how safe is aluminum?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

lake
Novice

how safe is aluminum?

Post by lake »

exactly how safe is aluminum when using it for distilling? i have already read a lot of information on this site that says it is safe to use but everyone around me seems to think it is poisonous to use in a still. but it cant be that poisonous i mean it is used in a lot of cooking utensils and aluminum foil and you dot see people dieing from that stuff do you? what should i tell them when they tell me that aluminum is poisonous to use in a still?
olddog
retired

Re: how safe is aluminum?

Post by olddog »

lake wrote:i have already read a lot of information on this site that says it is safe to use
I can't recall ever seeing that. Aluminium should be avoided as the corrosive effect of boiling mash will eat into the surface.
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Problem is,,, it just does not hold up.
Aluminum pot will eventually spring a leak. Thats especially bad over an open flame.

Stainless or copper has an exponentially better service life.... Unless you run your boiler dry over an open flame.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

EHHhh, I don't know that it's poisonous but if you use it in a still it pits out in like 5 or 6 runs. That aluminum is going somewhere, into your spirits maybe? So I guess I would tell them that they could be right.

At the very least it corrodes badly so it's a wast of time to use in a still, you will be replacing it shortly.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
lake
Novice

Post by lake »

even a very thick pressure cooker will spring a leak?
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

rubber duck wrote:That aluminum is going somewhere, into your spirits maybe?
the idea makes me shudder. lake, just ditch the aluminum. bad news.

ill tell ya, i found a stainless stell pressure cooker at a thrift store for $5.50. look around. eventually you will find what you are looking for.

dont sacrifice safety/life/good hobby experiance in the name of haste. build other parts of your still while looking for a suitable boiler.

be safe and good luck
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
lake
Novice

Post by lake »

yea i think im going to try to use a stainless steel stockpot that i have lying around but last time i used it it had a lot of leaks that i tried to stop by using oatmeal but it didn't work any other suggestions on how to stop the leaks?
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Silver solder works well for small pin hole stuff.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

use the search box at the top of the page for "sealing with flour paste". oatmeal is good for eating :lol:

that search box could very well be your new best friend...i know i good acquaitences with it now. saved me embarrassment as well. i know somewhere on here there is a flour paste recipe...hell it may even be FLOUR and WATER. i never used it before. check to be sure.

or better yet, get a keg :ewink:
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"