Pot Still Gasket / Seal

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

googe
retired

Re: Pot Still Gasket / Seal

Post by googe »

Silicon, epdm, nylon etc all leach bad stuff. Have a look here, http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

Im not arguing, im just trying to say there has to be something out there with so many commercial distilleries. Surely licenced distilleries are regulated by the FDA and or USDA? Im just trying to learn.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

I would imagine the regulations arnt that stringent when it comes to goberment, some of the shit they allow in our food is scary. We as hobbyists have the ability to be above there regulations, even if we're being paranoid, at the end of the day we're trying to produce something superior and as safe as we can be. We do need better research, but being an illegal hobby for most makes it hard.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

True and it shouldnt be illegal. Why does Nevada get to make liquor, or why do a few counties in Tennessee get to do it??? If people can't make at least 25-50 gal of spirits a year for themselves it shouldn't be allowed to make beer or wine. Alcohol is alcohol, as long as distilling is done carefully and responsibly its safe.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Take a bite of it. Chew it for a while. Then swollow it.
Don't want to do that? Don't put it in your still.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Since when is home distillation legal in Nevada and parts of Tennessee...???

Don't be so sure that anyone is keeping track of distilleries other than the TTB... Local code enforcement, perhaps... Fire inspections in some areas, perhaps... Insurance underwriter inspections for general liability issues, perhaps... County health department inspections in some areas for certain issues, perhaps... But they won't be checking seals and gaskets to insure that they of a proper material because, to be quite honest, they don't know what is or isn't safe themselves... If a joint isn't leaking they will consider it safe - end of story... And to the best of my knowledge no distillery is required to have samples lab tested for any reason unless there is a specific complaint...
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

Currently California wineries are under investigation for too much arsenic in their wine.
So apparently there have been enough complaints.
There is no constant supervision so it is up to the business owner to control his product safety.
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

I see. Home distillation is legal in Nevada, and 4 or 5 counties in Tennessee, which 4-5 I am unsure of. These two places a permit is required and taxes must be paid.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

jmashspirits14 wrote:I see. Home distillation is legal in Nevada, and 4 or 5 counties in Tennessee, which 4-5 I am unsure of. These two places a permit is required and taxes must be paid.
Not according to the Feds. http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/home-distilling.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
You may want to check your sources before handing out incorrect information.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

Its not incorrect, its state law. There is no Nevada State Law that prohibits home distillation unless intending to defraud the state (sell untaxed liquor). The feds are just ridiculous, same as with the pot law. California and Colorado its legal to grow and use marijuana for medicinal purpose but its still a federal crime. Just bs. However the feds dont mess with them as long as they stay within state laws. A person living in Nevada distilling alcohol at home would have to do something major for the feds to get involved. They arent going to come in on someone with a 5 gallon still making thier own hooch. They have much bigger fish to fry. If im told to not hand out incorrect info then go to copper moonshine stills website and tell them to take the Nevada state laws off thier site for intoxicating beverage production. They have all the States laws on distillation for anyone to read.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

googe wrote:Silicon, epdm, nylon etc all leach bad stuff. Have a look here, http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
How do you conclude, from that site, that EPDM leaches bad stuff?
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

jmashspirits14 wrote:I see. Home distillation is legal in Nevada, and 4 or 5 counties in Tennessee, which 4-5 I am unsure of. These two places a permit is required and taxes must be paid.
Unenforced law is not the same as legality. Federal law trumps state law in all cases.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Well hell I'm just gonna still with the garage door open now. When lvmpd comes by I'm gonna give them the finger and say jmash said I could. There are laws on the books here that are not mentioned on that site.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

NRS 369.495  Unlawful to make, store, possess or transport liquor with intent to defraud State; penalty.
1.  It is unlawful for a person to make, store, possess or transport liquor with the intent to defraud the State.
2.  A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a category D felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.

Making booze and not paying a tax on it is covered right here.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

Right, with THE INTENT to defraud the state, rip off, steal, avoid taxation by selling untaxed spirits. If it was completely illegal to make and consume spirits Nevadas law would state the same as North Carolina, one may not distil spirits for ANY reason. They dont even allow it for fuel in that state at all. The way Nevadas law is worded any decent lawyer would have you out of a charge in 5 minutes. That doesnt mean to you should avertise however.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

So where do you get your law degree? While studying for the bar you went over all of nv law and statue right. Did you see the law about wearing a fake mustache while riding a camel down the freeway? No? Then you haven't seen all the laws and in no way should you go spouting crap that you don't know about. End rant have fun trolling jmash.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

earlier in the thread it was mentioned that testing has been done with Teflon and it took years of research and to get approved.

are there any threads from that time that can be posted up ? I would love to read them just for my own education

thanks
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

jmashspirits14 wrote:Right, with THE INTENT to defraud the state, rip off, steal, avoid taxation by selling untaxed spirits. If it was completely illegal to make and consume spirits Nevadas law would state the same as North Carolina, one may not distil spirits for ANY reason. They dont even allow it for fuel in that state at all. The way Nevadas law is worded any decent lawyer would have you out of a charge in 5 minutes. That doesnt mean to you should avertise however.
Skipped through couple pages. Now I'm no lawyer, but are you paying taxes on the liquor you make? Do you go and say "i made X amount of ethanol, so here is the Y amount of dollars you would have taxed". If not, then there is your intent to defraud.

On topic now: flour paste hasn't failed me yet. Plus ya got a biscuit when ur done if you are THAT hungry
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

moosemilk wrote: On topic now: flour paste hasn't failed me yet. Plus ya got a biscuit when ur done if you are THAT hungry
I haven't ever been that hungry. My dog sure liked them though. Haven't used flour for a while but keep a bag on hand just in case.
12bolts
Novice
Location: Hiding behind the dog on the tuckerbox on the road to Gundagi

Post by 12bolts »

Bit of an old post but the thread seems to still be current
Mark Ducati wrote: http://www.marcorubber.com/silicone.htm
Silicone O-Rings temps good to 232 deg F
......Taken from the disclaimer in the header....
Limitations:
.........Concentrated solvents, oils, concentrated acids, diluted sodium hydroxide, hydrocarbon based fuels, aromatic mineral oil
Aromatic Hydrocarbons (benzene, toluene)

Cheers Phil
I know the voices in my head arent real, but they do have some good ideas.
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Maybe something like this
http://www.ptfegraphite.com/Pure-PTFE-T ... cking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

Im assembling my first keg still, I thought about buying one of those flared copper column kits with the 4" flared column attachment, seal, and triclamp. Does anyone know if those are sound and if the gaskets are safe for alcohol vapor? While im here, how can I tell if my keg is stainless? Its a 15.5 gal Anheuser-Busch keg with a Sanke valve system.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Got a link?
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

No link but its the column kits that are sold on ebay for $35. Has a 4" piece of 2" flared copper pipe, gasket seal, and tri-clamp. Ill try to get a link.
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

Pic? The description doesnt really say much.
Attachments
__3.jpg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

The gasket looks like silicone. You want PTFE (teflon). Many places sell them,,,for about a buck, or slightly more.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

My keg still is complete, instead of building the column and liebig I bought one fully assembled. It came today and the condenser just seems small. I knew the diamentions when I bought it but now that I have it it just seems small. The total length is 18" and the water jacket is only 12". The liebig is 1/2" copper and the jacket is 3/4". Is this going to condense 100% of the alcohol vapor? I dont need vapor escaping because the only heat source I have at the moment is a 220,000 btu propane burner. Im eventually going to install a 5500W electric element but the controlers are ridiculous in price!
Attachments
2015-06-16 18.23.17.jpg
2015-06-16 18.23.17.jpg (7.27 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

jmashspirits14,

You need about 4 of those to get close to your heat load. That thing is "dinky". An 18" shotgun with 4 x 1/2" vapor tubes might work for your needs. But not that one.

I know why the seller wanted to sell it....it's not functional in service.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

He builds them and sells them. Hes built and sold 6000 of them with no complaints. It just looked awful damn small once I had it in front of me. Im only running this as a beer still for stripping off low wines so ill be only running the burner as slow as possible just to strip off low wines. Even still im going to add more 1/2" pipe and another water jacket. Any suggestions on length for the second condenser?
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

For a stripping still that size you are best served following the advice SS gave you. Exact numbers are impossible to give but I'd say that his estimate was good.

Fella claims to have sold 6,000 of those to happy customers? That dog don't hunt. Not even for a minute.