Pot Still Gasket / Seal

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

rad14701
retired

Re: Pot Still Gasket / Seal

Post by rad14701 »

jmashspirits14, that's great news... The problem was most likely due to the combination of rapid size reduction and cooling which caused the accelerated vapor speed to collapse prematurely, causing excessive turbulence within the entire vapor circuit... Your experience gives us some very useful information for future reference... Thanks for sharing...
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Post by FranklinNewhart »

jmashspirits14 wrote: I would love to have a shotgun condenser but I dont have the material resources locally to build such things. The largest copper pipe I can get here is 3/4". Ive checked Lowes and everywhere. If someone has one or would build me one for a reasonable price I would be delighted. The 16" x 2" column and 18" liebig only cost me $90. Even had I had the materials available locally I dont think I could have built it for that. I cant get copper npt's or anything here and what is available is expensive. I live in one of the top 3 poorest counties in the state.
To build a Shotgun Condenser is actually a pretty cheap project and can be done with only two of these fittings, " http://www.rona.ca/en/3-4-in-copper-tee-1424239--1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow " and a piece of 1/2 pipe for the shotgun and a piece of 3/4 pipe for the jacket.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

FranklinNewhart wrote:
jmashspirits14 wrote: I would love to have a shotgun condenser but I dont have the material resources locally to build such things. The largest copper pipe I can get here is 3/4". Ive checked Lowes and everywhere. If someone has one or would build me one for a reasonable price I would be delighted. The 16" x 2" column and 18" liebig only cost me $90. Even had I had the materials available locally I dont think I could have built it for that. I cant get copper npt's or anything here and what is available is expensive. I live in one of the top 3 poorest counties in the state.
To build a liebig Condenser is actually a pretty cheap project and can be done with only two of these fittings, " http://www.rona.ca/en/3-4-in-copper-tee-1424239--1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow " and a piece of 1/2 pipe for the liebig and a piece of 3/4 pipe for the jacket.
Fixed that for you.

A shot gun is several liebigs in one jacket.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Post by FranklinNewhart »

I am using one of these Liebeg/Shotgun condensers on my still but I use the jacket for the product and the shotgun for the coolant. Wound the jacket with #10 Copper wire and wound it backwards on purpose to make the product flow opposite to a Natural Northern Hemisphere Vortex. It actually takes a little more time to flow down the length of the jacket so it gets more cooling on the way.