch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:01 pm

rgreen2002 wrote:
MichiganCornhusker wrote:It is with great sadness that I come to report the loss of a dear old copper friend, Mr. Liebig.

I was moving a bunch of stuff cross country in my van and I had to stop somewhere to off load some items.
I had my stillin' gear in there and had to take some of it out of the van to get to the items under it, and I set my potstill's liebig condenser on the ground next to the rear wheel of the van.
It was a public space and I'm sure it is long gone by now. Anywayt, it's not like I could go back and ask around "hey, anyone seen my likker still condenser around here?"

Somehow when I packed back up and left I just didn't notice it lying there and drove off without it.
Technically it's not a huge loss, it was a little short, the cap was in need of a bit of resoldering, and the cap was a little small, meaning the opening of the still was a little too small for me to get my arm in there anyway.
But it was my FIRST. My first condenser, through which my very first drops of whiskey trickled. I was inexcusably careless.

I'll miss you my old friend, you served me well.

Bof us . My metal friends are very dear to me .
Sorry for your loss .

I literally shed a tear...... :cry:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
User avatar
Truckinbutch
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 6710
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Tell us about your mistakes.

Postby Hillbilly Popstar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:06 pm

I racked a cloudy wash into my boiler the night before a run, and while it sat over night a small amount of yeast settled to the bottom and scorched during the run.
"insert something profound and meaningful here"
User avatar
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:02 am

Re: Tell us about your mistakes.

Postby rgreen2002 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Dammit MCH.... the pictures just make it worse!!! :cry:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
User avatar
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Northeastern USA

Re: Tell us about your mistakes.

Postby miket » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Last night I made a corn,barly malt and rye batch, threw in about 4 times the diammonium phosphate I should have.About (4) 1/2 teaspoons when (1) 1/2 teaspoon would be correct. I looked and some mead recipies call out for more so Im running with it. The Yeast is the Red start DADY.
Next day its chugging like a turbo yeast, I guess it will do its thing.

Got that lesson out of the way... :/
miket
Novice
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Re: Tell us about your mistakes.

Postby Truckinbutch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:I racked a cloudy wash into my boiler the night before a run, and while it sat over night a small amount of yeast settled to the bottom and scorched during the run.

Easy mistake to make . After the first 3 for me I only live load and start the fire when I know that I will be able to stay the course . That scorchy shit settles fast without heat .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
User avatar
Truckinbutch
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 6710
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Tell us about your mistakes.

Postby thecroweater » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:32 am

so gone down the still house to do cuts, oh blast it forgot drink in water so back to the house spot a cut jar I meant to take down ,fine fill with water and head back down. So got my table and tea spoon get middle jar tbl spoon of water add plum brandy fine next jar on the other end of that row tast. What that actual f.... stare at what I did though did I mix the spoons up and put the spirit in the large spoon or was it it couldn't fill properly out of the cut jar, so I tipper the water in a whiskey tumbler and re-did it. Burn again confusion sets in far canal surely I didn't mix the spoons again. So grab the tumbler a take a gulp of "water" to mellow the 180 proof burn, penny drops as burn goes to defcon 5 and somehow I have mixed the water jar with a cut jar. Walk back up to the house and make a coffee before going any further
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
User avatar
thecroweater
Site Mod
 
Posts: 4413
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:04 am
Location: Central Highlands Vic. Australia

Previous

Return to Safety and Related Issues



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest